Upcoming Films

Quintus

He still needs to grow into his looks more before I'm able to take him completely seriously as a mature actor taking mature parts. When does he turn forty?

He's just ageing too beautifully; to his acting detriment. He needs some aged facial characteristics.

LOL

GI Joe 2 pushed back from June 2012 to March 2013 so it can be converted to 3D

http://www.marketwat...n-3d-2012-05-23

Riiiiiiiiight. More likely it sucked and they were embarrassed releasing it in the summer time, and hope that by making it 3D they will get a few more box office dollars

Of course, the truth is, the movie will flop (like his previous films) and Dominik and this poster will never be heard of again.

Dominik's films get limited releases, he's an independent filmmaker. Killing Them Softly will surely draw a bigger crowd than Jesse James, though, being more gangster crime than traditional western. Here's a short clip with Pitt and Jenkins. I was expecting the film to be more heavy-handed, but I'm sure it won't disappoint.

The Assassination Of Jesse James is not a traditional western, Koray, and that was most likely the reason why it wasn't a big crowd movie.

You cold be right about Killing Them Softly though, it could make him some money (and Pitt of whom I suspect he's Dominik's private banker). In any case, it's one of THE 3 important movies of the year for me. The Dominik one, the new Michael Haneke (which played at Cannes a few days ago and I've heard it's incredible) and the new Paul Thomas Anderson.

Alex

The Assassination Of Jesse James is not a traditional western, Koray, and that was most likely the reason why it wasn't a big crowd movie.

I meant traditional in the sense that it wasn't an action film with gunslingers and Mexican standoffs. It's a character drama.

it's not like westerns are big crowd movies to begin with.

... the new Michael Haneke (which played at Cannes a few days ago and I've heard it's incredible) .

[media=]

And Amour just won the Palm D'or at the Cannes Festival! Yes! Second time in a row for Haneke!

It says next to nothing about the film as a whole and yet I'm thoroughly intrigued.

That looks fantastic. I love the visual style so far. Definitely one of my most anticipated now for this year.

That teaser is simply mesmerizing, reminiscent of There Will Be Blood. It says so much without saying much at all.

the reason why ET meets Alien won't be coming soon to a theatre near you.

Ouucchhhh.

545607_10150885331789232_502839231_9983324_785011110_n.jpg

That teaser is simply mesmerizing, reminiscent of There Will Be Blood. . It says so much without saying much at all.

My thoughts exactly. Phoenix seems be pretty impressive here. He's a different person ... exaggerated (plus extreme close-up) but totally impressive ... much like Daniel -Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood.

Jesus Christ! Three of my favorite 3 directors are releasing their new movie this year!

Alex - who's now waiting for the teaser from Killing Them Softly

The Master is shot on 65mm. Apparently PTA used the same camera that Kubrick used for 2001: ASO.

the_master-620x332.png

Looks at the use of symmetry

Alex

The Master is very intriguing, can't wait!

I must say I'm looking forward to this. I really like Hooper's work for The King's Speech. And this film looks gorgeous. I've never seen the musical, but the book has always been a personal favourite. Anne Hathaway as Fantine seems very interesting.

Looks at the use of symmetry

Alex

What if it was a dolly shot? It'd just be a bloke walking under a chassis. Leg-pulling aside, there's nothing special about the "use" of symmetry, under a chassis - an inherently symmetrical environment.

Leg-pulling aside, there's nothing special about the "use" of symmetry, under a chassis - an inherently symmetrical environment.

Which PTA utilizes to the fullest. PTA wanted the camera that was used for 2001: ASO. Then I see this still. A connection is made. Of course, I realize it could just as well be a coincidence (Hmm). It's just that after reading about a specific camera used for a specific film, I thought it was a striking still. I see no real reason why you feel compelled to oppose this. Would you be surprised if The Master exhibited some of PTA's love for Kubrick? Really?! Well, let's talk further when we know a little bit more about the film.

I would never oppose a flair for ingenious photography; I just haven't seen any yet. PTA is am interesting director, but the teaser didn't entice me. I too need to learn a little more before getting a sense of anticipation.

Phoenix is definitely a draw for me, though.

I think it's the best trailer of the moment (that I know of, of course). Talking about photography, the cinematographer Mihai Malaimare Jr. is a fairly newcomer. He did Youth Without Youth for Coppola but I never saw that one.

Yeah, the lighting in that shot helps give that feel. Judging by the fashions in the teaser, it's set in the fifties or sixties. Unless they were flashbacks.

Yeah, the lighting in that shot helps give that feel. Judging by the fashions in the teaser, it's set in the fifties or sixties. Unless they were flashbacks.

At least part of it is. I think the beach stuff was supposed to be in WWII, and the brunt of the story is postwar. Philip Seymour Hoffman is playing a religious leader and Phoenix becomes a follower. Apparently the story has a lot of similarities with the development of Scientology.

I am so sorry.

I'm not yet convinced that this is going to be exceptionally good. It feels more like a Tarantino comedy than a Dominik film.

If I'm seeing anyone other than Dominik it's Soderbergh and not Tarantino. As I commented earlier, I was expecting it to be more heavy-handed, but still have high expectations. From the two clips I've seen it looks a bit gray and monotone in lighting, little contrast. Should have stuck with Deakins.

Yes, I have. You see gangsters ... Brad Pitt ... sunglasses ... it's like Ocean's Eleven, right? Makes sense, but when I look at the way they talk to each other, I still think it's more like Tarantino.

The tone of Soderbergh's Ocean films is too glamorous and shiny. This is much more smaller and earthy like Tarantino. Can't believe you don't hear it.

The tone here (meaning the whole film) is obviously much darker than that of Ocean's, but from this clip I get a sense of light-heartedness. The one you posted cuts out Jenkins' last line of "Fly coach." It's dry humor. Tarantino goes for more tension and eloquence in his dialogue.

Granted this is only 50 seconds of footage from what is most likely a film over 2 hours, so we could both be wrong.

Checked some reviews (2), they speak of partly Tarantino and partly Coen brothers (due to the dark tone and style of character interaction).

Notice that Alex uses reviews to support his arguments when they do in fact support his argument, otherwise he disregards reviews that do not.

Well, it's something that can't be proven. It's something you feel or you don't. But if someone keeps insisting that that I'm seeing things, I like to prove that I'm not the only one. There are no reviews that say the character conversations of Killing Them Softly feel like Ocean 11 or Soderbergh.