GNP Crescendo announces Star Trek First Contact Complete.

Ollie

4 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Make sure to get Star Trek: Insurrection at the same time. That score plays better in complete form than this one does!

Yavar

Yeah, it's arguably the better score. First Contact is my favorite ST movie, though, so it's a tough call. I can't get them all at once, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Yeah, it's arguably the better score. First Contact is my favorite ST movie, though, so it's a tough call. I can't get them all at once, unfortunately.

Well you'd save on shipping from GNP if you got them together! (Just don't get rid of your original Insurrection album, because it has a unique longer version of "The Children's Story" whereas the expanded edition could only fit the shorter film version on a single disc.)

For me Insurrection is a MUCH more consistently enjoyable listen all the way through compared with First Contact, and it is chock full of incredible (and usually gorgeous) new themes -- the love theme, the "New Sight" theme, and the Ba'Ku theme in particular. But First Contact arguably has some greater highlights even if it's less consistent.

Yavar

1 hour ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Insurrection is kinda annoying though.

The synths? The re-used motif from US Marshals? Yeah, not my favorite elements but they're not what I take away primarily, when listening to the score.

Is there nothing annoying to you in First Contact?

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The synths? The re-used motif from US Marshals? Yeah, not my favorite elements but they're not what I take away primarily, when listening to the score.

Is there nothing annoying to you in First Contact?

Yavar

That 6 note motif that plays over and over in every damn cue.

10 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

That 6 note motif that plays over and over in every damn cue.

Are you referring to Goldsmith’s own Danger Motif?

Da-Da-Da-Duhhhhhhhhhhh-Da!!

I despise that brass idea in US Marshals. It’s beyond obnoxious in that score compared to Insurrection.

The score in Marshals is so overbearingly mixed. Takes me out of the movie. 

On 14/04/2023 at 9:30 PM, Andy said:

Are you referring to Goldsmith’s own Danger Motif?

Da-Da-Da-Duhhhhhhhhhhh-Da!!

That motif is a variation on the "friendship" motif, written, originally, for STAR TREK V. Jerry used it in the three subsequent Star Trek films that he scored.

3 hours ago, NL197 said:

I despise that brass idea in US Marshals. It’s beyond obnoxious in that score compared to Insurrection.

The score in Marshals is so overbearingly mixed. Takes me out of the movie. 

Yeah it’s why for years US Marshals was a Bottom 10 Goldsmith score for me. Thankfully the expansion added some more variety including that lovely long lined theme in “The Pen” and a few other cues. I really wish THAT had been the primary musical idea of the score.

For years I had trouble loving Insurrection too, but then I realized that reused action motif is only a small part of it and it has so many great new thematic ideas which are far more inspired.

Yavar

The one and only "complaint" I have about the Insurrection albums are that neither of them have the softer fade out for the end of "New Sight" as heard in the film. For many years I've tried but never nailed to achieve that in editing. It's such a beautiful cue and then that harsh brass interruption (not heard in the film when the Son'a ships arrive over the planet.)

Whenever I listen to the album I immediately reach for the volume when I know it's coming. 

19 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That motif is a variation on the "friendship" motif, written, originally, for STAR TREK V. Jerry used it in the three subsequent Star Trek films that he scored.

Yes the Busy Man variation, right?  Are we talking about a different motif from US Marshals and First Contact?  I think even Air Force One used similar stylings for action with  short short short lonnnnng short attacks. 

13 hours ago, NL197 said:

The one and only "complaint" I have about the Insurrection albums are that neither of them have the softer fade out for the end of "New Sight" as heard in the film. For many years I've tried but never nailed to achieve that in editing. It's such a beautiful cue and then that harsh brass interruption (not heard in the film when the Son'a ships arrive over the planet.)

Whenever I listen to the album I immediately reach for the volume when I know it's coming. 

I have a similar complaint about First Contact’s Main Title with the Borg music breaking in.  I wish we had a discrete ending of the original performance of the Main Title. 

22 minutes ago, Andy said:

Yes the Busy Man variation, right?  Are we talking about a different motif from US Marshals and First Contact?

It’s a different motif in US Marshals and Insurrection. It’s not the Busy Man theme and not in FC.

23 minutes ago, Andy said:

I have a similar complaint about First Contact’s Main Title with the Borg music breaking in.  I wish we had a discrete ending of the original performance of the Main Title. 

With you there, 100%!

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It’s a different motif in US Marshals and Insurrection. It’s not the Busy Man theme and not in FC.

If anyone gets a chance to post a clip, I’m curious which is the offending motif. 

3 hours ago, Andy said:

If anyone gets a chance to post a clip, I’m curious which is the offending motif. 

play it at time code 1:07. 

Also:

18 seconds into this one 

Then:

play at 3:51 and also 5:10 

Now, it’s not as bad in Insurrection but in US Marshals it’s basically the main theme and holy shite…I mean it’s kind of fun when you hear that over Tommy Lee Jones unmasking himself in a chicken costume, but by the time you get to the big chase sequence on a subway train the score is so loud and in the audience’s faces it’s just ridiculous, and not in a fun over the top ridiculous way, but a “hey turn that down it’s too loud” kind of way. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I suspect First Contact and Insurrection would have been 2CD sets had LLL or Intrada been able to do them instead of GNP Crescendo

Ironic that of the three Trek feature scores they controlled in perpetuity, it was the Dennis McCarthy one they gave a second disc to, to reprise the original album. And they left it off for Insurrection which actually had a longer cue on the original album!

Yavar

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased this expanded score and Insurrection in order to expand my Goldsmith palette. However, I'm a little confused as to which Goldsmith (Jerry or Joel) wrote the cue "Borg Montage" (track 13).

On the back of the CD, it credits Joel as the composer. There is also an alternate version of the "Borg Montage" cue, which is credited to Jerry.

Then, as I was reading the online track-by-track analysis (https://www.gnpcrescendo.com/firstcontact/GNPD-8079-opt.pdf), I noticed track 13 was credited to Jerry, not Joel. 

Clearly, either the back of the CD or the liner notes are incorrect. Does anybody here know who wrote this cue?