Empire of the Sun coming to Blu-ray June 19th

TownerFan

Nah mate!

Apart from Halle's impressive bod, and the score. Not much there.

Must watch it again soon.

Die Another Day is by far one of the worst, if not the worst, Bond film. At a minimum, it ranks up there with the worst of the Roger Moore films. Yeah, it's like the "View to a Kill" of the Brosnan era.

You're coming dangerously close to ruining the respect I've gained for your taste in cinema during the short time I've been here.

The Moore films are fantastically underrated. The Spy Who Loved Me, For Yours Eyes Only, and Octopussy are very very entertaining films. I will give you a View to a Kill, but even the lesser Moore Bonds, Man with the Golden Gun, and Live and Let Die are very watchable, and Moonraker is wonderfully bad, and yet beautiful shot, and vastly entertaining. And that score...

I'm not knocking the Moore films, Spy Who Loved Me is my favourite Bond film, and I think For Your Eyes Only is pretty damn good itself. And I agree with you about Moonraker...it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. And the score, yeah, it's gorgeous. I don't like Octopussy as much as I remember, and the other one's you mentioned I don't think much of.

As an aside, I wasn't a big fan of the first two Craig Bond's, but I thought Skyfall was exceptional.

mine was Die Hard, and I don't even own it anymore in any format.

My first DVD was Braveheart. The first time I can remember being blown away by DVD video and sound quality was when I bought Band of Brothers...the D-Day scene was a revelation for me in terms of home theatre potential.

Spielberg is sort of dismissive of Temple Of Doom also.

I do like that the Berg is still rather restraint when it comes to talking about his films. In a era were most film makers happily tell everything about their films, what they mean, how they are made. He still prefers to let the films speak for themselves.

Most of his recent blu releases contradict this.

Have to agree with Koray actually. Hadn't thought about it till now but it's just occurred to me that Spielberg is VERY enthusiastic and ANIMATED whenever I've seen him talking about his movies, especially his older ones. And he also loves to rest his chin on his clasped fists when thinking back, which suggests affection.

51Tam4IAQZL_SL500_AA300__zps17a5ee4c.jpg

It's mine!

No, it's mine! I saw it first! :)

That BD is nice, especially if you're a Williams fan...unlike most "war" movies, the sound mix is such that the battlefield sounds are not overwhelming, even on the 5.1 presentation, and the score is really out in front during the battle scenes. Of course, it's a matter of preference whether this is a good thing or not.

No, it's mine! I saw it first! :)

That BD is nice, especially if you're a Williams fan...unlike most "war" movies, the sound mix is such that the battlefield sounds are not overwhelming, even on the 5.1 presentation, and the score is really out in front during the battle scenes. Of course, it's a matter of preference whether this is a good thing or not.

It was a major problem with my Master and Commander blu actually. I watched late at night and had to keep upping the volume during dialogue and scrambling for the volume down button during the action. It was really fucking annoying.

Change of marketing? They tried to sell it one way in theaters and that didn't get results they wanted so they try something different for the video release?

They typically try to depict more action than what the film typically has. Examples:

Munich.Poster.jpg1214676644_1215002752.jpg

collateral_poster.jpgcollateralbluraycoverart.jpg

It was a major problem with my Master and Commander blu actually. I watched late at night and had to keep upping the volume during dialogue and scrambling for the volume down button during the action. It was really fucking annoying.

That's the reason why I haven't yet upgraded M&C to Blu. Last time I watched my DVD, I'm sure the first gunshot was loudly heard in the entire house.

I have new speakers as well. That first shot nearly blew the ceiling off the living room, it was ridiculous!

Here's the cover in the USA

81Yyy5W9mzL._AA1500_.jpg

I'm looking at my own copy now with exactly the same art and the only real problem and reason it looks a bit shit is because it looks like Bale has been cut out with scissors and slapped on over the background. It'd be a lovely cover actually if he wasn't on it.

Change of marketing? They tried to sell it one way in theaters and that didn't get results they wanted so they try something different for the video release?

They typically try to depict more action than what the film typically has. Examples:

Munich.Poster.jpg1214676644_1215002752.jpg

collateral_poster.jpgcollateralbluraycoverart.jpg

I hope they do that with the Schindler's List blu-ray. Schindler would be pointing a handgun towards the viewer with Itztack Stern standing behind him firing a machine gun.

This would all be in color.

I really did not like Collateral. It's a typical Michael Mann clusterf***. He's an awful director.

Really? I loved it, found it to be cool and warm at the same time. Probably my favorite Cruise performance. It's the only Mann I really like. He's really only known because of Heat, and I found that to be quite overrated.