John Williams special on KUSC Radio (Sunday, Feb 26th 1-3 p.m., hosted by Jon Burlingame)

TownerFan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish there was more interview and less of the music that we've all heard a million times before....but we aren't really in the target audience for this (being a bit too hardcore and all), so I guess that's understandable.

Yeah we got the Great Performances theme and I'm always glad to see programs like this that treat folks to a good sampling but IMHO and to my tastes I liked Erik's recent tribute for its selections more!

Still a great treat on a Sunday Evening... even if I only got the second half and sometimes in less then stellar quality.

I think it's when Burlingame said JW has elevated film music from it's "much maligned" status. I think that's pretty reasonable. Conservative musicians are still pretty biased against film music, but it used to be much worse.

If someone has recorded the entire two hour special, will that person put it up on here or bring up a link to it?

Also, could someone notify me if and when it is available.

I was listening to the special on my Ipod, but I was on the road, and the area I arrived at interfered with the connection, so I missed the whole last hour.

So, if a replay of the entire special is available, will someone please notify me? Thank you.

other than the Great Performances theme , the rest of the show is pretty useless

That's a bit harsh! A lot of work and time went into producing the program. It might not be for you but it wasn't useless!

-Erik-

No no, that's not what I'm saying!

I mean as keeping a recording of it. All those other cues are on c.d. in much higher quality

I'm a bit disappointed the only version of Great Performances we'll have for the next 20 years is 128kbps only

Ah damn I missed this by a few hours! Did anyone record it?

I recorded it. I'll upload it tomorrow.

Cool. Great! I can't wait to listen to this. :)

Does anyone have some storage space (the recording is 320 megs) that I can use so others can hear this program because I've gotten several requests for the radio program? If so, please PM me.

What was the first piece at the start of the program? I don't think he identified it....and the one that was at the end? That was some really fine writing but I don't recognize what its from.

What was the first piece at the start of the program? I don't think he identified it....and the one that was at the end? That was some really fine writing but I don't recognize what its from.

Both were selections from his American Journey score, as I recall.

Both were selections from his American Journey score, as I recall.

And you recall right :)

In the start of the show, Burlingame used the beginning of the piece, and for the end, a selection from the final movement.

Yeah we got the Great Performances theme and I'm always glad to see programs like this that treat folks to a good sampling but IMHO and to my tastes I liked Erik's recent tribute for its selections more!

Still a great treat on a Sunday Evening... even if I only got the second half and sometimes in less then stellar quality.

Thanks Brian! Unfortunately, Jon was limited to two hours of programming. I can't imagine how hard it was for him to decide what he was going to play and what he would ultimately have to drop. It was much easier for me to produce my program because I don't have any real time limits and I'm my own boss. If I wanted to produce a 10-part special I could of. I thought Jon did a really good job, however, and this is just me, if you are going to feature a score or a specific track let the track in this case play from start to finish without interruption!

-Erik-

Thanks Brian! Unfortunately, Jon was limited to two hours of programming. I can't imagine how hard it was for him to decide what he was going to play and what he would ultimately have to drop. It was much easier for me to produce my program because I don't have any real time limits and I'm my own boss. If I wanted to produce a 10-part special I could of. I thought Jon did a really good job, however, and this is just me, if you are going to feature a score or a specific track let the track in this case play from start to finish without interruption!

-Erik-

Agreed!

So why are these concerts still streamed in 128 kbps MP3?

a)For the few people that still have dial up connections

b) Never bothered to upgrade the format as time went by

c)To prevent us from recording it in slightly less than atrocious sound quality

Is anybody willing to record the extra bits that will air this Saturday at 8 AM PST? I won't be able to tune in at that time.

So why are these concerts still streamed in 128 kbps MP3?

a)For the few people that still have dial up connections

b) Never bothered to upgrade the format as time went by

c)To prevent us from recording it in slightly less than atrocious sound quality

Most live streams are 128k. I have seen a few 160k and 192k but if you look at the streaming stations on iTunes most are 128k and lower. I'm sure it has something to do with bandwidth and costs. I stream my show at 128k.

-Erik-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...