Headphones

bob23

From what I read,Bose Triport headphones accentuates the bass and drown out all the middle frequencies.Not good for orchestral soundtracks in which you need a very neutral sound.

also one of my friends had a pair,I briefly tried them and kinda went "ewww"

I got a pair of Bose Triport headphones for Father's Day.

I have mixed feelings about them, they sounded great with songs (Rock, R &B, pop etc etc.) but with film scores there's something missing.

That's EXACTLY how I feel with the ones I showed above. Amazing bass and ooomph makes normal songs great, but at least at first, scores just sounded a bit distant and not very 'surrounding'. I actually considered trying to find a pair of my old ones, but they're not made any more and I've gotten used to the sound of these more.

From what I read,Bose Triport headphones accentuates the bass and drown out all the middle frequencies.

That's about what I've heard about pretty much anything Bose produces.

Yeah,I had Bose 601 speakers for my home theater back in the days.Couldn't wait to get rid of them.The paper woofers eventually desintegrated.

K.M.

Since I now have my desk and PCs in a different room than my trusty Arcam receiver and Tannoy boxes after moving, I've hooked it up to my old cheap Denon system and Magnat speakers. Right now, there's still a big cardboard box next to the sub, and the front speakers are behind the curtains... the system isn't very good to begin with, but in the current configuration, it's horrible.

Luckily, I've also hooked the PC up to the Arcam (digitally), so at night I listen with headphones connected to that one.

From what I read,Bose Triport headphones accentuates the bass and drown out all the middle frequencies.Not good for orchestral soundtracks in which you need a very neutral sound.

also one of my friends had a pair,I briefly tried them and kinda went "ewww"

Some Williams CDs also have that "Bose" sound. Some people refer to it as "silky". Imagine playing Jurassic Park on a Bose set!

It's the headphones that give the music a certain sound. The consumer ones are designed to do that, to make the sound more 'excited'.

Whereas transparent studio phones , you only hear what is there.

I recently bought a pair of AKG k55 headphones, which are in between consumer and studio quality. It's interesting to compare them to other headphones I have. They colour the sound in a way which makes the music sound better in some ways, but if you want to hear it in a pure way, you have to use an audiophile orientated product.

It is also no matter what type of brand it is to check the specification of the headphones such as the output hertz or the watts it has for the quality of sound you're looking for.

I seldom do. I only brought it up because of its so-called silky sound quality. Bose AND Jurassic Park together can only be overkill.

Do you think so? Then you really are a Bose man, Steef! You see, Bose makes every recording sound pleasantly "silky". Their formula is to emphasize the highs, boost the bass and retract the mids. If you should buy Bose, you'll hear how every Williams CD suddenly approximates that "flawless sound quality".

For Jurassic Park, I suspect they used an Aphex Aural Exciter or some equivalent to achieve this particular sound. The thing is, with really good orchestral recordings, you don't hear or notice any "tuning" or enhancements. Perhaps it's precisely the unnaturalness that appeals to you.

Alex

JP has a wonderful woodwind sound.

It is also no matter what type of brand it is to check the specification of the headphones such as the output hertz or the watts it has for the quality of sound you're looking for.

Whaa?

• 1 year later...

Wow! This is incredible.

I have always just been content with the basic earphones that you can pick up at Dollar Tree or Walmart (as I mentioned a couple posts back).

But I recently decided to just go ahead and give a pair of good in-ear buds a try to see what all the fuss is about. So, I picked up a pair of Skullcandy "ink'd" buds.

Wow.

Just, wow.

Who would have guessed there could be so much difference in the sound quality? ;)

And these are still just relatively cheap ones ($17).

I really liked a certain kind of KOSS earbuds that had tremendous bass response. Then I got an earache and bought a new pair of Panasonic RP-HS43 over the ear style earphones. They do what they have to.

I've got a pair of these earbuds that Erik Woods recommended me and they're great! Seriously the best pair of earbuds I've owned.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...0&Go=submit

I've tried virtually every pair of earbuds and these have been the best ones.

For regular headphones I have a pair Sony MDR-V600's which are great.

I've got a pair of these earbuds that Erik Woods recommended me and they're great! Seriously the best pair of earbuds I've owned.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...0&Go=submit

I've tried virtually every pair of earbuds and these have been the best ones.

For regular headphones I have a pair Sony MDR-V600's which are great.

Might have to try those next then. They're not a whole lot more money than the ones I just got.

I have to say I have much love for the Grados and the SR60's are defiantly the best bang for buck in the lineup...

That being said I was pleasantly surprised by a pair of Panasonic headphones that I bought in the sub $40 range. the Panasonic RP-HTX7 blew me away at the price... May not be Grado's but for the price I wouldn't trade these ones.

JMoss

I have a pair of those for my iPod as well. Very nice, although they don't cancel out a whole lot of background noise, meaning I'd often have to turn the volume up much more than I would in a quiet environment.

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 555 headphones for listening at home. Very happy with those as well.

Might have to try those next then. They're not a whole lot more money than the ones I just got.

Ya the price is pretty good on them and they're definitely the best earbuds I've owned. Everything comes in crystal clear.

Know what small, but essential thing really bugs me about a lot of earphones/earbuds? When they fail to label left and right, and the two are identically shaped.

How much more thought would it have taken for them to add little "L" and "R" labels? It saves so much hassle when they do.

Know what small, but essential thing really bugs me about a lot of earphones/earbuds? When they fail to label left and right, and the two are identically shaped.

How much more thought would it have taken for them to add little "L" and "R" labels? It saves so much hassle when they do.

I hate that too. The ones I posted don't label them but the short one is the left one. Im wrong they do label.

Lately for casual listening I've been using the Skullcandy Titan earphones. I have a nice pair of Shure's, but they are all about maintenance and I spend more time replacing the poorly designed wax guard then enjoying music with them, it seems. The Skullcandy 'buds got a nice review in a publication I trust and I had a Target gift card, so I went with them. I think they're good.

Neil

The Shure's are very nice, I'm just not happy with the maintenance needed on them. I think this design may have been changed, but don't quote me on that.

Neil

The Shure's are very nice, I'm just not happy with the maintenance needed on them. I think this design may have been changed, but don't quote me on that.

Neil

Ah, that sucks about the maintence.

there is one thing about the Shures tho (at least the SE210 I have), its the wrap around the ear design. Now, the bitter Indiana cold probably had a part to play in this, but the cable insulation where the wire goes around the ear has started to crack exposing the copper wire. This pair I own is just over a year old now, and luckily they are still under warranty. That aside, I love the sound.

• 1 month later...
Lately for casual listening I've been using the Skullcandy Titan earphones. I have a nice pair of Shure's, but they are all about maintenance and I spend more time replacing the poorly designed wax guard then enjoying music with them, it seems. The Skullcandy 'buds got a nice review in a publication I trust and I had a Target gift card, so I went with them. I think they're good.

Neil

I'm having to return my Shures to get that cable fixed and I'm looking for a half decent replacement pair of earbuds. Could you please elaborate more on what you think about em Skullcandys? And do you know anything about other options in the price range? Thanks.

EDIT: Does anyone know anything about the Sennheiser CX300?

Neil

If you had the waxguards I assume you had the Shure E2C model (or equivalent). How do those Skullcandy compare in sound quality?

BTW my Shures broke twice (unexplained short circuit in the cord...no apparent damage and I was really careful with them) .I got free replacements each time though. I guess they last about 1 year with the best care possible

yeah but once you try those more expensive ones such as Shures then you realize how muffled the Sony's are

Oh yeah, they're still no match for my Sennhisers. But if I take my Walkman to listen at work or something I'm not taking my good headphones, the earbuds are fine.

I thought they added bass and highs at the expense of the mid range ,making them more tuned for pop music . They have an initial "wow" factor but after a while you notice stuff missing from the music . The E2 is more neutral and less spectacular at first but after while I couldn't return to anything else.

I usually know after a few days .I'll listen to something I know well and think "hmm,here there should be chimes or I should hear the guy breathing into the instrument."

Neil

I'm having to return my Shures to get that cable fixed and I'm looking for a half decent replacement pair of earbuds. Could you please elaborate more on what you think about em Skullcandys? And do you know anything about other options in the price range? Thanks.

They suit my needs. They sound nice and I can comfortably wear them on long flights.

Neil

Grado's suck for score's but they're great for rock/metal. They're way too metallic and close.

The best cans for orchestral music are the AKG K701....with a decent amp and 200 hours of burn in. They're also $249 + at least a $200 amp. = $400. They don't colorize the sound AT ALL. You hear what the recording engineer wants you to hear. The soundstage is also very wide, something that really helps with orchestral works. There's also the Sennheiser HD650, they too are great, but there's a lot more colorization. These are really relaxed headphones. Both in comfort and the sound they pump out. You could listen to days without tiring of music.

Next price level below the AKG's/HD650 I would put the Sennheiser HD595's. They're also very easy to drive out of a source like a laptop, without an amp, though as always the dynamics will become way more rich and detailed with a small amp/portable amp.

You're not gonna be getting any real quality/sound detail out of the lower mid-range to higher end headphones (read $150+) without some sort of amplifier.

For earbuds, ditch Skullcandy, they are very inaccurate reproducers of sound. Try instead the Yuin PK series or Yuin OK series. They can be purchased from Head-Direct.com (Don't be afraid of the small size, the guy behind it does GREAT customer service, and ships internationally)

For in ear monitors...I don't know, I don't like sticking things inside my ear canal.

And as always, stay away from Bose. Overpriced and overcolored.