The Adventures of Tintin SEQUEL Anticipation thread

Muad'Dib

Some news regarding the sequel:

The first Tintin has been very successful around the world. Mr. Jackson is very caught up in The Hobbit for a while. Assuming that it’s a success in America, when do you envision a sequel being able to move forward? Is it being moved forward right now?

Kennedy: Oh yeah it is being moved forward, in fact Steven and I were talking about it this morning. We’re working on a script right now, we’ll see a script probably February or March. If we can do some camera capture this summer, which I think we could do, then we would be on track to have the movie either Christmas 2014 or summer 2015, and so that’s what we’re looking at right now.

http://collider.com/kathleen-kennedy-jurassic-park-4-tintin-sequel-jurassic-park-3d/130315/

It seems Jackson will do the motion-capture stuff between Hobbits... Let's hope Williams ends up scoring it.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems they are eyeing The Calculus Affair for the sequel...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/producer-kathleen-kennedy-says-the-calculus-affair-eyed-for-tintin-sequel-prisoners-of-the-sun-wont-be-used-for-third-movie

But it seems they won't be using The Seven Crystal Balls/Prisoners of the Sun at all, which is a shame. But we'll have to wait and see what happens...

I think so. It's of the ones I haven't read but it's said to be very good.

I remember when asked about the second film Jackson said he loved the Inca story and stuff like Ottokar Sceptre/Calculus Affair.

Yeah. That's why I thought Prisoners of the Sun would be the third film when they started to say the second might not be Sun after all. Now I'm puzzled.

Maybe, MAYBE, they're thinking on having Calculus Affair as the second film and then segue into the Moon adventure. I mean same setting, Calculus' inventions, etc

What I think it's happening is that Horowitz first wrote a script based on Sun and then they made him write a script based on something else. I remember they also wanted Moffat to write two films one after another but he had to work on Doctor Who.

Prisoner of the Sun is not one of the best albums. Plus, several elements of it have been re-used many times on other films (the whole eclipse thing). Calculus Affair is a much better book

I think if they adapted Prisoners they should change the ending. If Hergé had been told that the Incas knew what an eclipse is then he would have written a different ending, plus he admitted later he wasn't a fan of it. More than that, Calculus is written in that moment in a quite idiotic way.

I love the whole story except that. My favourite part is the mummy scene and the train sequence.

If they have to mix books, perhaps The Calculus affair with King Ottokar's spectre (Bloodball will kill me for this). The could go well together and are two great books

Prisoner of the Sun is not one of the best albums. Plus, several elements of it have been re-used many times on other films (the whole eclipse thing). Calculus Affair is a much better book

My opinion couldn't be more different. I love the atmosphere on Prisoners, and its set up in Seven Crystal Balls couldn't be more cinematic. The Calculus Affair feels more like one of those cat-and-mouse thrillers of which there are plenty in Tintin lore - I always viewed it as Herge making a little story for the main characters to shine after a bunch of big-scoped books.

What is it that you like about Calculus?

How likely do you think it is that Williams would return to score the Tintin sequel? I loved his music for the first, and I'd love to see him come back for another.

Like I said, I hope he does. Since Spielberg wouldn't be directing the sequel, I got nervous that Williams might not return. He seems to really be doing only Spielberg movies nowadays...

I would rather he explore new films than stick with Tintin, but because our options will probably be between Tintin 2 and nothing else, I'll happily take Tintin 2.

As Peter Jackson is directing it is highly unlikely Williams would be scoring. Peter Jackson doesn't make movies like Spielberg. It's more likely James Newton Howard (not Howard Shore though) would jump on board. I would bet money on it.

As Peter Jackson is directing it is highly unlikely Williams would be scoring. Peter Jackson doesn't make movies like Spielberg. It's more likely James Newton Howard (not Howard Shore though) would jump on board. I would bet money on it.

That doesn't make sense. Williams could have scored every single Jackson film and his music would have fit the movies like a glove.

If Williams wants to continue working on the series, Jackson will surely collaborate with him.

I'm quite certain Williams will score the sequel. I mean its the same team, and just because Peter Jackson is directing, it doesn't change the fact that Spielberg will be EXTREMELY involved in the process. So just like Jackson got Andy Serkis (to our delight) in for the first film, Spielberg will probably go out of his way to make sure Williams is involved (and when Spielberg asks, Williams rarely refuses).

So yes, we probably will see the maestro return for an awesome sequel! Can't wait!

- KK

Well we'll see, but I don't think Jackson cares for the John Williams kind of score. It would be funny because although JW has worked with other directors, the music in Tintin is similar to Indiana Jones and Harry Potter. I don't see how Jackson could make the film his own with all the omage referances Williams adds - (well, he's probably ad lib -ing abit with Spielberg). That is assuming he wants to make the film his own. Maybe he just wants to add to Spielberg?? We'll wait and see..

That doesn't make sense. Williams could have scored every single Jackson film and his music would have fit the movies like a glove.

If Williams wants to continue working on the series, Jackson will surely collaborate with him.

His music wouldn't have worked well for LOTR. It is to direct - Shore's score worked well because it doesn't over-deliver. Shore is closer to Goldsmith than Williams in this respect.

Yeah, I think it's funny how everytime somebody comments on the limitations of WIlliams' style, the common consensus here seems to be "Nonsense, he can score anything!". Of course Williams can adapt masterfully, but that doesn't make him the ideal composer for every single movie out there.

I just dont see Jackson passing on the opportunity to work with Williams, because he is not his regular composer.

If Williams is interested in scoring it Jackson will probably say 'HELL YEAH!' and be honored.

I just dont see Jackson passing on the opportunity to work with Williams, because he is not his regular composer.

If Williams is interested in scoring it Jackson will probably say 'HELL YEAH!' and be honored.

Definitely.

I always go back to JW though because even if they are to bombastic for the film they are usually a good listen on an intellectual level eg. Pursuit of Falcon in Tintin just the other day I noticed how the motif is given to the brass transposed. I don't know how many modulations there are but it's probably in the hundreds!

Sorry to say but although the general public may know Williams from Jaws, Star Wars etc. they also know that isn't the sort of music appropriate for say LOTR. Howard Shore couldn't have done a better job. So yes, Williams is not overrated but he is by no means the only choice for a director. I wonder how a Desplat Tintin score would sound like??

Sorry to say but although the general public may know Williams from Jaws, Star Wars etc. they also know that isn't the sort of music appropriate for say LOTR. Howard Shore couldn't have done a better job. So yes, Williams is not overrated but he is by no means the only choice for a director. I wonder how a Desplat Tintin score would sound like??

John Williams could have scored LOTR.

Technically ANYONE can score LOTR. But not everybody can score LOTR well.

And nobody could have scored LOTR as well and masterfully as Shore did.

- KK

P.S. Personally, I don't think Williams style would suit LOTR, but I definitely believe Williams shall score Tintin's sequel with PJ with amazingly effective results!