Sony is re-issuing the Home Alone OST on October 23rd

Jay

81XWJyCSd9L._SL1500_.jpg

It s been twenty-five years since Macaulay Culkin was left Home Alone at Christmas. In celebration of the movie s anniversary, Sony Classical is pleased to release the 25th Anniversary Edition of the Home Alone Soundtrack with music by five-time Oscar-winning composer, John Williams. The score was nominated for an Academy Award® and the main title song, Somewhere in my Memory, was nominated for an Academy Award® and a Grammy®. Featuring original Williams music, the album also features classic Christmas songs including Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas with Mel Tormé and White Christmas with The Drifters.

In a career spanning almost six decades, John Williams has composed some of the most recognizable film scores in the history of motion pictures including Star Wars, Jaws, the Indiana Jones films, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Schindler s List and the first three Harry Potter films. Winner of twenty-one Grammy Awards®, four Golden Globe® Awards and five Academy Awards®, Williams is easily the most recognized composer working in film today. Through his career, Williams has worked closely with Steven Spielberg, composing music for all but two of his feature films, and most recently on the Academy Award®-nominated scores for The Adventures of Tintin, Warhorse and Lincoln.

1. Main Title from Home Alone ("Somewhere in My Memory") (Voice)

2. Holiday Flight (Instrumental)

3. The House (Instrumental)

4. Star of Bethlehem (Instrumental)

5. Man of the House (Instrumental)

6. White Christmas (Voice)

7. Scammed By a Kindergartner (Instrumental)

8. Please Come Home for Christmas (Instrumental)

9. Follow That Kid! (Instrumental)

10. Making the Plane (Instrumental)

11. O Holy Night (Voice)

12. Carol of the Bells (Voice)

13. Star of Bethlehem (Voice)

14. Setting the Trap (Instrumental)

15. Walking Home ((Chorus & Orchestra Version))

16. The Attack On the House (Instrumental)

17. The Next Morning / Mom Returns and Finale (Instrumental)

18. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Voice)

19. We Wish You a Merry Christmas / End Title (Voice)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014T15OME/jwfancom-20

Indeed. But I'm always surprised when I see certain Williams titles being labelled as 'rare' these days, but then I haven't kept up with the secondary market in at least 10 years.

I see. So it was not a question of ressurecting an album that was getting hard to come by, but rather to cash in on the 25th anniversary (has it been 25 friggin' years already? Sheesh!). Don't get me wrong -- I'm glad they just reissued it and didn't expand it, but have they done anything else, I wonder (extensive liner notes, improved sound etc.?)?

I have to imagine the sound will be improved. CD mastering technology has come a long way in the last 25 years!

Exact, in fact all CDs issued in the 80's and 90's should be reissued using the masters.

But I will never buy these CDs at piece, I'll wait instead for a boxset.

I have to imagine the sound will be improved. CD mastering technology has come a long way in the last 25 years!

Exact, in fact all CDs issued in the 80's and 90's should be reissued using the masters.

A box is a good idea. Some nice music in Nick Glennie-Smith's HOME ALONE 3 too, as well as Ted Castelluci's HOME ALONE 4. Haven't heard David Kitay's HOME ALONE 5 yet.

A box is a good idea. Some nice music in Nick Glennie-Smith's HOME ALONE 3 too, as well as Ted Castelluci's HOME ALONE 4. Haven't heard David Kitay's HOME ALONE 5 yet.

I was thinking more about a complete boxset or an Anthology of John Williams recordings.

I see. So it was not a question of ressurecting an album that was getting hard to come by, but rather to cash in on the 25th anniversary (has it been 25 friggin' years already? Sheesh!). Don't get me wrong -- I'm glad they just reissued it and didn't expand it, but have they done anything else, I wonder (extensive liner notes, improved sound etc.?)?

Exclusive new track titles.

What music remains unreleased? The film version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," the Southside Johnny Lyon piece, the instrumental to "Somewhere in My Memory" and the polka band source music?

I don't think Williams had anything to do with that polka music, but I could be wrong.

It is odd the LLL didn't include the film version of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, yea.

I don't think Williams had anything to do with that polka music, but I could be wrong.

From what I've read, the polka band in the van was real (aside from John Candy, of course) and it was called "Eddie Korosa and the Boys." I imagine they played their own music and Williams wasn't involved.

It is odd the LLL didn't include the film version of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, yea.

Maybe it's a rights issue?

Probably there just wasn't room / it was too expensive. I dunno.

Speaking of this re-issue, MV just posted this, in the FSM thread for it:

lol

You guys might wanna wait

MV

I guess that means LLL will re-issue their expanded CD?

My God there's a fifth one? Some things just be left well enough alone.

I knew they'd made a 4th one (remember seeing French Stewart, of 3rd Rock, in the credits), but not a 5th. And so recently too. Not familiar with David Kitay either.

#3 isn't too bad (for a second sequel, with no big names, it could be a lot worse), although the slapstick nature of the baddies' misfortune is getting truly ridiculous by this point. Also, the kid is quite annoying.

I have no desire to watch it again though, and I am certainly not watching the latter two.

A bit of a waste of a re-issue, especially if you have the complete La-La Land. Of course typical "not interested" post by Thor for the expanded version, just like a broken record... :rolleyes:

I knew they'd made a 4th one (remember seeing French Stewart, of 3rd Rock, in the credits), but not a 5th. And so recently too. Not familiar with David Kitay either.

#3 isn't too bad (for a second sequel, with no big names, it could be a lot worse), although the slapstick nature of the baddies' misfortune is getting truly ridiculous by this point. Also, the kid is quite annoying.

I have no desire to watch it again though, and I am certainly not watching the latter two.

3 is a guilty pleasure for me purely because of Olek Krupa. Also John Hughes wrote it, so it has some credibility with the humor, despite having an awful kid to play the part.

The problem with remasters today is that usually more damage is done than actual improvement, thanks mainly to peak limiting and crazy loudness.

True. This is why I track down CDs from the 80s/early 90s because they're likely to sound better.

Ha! I wasn't even aware LLL had released an expansion of this.

Yes you were.

Jay, really? Did you remember what Thor said from memory and decided to find the post he made? Or did you read his post in this thread and decide to do a background check to expose his inconsistency?

If it's the latter, that's friggen frightening. Maybe you missed your calling as a cop or a lawyer.

Looks like LLL is definitely re-issuing their expansion this year as well

Trust me -- you guys will want something else later this year...something composer approved, completely remastered by a JW expert with bonus tracks, incredible notes and packaging
Just sayin'
MV

Trust me -- you guys will want something else later this year...something composer approved, completely remastered by a JW expert with bonus tracks, incredible notes and packaging

Just sayin'

MV

That's great for those who missed out before.

I might actually get this if the sound is improved, although I already own the OS and the LLL edition.

One of my all-time favorite scores, I never tire listening to it.

I'd get it if it had more material, specifically the Mel Torme song.

I feel like we have all the required music from both Home Alones for years now. The Mel Torme instrumental would be nice, I guess, but it's not really a part of the score, but I would never listen to it alongside the score.

Just sayin'
MV

Very interesting....even though I HATE double dipping...but if the sound is definitely better I will make this exception.

I guess you could say I double dipped with the Danny Elfman Batman collection since I originally had the first Batman release but it was a no brainer for me on that.

Sounds like this might be a Black Friday title. I might pony up for it.

I feel like we have all the required music from both Home Alones for years now. The Mel Torme instrumental would be nice, I guess, but it's not really a part of the score, but I would never listen to it alongside the score.

I agree as far as the score. We have all of the Williams stuff, I think, including the source music that I didn't even notice in the film.

I prefer the film version of the song to the original, longer version. Did Williams write the music?

Just sayin'
MV

Very interesting....even though I HATE double dipping...but if the sound is definitely better I will make this exception.

I guess you could say I double dipped with the Danny Elfman Batman collection since I originally had the first Batman release but it was a no brainer for me on that.

Sounds like this might be a Black Friday title. I might pony up for it.

Are we assuming they have remastered the already remastered sound of the LLL Home Alone release? Hmmm. Rather pointless.

I might actually get this if the sound is improved, ...

You mean if some bloke mangles with it, puts it through an EQ and a compressor? No thanks!

Loudness baby! It should be remixed so it will sound best through my phone speakers!

Good news for those people who've missed the previous release, but it seems like it's going to be another double dip with a recently expanded Williams score. Hopefully it doesn't need re-editing this time.

Good news for those people who've missed the previous release, but it seems like it's going to be another double dip with a recently expanded Williams score. Hopefully it doesn't need re-editing this time.

Since JW is apparently involved, I guess this means mainly a slightly different presentation in terms of track order (and maybe retaining some of the edited cues as presented on the OST as bonus tracks) and a new mastering as well, even though the previous LLL edition already sounded very good.

Great to see LLL is continuing a fruitful collaboration with JW for their releases, btw. It bodes very well for things to come!

A new version would have to spill over onto 2 discs if it is to contain anything else; The 2010 LLL edition was pretty packed!