What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I've watched the original Avatar series front to back 3 times since ended in 2008. I love it. I'm not sure what advice I can give people who aren't attracted to the animation style. I think it's incredible animation in the style of anime, where they sacrifice a little for a big punch, in that japanese style of not quite animating each frame perfectly, it's not completely fluid. But the scope of it is massive. If you like movies like Akira or Grave of the Fireflies, then I imagine you can watch this show without issue.

Shame the movie sucked, though I was fortunate enough to get some on-set experience by being an extra in it (it filmed the last scenes at the Philadelphia Naval Yard, I'm from the area). So it was neat watching M. Night at work first-hand.

Legend of Korra is good so far, although I'm interested to see how they handle saying essentially stationary for most of the first season as it seems to mostly take part in one city. The original series jumped around a lot so we go to experience a ton of different locations and cultures.

Tim

Yes, it's those chasm-like missing frames which jar me. I find it very crude and distracting. Something like Spirited Away gets away with it, but then that didn't have the tv limitations placed on it that Avatar did.

Regardless, I'm going to give it another go.

So yesterday I started watching Boardwalk Empire (HBO) and while not bad (pilot is directed by Martin Scorsese) it strikes me as a very traditional, old-fashioned TV series. Knowing HBO and all, I was expecting something more offbeat. Hmm.

Alex

There were two I got in to but couldn't keep up with when my life came crashing down mid winter. Ringer and Grimm.

You're on a forum talking about film music. You're obviously not OK.

If she can post coherent sentences on a forum about film music she's definitely not okay.

Bahaha

No really I'm ok. This is what I do for a living; make complete scentences about music (film) because I teach children this stuff

So you're a teacher who teaches children about stuff? Word...

I'm a teacher who strives to educate our youth about film music.

So you're a teacher who teaches children about stuff? Word...

I'm a teacher who strives to educate our youth about film music.

Huh. Is that part of the formal curriculum or something?

Yes it's part of our formal curriculum and I can get 23 boys all eating out of the palm of my hand when I discuss Herrmann with them

Yes it's part of our formal curriculum and I can get 23 boys all eating out of the palm of my hand when I discuss Herrmann with them

Huh. Interesting. I bet when you discuss Goldsmith with them you get to put collars and leashes on them and make them grovel at your feet.

Especially with the blaster beam.

Ahh, that's so Pavlovian. Like they are trained to kneel and pant whenever they hear the blaster beam. Smart.

So yesterday I started watching Boardwalk Empire (HBO) and while not bad (pilot is directed by Martin Scorsese) it strikes me as a very traditional, old-fashioned TV series. Knowing HBO and all, I was expecting something more offbeat. Hmm.

Alex

The rest of the show is much, much better than the pilot, especially Season 2. In fact, I watch the pilot and while I liked it, a year passed until I finished the rest of the season. Then I went right into Season 2, which was just phenomenal week after week. Can't wait for season 3 - A LOT of shit will be changed from season 2! Every season the show re-defines itself a bit. It's really good.

I agree. I thought episode 2 was already much better than the first one (time to retire, Marty!). I like the show! Tonight I'll be watching eppy 5. The "offbeat" aspect lies in the corruptness of the main character (like The Sopranos), of course. Silly me!

I agree. I thought episode 2 was already much better than the first one (time to retire, Marty!). I like the show! Tonight I'll be watching eppy 5. The "offbeat" aspect lies in the corruptness of the main character (like The Sopranos), of course. Silly me!

Time to retire? Did you see Hugo? The direction was incredible!

No, I didn't go and see it. It's a movie for kids. Imagine me sitting in a room full of kids!

Alex,

Hugo is anything but a kids movie, it's a film lovers movie.

The movie may appear to be a kids movie, but it is so much more.

It's a journey that any real lover of the movies should watch.

Alex, just watch the movie and discover it for yourself. If you end up not liking it well then you've lost a couple of hours nothing more.

No, I didn't go and see it. It's a movie for kids. Imagine me sitting in a room full of kids!

You are literally just 100% wrong here. It's not a movie for kids at all. How in the world did you get that completely inaccurate idea?

Hugo is anything but a kids movie, it's a film lovers movie.

The movie may appear to be a kids movie, but it is so much more.

It's a journey that any real lover of the movies should watch.

This.

That's true, a lot of people assume if a movie has a child as a lead character, then it's a kids movie. To be fair, most of the time that is true. It's just not the case with Hugo. Children would be bored to hell watching this movie.

Hugo is a painting in progress that only when completed do you see the entire picture and it is grand.

Yea. it takes a long time to get where its going.

it is and that is why you're 100% correct it would bore children.

I was the first thing I read about Hugo on the internet. It said ... Scorsese's first movie for kids is fantastic ... or something like that. Lots of parents went to see it with their children.

I was the first thing I read about Hugo it on the internet. It said ... Scorsese's first movie for kids is fantastic ... or something like that. Lots of parents went to see it with their children.

Well either the internet is right and Joey and I are lying to you, or the internet is wrong. You decide.