GNP Crescendo announces Star Trek First Contact Complete.

Ollie

I just never knew how much he'd done and it would seem to be quite a bit. I mean, I always considered Search for the Borg a highlight of Goldsmith's career. Turns out it was the wrong Goldsmith.

Hardly anything in FIRST CONTACT is indicative of Goldsmith's career highlights. Jerry, that is.

Good Goldsmith means at least uber-competent craftmanship, but the later STAR TREKS tend to be a bit workmanlike. Ironically, the much-maligned NEMESIS is the most impessive from pure compositional standpoint (though its slight thematic content make it a bit hard to love).

I'm a big fan of the triumphant presentation of the Enterprise theme in "Flight of the Phoenix." That's a highlight of the score, regardless of who wrote it.

I didn't see the last page where the covers and such were posted. Good god they do look ugly, especially the way how the image on the disc was done. I could have done a better job than whoever did this artwork.

Either way I was told yesterday from GNP that mine went out probably with anyone else who ordered it. I chose the $5 shipping option but hopefully I'll have it by this weekend or first of next week.

That is EXACTLY the kind of cover I wanted to make, with the FSM Star Trek II & III curved square outline around the perimeter. Bravo! That's the one I'm gonna use!

shouldn't the cover say music mostly composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith?

or perhaps only the good music composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith?

The First Contact main theme is one of my most favorite themes of ALL TIME. All this Joel Goldsmith info is news to me. I feel like I've been sucked into some Goldsmith trickery.

It just shows my ignorance with Star Trek. I've only seen the film once and haven't looked at my CD in too long. But of course, you're right...the info is all there. I've been under a rock apparently.

Good Goldsmith means at least uber-competent craftmanship, but the later STAR TREKS tend to be a bit workmanlike. Ironically, the much-maligned NEMESIS is the most impessive from pure compositional standpoint (though its slight thematic content make it a bit hard to love).

Nemesis has a brilliant theme, but I've never been able to get into the rest of the score. I like First Contact quite a bit, but of the last three Treks, Insurrection is my favourite. Primarily workmanship, no doubt, but on the highest level. I love the pounding action music and the use of echoplex effects.

Come to think of it, FC might have been my first Goldsmith album.

It was also my first Goldsmith album. I copied somebody's cassette back in high school, and then I went out and bought the CD. Star Trek V (and VI) were bought next, giving me my second JG. If you can't guess what my third JG was, you haven't been paying attention.

JanBing's cover is also awesome.

Now THAT is awesome, JanBing.

Definitely, my favourite so far. If I bought this, I'd use that cover, no question.

I generally prefer covers that try to stand out a bit more, along with the film title. Some covers tuck the credit away in the corner or at the bottom - they don't work for me as well.

If I bought this, I'd use that cover, no question.

I'm planning to get this in a couple weeks and I'll definitely be using JanBing's cover, if only for my mp3 player.

Indeed. Well balanced in all respects. :)

Indeed. Well balanced in all respects. :)

GNP needs to hire JanBing and get rid of the monkeys they have in the art department.

really I seem to recall that I bought it the tuesday before....

I prefer the music to Insurrection but I like FC well enough.

I had the CD a while before the movie came out.

In my pre internet day i found out Jerry had scored this when i saw a clip of the film on Barry Norman's FILM 96.

It had part of Temporal Wake, and my heart skipped a beat when I heard The Klingon theme.

Vosk is correct in that it did take a bit for the new Enterprise E to have a model.

I got my copy for First Contact today in the mail. :) The cover actually looks better in person than what was posted on GNP's site. However, the rest of the artwork is meh.

I mean the sound quality/presentation, silly. :)

Karol

Oh gotcha. The sound quality is great. Mike Matessino and Bruce Botnick did an awesome job on the remastering.

It's the only ST score (not counting McCarthy's) that I haven't got in my collection. I was about to buy the OST last week, but some impulse inside stopped me from doing so.

I know the main theme from this score and I love it. It's an almost natural B theme to his Enterprise theme.

Karol

Nice Trent.

I have to say, I like your "less is more" approach, without having too much in the way of additional elements to potentially clutter up the key content (poster art, logo, composer credit and "original soundtrack" blurb).

Have you considered doing this for all of the Star Trek scores?

I mean the sound quality/presentation, silly. :)

Karol

Oh gotcha. The sound quality is great. Mike Matessino and Bruce Botnick did an awesome job on the remastering.

Ahhh!!!! I want it noooowww!! Hopefully it's sitting in my mailbox as I type..

As of yesterday at 3:00pm, they have shipped up to 180-ish.

I'm order 588 !!!! :(

I understand they are working as fast as they can, but I want it NOW !!!! (Why am I thinking of Veruca Salt in Willy Wonka right now?)

Ha! I'm 556.

I'm not bothered to be honest. Bought so many albums and had so little time to actually digest them all that I can wait a week or two for this to arrive. Having said that, Hook is still not here.

Karol

I'm listening to it now - I'm up to track 10 only so far, but the sound quality is amazing! You can hear room noises and everything just sounds super crisp and clear. Seems like a perfect release!