GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

22 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

How well you know me... That's terrifying, actually. Maybe you're a BloodBoal fanboy?

Jesters are the same on every board, BloodBoal.

Bloodboal posts on every board, Alex. He has many names, speaks all tongues and his interests are vast.

Some say he is A.I. 

Born from the darkest reaches of the World Wide Web. Sentient due to an error it it's algorithm.

12 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Not a great season, but it had its highlights. 

I... I think I'm getting GoT fatigue! 

I always bought the BR after each season but I never bothered preordering Season 6 and have no real desire to rewatch it any time soon. I read the leaked plot for season 7 and it's kinda... what people expected. It's starting to feel a bit drawn out and having to wait longer to see less isn't helping. 

Il'l probably feel differently next July but at the moment I'm at my lowest point of interest for the show. 

I realised Game of Thrones didn't hold up to multiple viewings shortly after I purchased the first season blu-ray boxset and struggled to watch more than a handful of episodes it again. I sold it on eBay not long after. 

I can't imagine watching it again after the show is done

This is actually a feature of serialized TV over episodic. I wouldn't soon sit down and watch a few random episodes of Breaking Bad upon an evening, like i would of say TNG or Friends.

I buy the Blu-rays but to to be honest I'm not sure either if I'll ever watch them more than once.

Episode 3 was better again. Why does the quality in GOT always fluctuate? The rebirth of Jon Snow was handled in a credible manner and we were once again treated to a nice scene with High Sparrow.

High-Sparrow-Tommen-Game-of-Thrones-Seas

Alex

21 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I buy the Blu-rays but to to be honest I'm not sure either if I'll ever watch them more than once.

Episode 3 was better again. Why does the quality in GOT always fluctuate? The rebirth of Jon Snow was handled in a credible manner and we were once again treated to a nice scene with High Sparrow.

High-Sparrow-Tommen-Game-of-Thrones-Seas

Alex

"Better" or "worse" or "quality" are subjective terms. (unless you're talking about production values, which don't change from episode to episode, since they are all produced simultaneously). Episode 2 is generally better rated than episode 3.

21 minutes ago, oierem said:

"Better" or "worse" or "quality" are subjective terms.

Alex is giving his opinion, which is by definition subjective. That doesnt mean it has no validity though.

22 minutes ago, oierem said:

Episode 2 is generally better rated than episode 3.

But something being rated better or worse is also purely subjective.

"Better" or "worse" or "quality" are subjective terms. (unless you're talking about production values, which don't change from episode to episode, since they are all produced simultaneously). Episode 2 is generally better rated than episode 3.

By whom? By the same critics who hold Prometheus in high regard? Quality, skill and talent aren't entirely subjective otherwise each and everyone of us is as good as John Williams, Vivian Maier or Rembrandt van Rijn. It's a phrase mainly used by people who want to validate their own taste ... IMO, of course. ;)

25 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

By whom? By the same critics who hold Prometheus in high regard? Quality, skill and talent aren't entirely subjective otherwise each and everyone of us is as good as John Williams, Vivian Maier or Rembrandt van Rijn. It's a phrase mainly used by people who want to validate their own taste ... IMO, of course. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/eprate?ref_=ttep_sa_2

6.2. has a rating of 9.5

6.3. has a rating of 8.7

I was just responding to a post who said that 6.3. was "better" and asked why the quality of the episodes fluctuates.

(Personally, I prefer 6.3. as well, but I wouldn't say it's objectively "better".)

Quality is not the same as skill and talent, and neither of them is entirely objective or subjective.

For example, everyone on this forums (probably) agrees that John Williams is highly talented and skilled. However, not everyone agrees on what his best scores are.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Alex is giving his opinion, which is by definition subjective. That doesnt mean it has no validity though.

I don't really see the point of strictly ranking individual episodes of a series with an ongoing story arc though. Yes, some episodes may be standouts, and perhaps some are less engaging (or even worse) than they could be. But you can't expect every episode to be the highlight of the whole series. There will be mood shifts and necessary downtime for exposition, just like in a film. For most 2+ hour films, I won't find every 10 minutes just as good and exciting as all others, but I wouldn't say that a film was great but uneven because 10 minutes in the first third and 10 minutes before the finale were, in whatever way, not as exciting/emotional/thrilling/whatever as the rest of the film.

20 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But you can't expect every episode to be the highlight of the whole series. 

I always felt that GOT is very uneven compared to my favorite shows. I count more dips than with some other series. But when it's good, it's really good. Maybe half of GOT is 'meh' while every episode of, for instance, Deadwood is ace. So yes, I do expect that every episode is a highlight. I like GOT (it's the closest thing to my idea of Fantasy) but it's not in my top 5 of best TV series of all time.

I sort of understand what Marian is talking about, but Alex also has a strong point. A show with a continuous arc does have an eb and flow in it's story telling. But how many "meh" episodes are there of Breaking Bad? None as far as I'm concerned. Even the ones where nothing particulary dramatic is happening always seem to be doing something interesting. While setting the stage for things to come. There are plenty of episodes of GOT where they just seem to be playing for time.

I watched I, Claudius twice and each episode is a jewel. It's so good that you even start liking the fake decors.

Talking of decors, almost every location is incredible in GOT. 

Daario-and-Jorah-Official.jpg

Even the rocks (giant boulders) in this scene of Episode 4 are amazing (not the right moment here though). I keep thinking, where do they find these places?!

I couldn't disagree more on the rewatchability issue. I've found Game of Thrones to be uniquely suited to rewatching, for a few reasons. Despite the (increasingly glaring) deficiencies in certain aspects of the writing, there are other areas in which the show excels, and which are difficult or impossible to appreciate on a single viewing. I don't know of any other TV programme which has worked so diligently throughout its seasons to set the stage for things that won't come directly into play for another three, four or five years, to such a degree that the viewing experience of the early seasons is transformed in the light of the context provided by the later ones. Added to that, the rich tapestry of interconnections between the myriad of characters and storylines is something which one can't glean more than a small fraction of by watching it only once. For anyone whose fancy is tickled by large and intricate structures like this, Game of Thrones has virtues which don't seem to be on offer anywhere else. Of course, as with anything, you have to like it well enough to watch more than once, or all the large-scale planning in the world won't make it better.

31 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There are plenty of episodes of GOT where they just seem to be playing for time.

Not at all! Call them boring or ineffective, if you will, but I don't think that playing for time is something they can reasonably be accused of. They have the precise opposite problem: not enough time. This seems to be one of the major factors behind the increasingly shabby plotting.

I also enjoyed rewatching the first part of it a season or two ago, and I expect I'll enjoy rewatching the whole thing once it's complete. But then I'm generally one to repeatedly watch things I've enjoyed, which is becoming more and more of a problem in the era of TV series.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I always felt that GOT is very uneven compared to my favorite shows. I count more dips than with some other series. But when it's good, it's really good. Maybe half of GOT is 'meh' while every episode of, for instance, Deadwood is ace. So yes, I do expect that every episode is a highlight. I like GOT (it's the closest thing to my idea of Fantasy) but it's not in my top 5 of best TV series of all time.

Fair enough. It's always been balanced enough for my tastes, so I have no complaints there.

The funny thing is, to me, some of the highlight episodes of GOT are the ones with giant battles. I'm usually not a fan of giant battles, not in Star Wars, not in Marvel flicks, but somehow GOT is an exception. And Spielberg's SPR, of course!

I've rewatched every season before a new season starts but I can't see myself doing that ever again. There was a time when hype carried me through but now I feel different. 

I'll probably be ready for season 7 when it comes around but it's certainly the season I've anticipated least. 

On 20/11/2016 at 0:36 PM, BloodBoal said:

Remember the good ol' days, when movie discussion didn't turn into "Look, my favourite movie's got a bigger rating than yours! Hahaha! Mine's bigger than yours!"? Before the dark times... Before the Internet!

Alex was first blazing the aggregate trail here (he loves to be first). 

Damn, I knew Arya Stark was going to use her fight-in-the-dark skills against that girl! I was waiting for it!

this-bitch-hbo-6f43fabe-6458-4028-8ef0-9

What I didn't expect is that the whole chase scene was going to be like The Terminator.