Empire of the Sun coming to Blu-ray June 19th

TownerFan

Well the last time was right at the beginning of this altercation, when you appeared to dispute the details of the empirical evidence on the CE3K dvd. Hope that's helpful.

Oh god, make it stop...

So Spielberg never said he was young and naive when he made CE3K? Or that he would handle it differently today? Did I mention already that Spielberg doesn't even like the way he portrayed the mother in the film? Sure, I dramatized it a little but is that the reason for your fury and your never-ending attempts to belittle everything I say? Couldn't you just engaged in the conversation by talking about the movie, which Nick66 and I were doing in a civilized manner right before you showed up again? Remember, the only thing you wanted to make clear is that I had nothing new to say. And now it's changed into my opinion = fact?! I think the problem you have with me is much bigger than I initially thought it was.

I'm trying to help to solve the problem. It won't go away if we ignore it. I already suggested an ignore button. Do we have such an option here, Jason?

I'm trying to help to solve the problem. It won't go away if we ignore it. I already suggested an ignore button. Do we have such an option here, Jason?

I see the problem Alex and I understand.

Lee has a habbit of dogging me too.

Our forum does have an ignore feature. From the Desktop site, click on your name in the upper right corner and click "Manage Ignore Prefs"

I see the problem Alex and I understand.

Lee has a habbit of dogging me too.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogging_(sexual_slang)

The irony of which is that yes, I do indeed tend to take issue with your many sexual insults and inappropriate remarks about the people close to me, so it's only natural that you should "understand" Alex's plight. Couldn't think of a more perfect pairing, if I'm honest.

I barely use that app now anyway since becoming a whizz on the mobile site, but it does work better for when my signal might be horrendous since it seems to cache everything up front.

It's just adequate. But habit has taught me how to maximise its use. And besides: closing my browser to open an app is such an epic faff, for my thumb.

Here ya go Gordonites: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/flash-gordon-30th-anniversary-steel-tin-special-edition-with-bonus-queen-soundtrack-1444833

Absolute bargain!

Empire of the Sun is a superior looking film to Jaws, but then again their styles couldn't be more different and I've always preferred 'domestic' Spielberg in that regard anyway. Jaws is a very earthy looking film, modestly shot.

I need to get Empire of the Sun on Blu next and show it to my girlfriend (who hasn't seen it). Is the print done properly?

I have both on blu, and I believe Jaws is superior looking. It's one of the most beautifully restored blus out there. Empire is well represented as well, as I said earlier in another post all the 2012 Spielberg releases on Blu are outstanding.

It's hard to argue which DP produced a better looking film. Jaws looks gorgeous because much of it is shot on the beach or on the water. It's colors are bright, Bill Butler didn't want a muted look. However Allen Davaiu did go with a more muted look for EOS. but it's still a stunning looking film. It's interesting to note that EOS was the last film that he worked for SS.

As far as Close Encounters I've never read that he dislikes the film, I do believe he's stated he might not make the same choices but what 60 year old man would make the same choices he made at 30.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a phenomenal film, it's transcendant at times. It's an important piece of cinema, So what if it isn't on the same level as 2001 for some. In and of itself it's a fine film full of great moments, and it's greater than the sum of its parts.

Frankly I don't see the problem with Alex and Lee's banter, it's honest and real.

I need to see EOTS! I'll have to find the blu on sale somewhere.

good luck with that. I think I got it for about 17 bucks but now it's up around 25/26 bucks. Still it's a digibook.

Looks nicer on the shelf, has pages of information and pictures a regular blu doesn't. The discs themselves are identical.

In EOTS's case, there is no regular version for sale at all, at least not yet

I just love the digibook format, it's just a beautiful presentation, yeah you generally pay a few more dollars for it but I don't mind.

besides I think EOS is only available in the states in the digibook format.

Oh, I'm waiting for an issue of a prepaid card (my last one expired 2 weeks ago), so that i start buying too.

I want to buy Indiana Jones boxset which is at a fairly good price now in UK ( £29), though i fear by the time I can use the card (in 3 days), the price will go gifher! (it already went £3 higher than yesterday)

Empire of the Sun is a superior looking film to Jaws, but then again their styles couldn't be more different and I've always preferred 'domestic' Spielberg in that regard anyway. Jaws is a very earthy looking film, modestly shot.

I need to get Empire of the Sun on Blu next and show it to my girlfriend (who hasn't seen it). Is the print done properly?

I have both on blu, and I believe Jaws is superior looking. It's one of the most beautifully restored blus out there. Empire is well represented as well, as I said earlier in another post all the 2012 Spielberg releases on Blu are outstanding.

It's hard to argue which DP produced a better looking film. Jaws looks gorgeous because much of it is shot on the beach or on the water. It's colors are bright, Bill Butler didn't want a muted look. However Allen Davaiu did go with a more muted look for EOS. but it's still a stunning looking film. It's interesting to note that EOS was the last film that he worked for SS.

As far as Close Encounters I've never read that he dislikes the film, I do believe he's stated he might not make the same choices but what 60 year old man would make the same choices he made at 30.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a phenomenal film, it's transcendant at times. It's an important piece of cinema, So what if it isn't on the same level as 2001 for some. In and of itself it's a fine film full of great moments, and it's greater than the sum of its parts.

Can't argue with any of that. I much prefer Close Encounters to 2001 anyway, probably because Spielberg's movie touches me on more of a spiritual level, for many different reasons. Then again they're not exactly comparable movies to begin with.

I need to see EOTS! I'll have to find the blu on sale somewhere.

It's readily available here and at sub ten pound prices, too. Hence my reservations of its print quality, since that does seem very cheap. Might just take a gamble on it in the end.

Nah mate!

Apart from Halle's impressive bod, and the score. Not much there.

Must watch it again soon.

Die Another Day is by far one of the worst, if not the worst, Bond film. At a minimum, it ranks up there with the worst of the Roger Moore films. Yeah, it's like the "View to a Kill" of the Brosnan era.

You're coming dangerously close to ruining the respect I've gained for your taste in cinema during the short time I've been here.

Nah mate!

Apart from Halle's impressive bod, and the score. Not much there.

Must watch it again soon.

Die Another Day is by far one of the worst, if not the worst, Bond film. At a minimum, it ranks up there with the worst of the Roger Moore films. Yeah, it's like the "View to a Kill" of the Brosnan era.

You're coming dangerously close to ruining the respect I've gained for your taste in cinema during the short time I've been here.

The Moore films are fantastically underrated. The Spy Who Loved Me, For Yours Eyes Only, and Octopussy are very very entertaining films. I will give you a View to a Kill, but even the lesser Moore Bonds, Man with the Golden Gun, and Live and Let Die are very watchable, and Moonraker is wonderfully bad, and yet beautiful shot, and vastly entertaining. And that score...

You'd purposefully buy a lousy movie?

Only if it had a really cool cover!

My first DVD was Armageddon Criterion.

Mine too!! Not Criterion, but a Greek DVD release in 1997!!

I was so impressed by the DVD format in comparison to VHS!

I had just bought my first pc and tried it...

oh, those nostalgic times......

My first DVD ever was Tomorrow Never Dies, purchased because of the Isolated Score track

Prior to that, I had rented a DVD player from a local video store, and rented Contact, LA Confidential, and 2 other titles I can't remember along with it.

Anyways, though i have long since upgraded most of my DVD collection to blu rays, I have held onto my original TND DVD for nostalgic purposes. It has a weird cover:

5913i.jpg