RUMOR: Force Awakens OST not releasing until January 2016

Jay

I'm just happy we're getting another John Williams Sstar Wars score. I'll take it whenever I can.

If the score WAS to be released in January, would that mean it couldn't qualify for the 2016 Oscars but rather the 2017 Oscars?

I'm just happy we're getting another John Williams Sstar Wars score. I'll take it whenever I can.

If the score WAS to be released in January, would that mean it couldn't qualify for the 2016 Oscars but rather the 2017 Oscars?

The Oscars are award ceremonies for films. Whether or not the scores even get a release for consumers to buy is completely irrelevant.

I could easily see this being true given Disney's secretive approach to marketing thus far. I would prefer if it came out before the movie because I am impatient and greedy, but there are certainly advantages to it coming out after the film too.

Us [entitled] JW fans need remember in ourselves that the greatest music in film was originally discovered during their viewing - when we sat watching the story unfold whilst thinking to ourselves "what is this amazing music I'm subconsciously absorbing??" It was that experience which compelled us to seek the OSTs out.

Chicken or the egg? To the puritan the film always came before the great score.

No! We are fans! We are entitled to the full score, with alternates, plus HD video footage of the sessions, plus unrecorded music as notation on a PDF, and every single CD signed by the Maestro!

;)

I have to say I actually like this idea of having the CD come out a few weeks after the film

I might actually like this idea. Imagine hearing "Duel of the Fates" for the first time in the theater without any prior knowledge (I know that was pretty much everybody's experience with the OT but whatever). The few Williams scores I've experienced as a fan were significantly watered down by exclusive first look tracks, multiple samples, and clips of the movie (which we'll still probably get, but whatever).

As a now full-fledged fan of Williams. Hearing nearly the entire new score in one sitting is an incredibly exciting prospect.

This is all silly. EVEN IF the physical release is delayed to January, the music will be all over the internet before the film opens anyway.

And yea, the track title part of the "story" makes no sense; Besides the fact the OST (and its titles) wouldn't be configured yet, its easy enough to pick non-spoilery titles. So this, obviously, makes the entire story seem bogus, but I suppose its always possible the delay IS true, but the REASONS the guy posted are wrong.

Regardless, I'm sure we'll hear plenty of this score before the movie is out; Trailers, TV spots, video games, website games, underneath featurettes and interviews, red carpet premiere, etc etc.... and then the OST leak.

Of course, anyone with will power can choose to not listen until after the film is released anyway.

Disney likes to make money, though, and there's a 0% change the digital OST won't be up for sale on either Dec 11 or Dec 18.

I would really like this movie to surprise me by being an actual quality Star Wars film, so in order to maximise the chances of that I'm going to refrain from listening to the ost until after I've been to the cinema. Then I can larf at you all for being excitable premature nerds!

Just curious, when did the original SW77 soundtrack come out?

Totally going by my very old memory, but I was 11 when Star Wars came out - didn't wind up seeing it until late June/early July since it didn't open in metro Atlanta until then, but I definitely remember seeing the LP in a record store at least a month before that at some point, so it must have come out either just before or right as the original movie came out. I know Empire and Jedi both came out a week or two before the movies were released.

With all the hype building up around this movie, especially over the next few months when marketing is going to ramp up, with toys becoming available, I just don't see a scenario that has the OST being released in January. They're going to take advantage of every opportunity to sell this movie, and the holiday season is not to be messed with.

Honestly I don't care if the release is delayed a month, I'll still get it in the end. I've got other music to listen to while waiting for it. Not like there's 6 other Star Wars scores to listen to...oh wait there is. :P

I like the idea of going in cold. It's so hard to resist listening to Williams music in advance.

Just imagine hearing The Imperial March for the first time while seated in the theater. Maybe Williams has hit it out of the park and Disney want to blow people away alongside their first viewing of the film?

This is a Disney release.

Don't all DIsney releases lately are available first on digital download and then in physical CD, days or weeks later?

Tomorrowland comes to mind. And i think Inside Out too..

What about UP???

That's not a Disney thing; These days, just about every piece of music is up for sale on digital retailers before the physical CD is released.

This is no ordinary score release. People are quite literally foaming at the mouth for this.

I certainly am, especially after reading a spoiler board about the film. There seems to be a lot of great scenes and moments that will allow Williams to shine.

Goddamit, I am torn. I want that score NOW! Unpolished raw scoring sessions would be fine- I don't care!

On the other hand, it is such a magical moment when you first encounter a great score accompanying a great film. We are dealing with music by the gods, after all...

Maybe Williams is sick and hasn't recorded any of it this summer. so that why there's a possible delay

The score has actually been recorded. They might have some pickups to do though.

Maybe Williams is sick and hasn't recorded any of it this summer. so that why there's a possible delay

The score has actually been recorded. They might have some pickups to do though.

How do you know?

I know someone who worked during the recordings in LA. Williams was conducting which is awesome as allways!

How do you know?

I know someone who worked during the recordings in LA. Williams was conducting which is awesome as allways!

Did your friend say anything else about the score?