The Official Jerry Goldsmith Thread

Faleel

Anyone saw the documentary about the making of Legend? I won't post the whole program but I will just post the part affecting Jerry Goldsmith...

Here Ridley Scott is trying to explain why the score is different from the US and European releases as well as the crew's reactions to Goldsmith's rejection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHBq-iHBQeg

Judging by this, it seems Ridley truly regretted not fighting for Goldsmith's score. So you really couldn't blame JG when he got angry with Scott.

Hmm, haven't seen any of this before, including the 2000 restoration version of the movie. Might have to reappraise...

I was not entirely won over, not even when the hammond organ started playing the classic baseball jingle. :P

A, that one isn't Goldsmith (or another composer I really like) so the blind buy principle doesn't apply. 2, it was available for streaming at the composer's website so I used Download Helper to acquire it.

Well in this one, it's implied that it's the studio that forced Ridley to ditched JG's score. Nevertheless, JG is still right to be angry with Scott.

The same year, Terry Gilliam was apparently bullied by his studio to throw out Kamen's score from Brazil. As far as I remember, he threatened to destroy the movie if they forced him. The score stayed.

Under this light, you certainly can't blame Goldsmith for being pissed off. I don't think Scott even tried to defend his score at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to Goldsmith's The Salamander suite ("Goodbyes & End Titles")... and I'm swept up into it. The reconstruction was really meticulous and feels like a brand new Goldsmith score.

I'm going to have to buy that.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember liking it greatly.

You remember well, my friend! In fact, it was so good, Ridley Scott used it again...

Well in this one, it's implied that it's the studio that forced Ridley to ditched JG's score. Nevertheless, JG is still right to be angry with Scott.

The same year, Terry Gilliam was apparently bullied by his studio to throw out Kamen's score from Brazil. As far as I remember, he threatened to destroy the movie if they forced him. The score stayed.

Under this light, you certainly can't blame Goldsmith for being pissed off. I don't think Scott even tried to defend his score at the time.

Gilliam did indeed threaten to destroy the negative of "Brazil", if Universal did not release his cut of it.

Universal - under the direction of Sid Shienberg - made a 90-minute cut, with (can you believe?!) a happy ending!!!!! Gilliam hated it, and took out a full-page add in a Hollywood paper (Variety, I think) which said: "Dear Mr Shienberg, when are you going to release my film "Brazil?"

Universal relented, and one of the truly great films of the last 50 years was eventually released, and in its full cut. Phew!

I need to confess something - I've never watched this film, nor do I ever heard Jerry's music for it (outside of one track on a Telarc album).

Karol

I need to confess something - I've never watched this film, nor do I ever heard Jerry's music for it (outside of one track on a Telarc album).

It's a good film. It's also the best action score ever written. A recording of just the theme really can't convey what's so good about the score. Plus with all the synths, it's hard to do even the theme justice in an average re-rec.

Karol

I dont care for much of the score, but this track from it is one of Jerry's true masterpieces (IMO).

It is one case where use of the 'over used' word 'Epic' is fully justified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UydcAgYhRc4

"The best action score ever written"?

Yes. This is just one of its many action highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsyplmQATko

Yet it also contains one of the non-action highlights of Goldsmith's career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UydcAgYhRc4

And the finale, with its ever-building drive, rivals ESB's finale in my ears (while of course still being totally different):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp11aC__eXA

I see Melange beat me to The Mutant, and chuckster posted my 2nd choice of action cues. :)

Love the Main Title too, even though it's basically a reworking of his Capricorn One theme. ;)

No it's not; it's a plagiarized version of Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian!!

Karol

Great film, great score!

Karol

One of them, yes, absolutely, no question.

Now, tell me: what is this "Deluxe Edition" album like, both completeness-wise and sound-wise?

Start with the OST. It must be like a dollar on Amazon. If you like it, get the DE later. The DE is long, and the most essential tracks are all on the OST.

Karol

Great film, great score!

Karol

This one and Rambo: First Blood part II

God the trombones are spectacular in that score. Love it .

I love the train horn like sound Goldsmith gets out of the brass starting at about 3:00 in End of a Dream.

Karol

This one and Rambo: First Blood part II

Parts of that come close, yes. And parts of Baby.