Vox: Vinyl's great. But it's not better than CDs.

Hlao-roo

You might remember that ahead of the recent TCM Fiddler screening, Williams, with characteristic pugnacity, slammed digital sound, saying that it "compresses things" and "isn't as warm." He suggested that musicians as a whole find analog sound "superior."

Not so, Mr. Williams. Not so.

Geringer and Dunnigan used identical microphone and mixing board setups to record four different concerts, each time using both a digital record and a high-quality analog cassette recorder (the MR-3 from audiophile favorite brand Nakamishi). They then had 40 music majors listen to the recordings, either with loudspeakers or headphones, while letting them switch between each recording at will. The test subjects were not aware of which was the digital recording, and which was the analog one. They were then asked to record their preferences.

It turns out that the music majors had a significant preferences for digital. "Participants gave significantly higher ratings to the digital presentations in bass, treble, and overall quality," Geringer and Dunnigan write. The results were weaker on some points than others (recordings of string orchestras were a particularly close call) but in no case was the average rating of the analog version higher than the average rating of the digital one. The most analog-generous thing to be taken away from the study is that there are some types of music for which people have no preference. But there were several where people had a real, noticeable preference for digital.

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/19/5626058/vinyls-great-but-its-not-better-than-cds

It's well established that music majors or more broadly classical aficionados, tend to prefer lifelike, crystal-clear recordings that in no shape or form colour the sound. The analogue supporters are usually either fans of pop or producers/recording engineers/mixers - these like that slightly unrealistic warmth and the pleasing grit associated with analogue clipping/overloading.

I fall in the later camp. If I want to hear a perfect reproduction of a performance I go to a concert hall, gig or DJ set.

They should've used a larger sample size and a more diverse frame.

I still agree with Johnny. Brass, lower registers and percussion in particular thrive in analogue in a way which if instead digitally recorded usually sound considerably drier and unexciting.

It's well established that music majors or more broadly classical aficionados, tend to prefer lifelike, crystal-clear recordings that in no shape or form colour the sound. The analogue supporters are usually either fans of pop or producers/recording engineers/mixers - these like that slightly unrealistic warmth and the pleasing grit associated with analogue clipping/overloading.

I fall in the later camp. If I want to hear a perfect reproduction of a performance I go to a concert hall, gig or DJ set.

They should've used a larger sample size and a more diverse frame.

Yep.

The Best support is... simply the original support that was used to record the original performance.

For modern analog recordings it's generally a tape... and for modern recordings it's a memory disk or card.

Then, in 2014 If you think that a vinyl can reproduce the sound recorded originally on a tape, better than a modern CD, there is a problem with you...

That's it!