Williams's Most Haunting Cues

Sharkissimo

The Fortress of Solitude from Superman is something I consider to be very haunting, especially the opening with the Krypton and the Crystal themes.

"Remembering Petticoat Lane" from JP

Jurassic Park is so full of these beautiful incidental melodies that trump most composers' main themes. Remembering Petticoat Lane is one of those masterful effortless pieces that conveys so many things at once. Plus it is extremely haunting as well.

"Remembering Petticoat Lane" from JP

Jurassic Park is so full of these beautiful incidental melodies that trump most composers' main themes. Remembering Petticoat Lane is one of those masterful effortless pieces that conveys so many things at once. Plus it is extremely haunting as well.

Indeed. Especially 1:51-2:16 (the bit that's tracked into the scene where Hammond stares one last time into the island before getting in the helicopter). Probably my favourite 15 seconds of the entire score.

Seriously, did anyone mention Epilogue from The Fury already...?

Nope but it should be up there with the best!

There are three themes from Star Wars I keep whistling over the years, because they are really moving and they litteraly haunt me :-)

Binary Sunset from ANH, The Finale from ESB, and Across the Stars.

The Death of Yoda and The Final Duel from ROTJ are great shivers cues too...

There's this little passage of music in Return of the Jedi, when Vader walks down the ramp of his shuttle at the beginning, right after the loud statement of the Imperial March

Here are a few that sprang to mind.

The Princess Appears

The Death of Yoda

Faking the Code

Brother and Sister

The Emperor Confronts Luke

Final Duel

Darth Vader's Death

The Rescue Operation

Among the Clouds

Walking Home

The Bedroom

Hook Returns to Kensington

Hook is Back

Wendy Tells Peter the Truth

The Face of Pan

Follow That Shadow

I Remember

The Next Morning

Father's Study

The Child Returns

Jaws complete score

A Tree for My Bed

Remembering Petticoat Lane

Minority Report complete score

Dramatic Tease

NBC News Bumper #11

Main Title: South America, 1936

Journey to Nepal

The Map Room: Dawn

Uncovering the Ark

Saving Private Ryan complete score

Schindler's List complete score

The City Sleeps

oh I have one, this one defines haunting

Washington Men from Raiders of the Lost Ark

I when it was unreleased it was wanted for it's hauntingness

JEDI is chock full of haunting moments. That bit you're talking about - the variation on the Imperial March's B section at 3:34?

yes, that's it, but I never realised it was an Imperial March variation

JEDI is chock full of haunting moments. That bit you're talking about - the variation on the Imperial March's B section at 3:34?

yes, that's it, but I never realised it was an Imperial March variation

It's that theme at 0:47 in The Imperial March.

• 5 months later...

I love how forlorn, lonely and indeed haunting that piece is. It thematically represents Nixon's darkness and sense of loneliness throughout the film but this last statement is both haunting and chilling in its emotional isolation. There is a certain inevitable, dispassionate, fateful quality to this piece, how the piano notes just slowly trickle down, musically illustrating the moment when Nixon truly feels that everything is at an end and darkness comes. But Williams does it with such eerie subtle means.

Saying the Rosary from Sleepers, especially the choral passages. Eerie, liturgical and haunting.

This isn't the sort of piece most people most people are mentioning, but I get chills down my spine every time I hear the choir enter at the beginning of "Battle of the Heroes."

I always found this slightly off-kilter:

Also,the cue AMONG TE CLOUDS from ALWAYS has a rather haunting atmosphere in its second half from 05:00 with that gripping religioso rising of the strings and the little flute trills underneath.If only the whole score was like that.

JP seems to have a good amount of haunting material. Williams really lavished the score with a lot of beautiful individual melodies.

JP seems to have a good amount of haunting material. Williams really lavished the score with a lot of beautiful individual melodies.

He was in peak form in the early nineties in that regard.