John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl (Seth MacFarlane host) August 2014

Muad'Dib

Yes, I was watching live while I was in college and I remember being frustrated when it was a rerun night. People complained about it a lot with LOST and so they tried to do a better job of avoiding that with seasons 3-6. I didn't care much by that point, since season 3 was right around the time I got a DVR.

Like Austria/Germany, where you get all the stuff dubbed AND months later (after you've already been thoroughly spoiled on the internet)? There's a reason I watch all my series online.

Well, with the season 36 weeks long but series filming only 21-24 episodes a season, there are bound to be repeats, as another poster said.

Series during the 50s and 60s filmed up to 30 episodes a year.

I do like show time and hbo that air their shows all in a row, and Fox did that with mid season 24.

So who else is gonna go this year! I didn't get to meet anyone last year from here (I don't think anyone else but me got to go).

Well if he's doing Warner Brothers than I sure hope its a lock he will do Superman. Then I will make the trip from NYC.

Like Austria/Germany, where you get all the stuff dubbed AND months later (after you've already been thoroughly spoiled on the internet)? There's a reason I watch all my series online.

That is why I once refused to move there!

Karol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So guys... What would be this concert about?

I want to go, maybe on of the last chances to see the Maestro, live. But I want to see him conducting his themes, not other composers. Is this concert almost about non-Williams related music ?

It is an actual concert with John Williams himself performing his own music, and likely he will play some selections from other composers as well for a bit. According to the description, he will "pay tribute to some of the classic stars of Warner Bros. Pictures, and conduct selections from some of his beloved movie hits, including Jurassic Park and, of course, Star Wars!". He almost always performs at least one piece (usually more) from Star Wars at his concerts. But this is the first time he has done music from Jurassic Park in quite some time, I believe. It's the reason I will actually be going this year. ;) The concert is for two days, but each day is usually the same music selections. Seth MacFarlane guest hosting isn't anything to get too excited or alarmed about. There is always some kind of host at his concerts at The Bowl at least, and Seth is a big fan of his music. Not sure what he has in store. Last year they had Julie Andrews, but she was only part of the show for the first section. I can see a repeat of that happening with him.

Single tickets go on sale on May 4th, btw. I don't think it will be a total sellout (it wasn't last year), but if you want to try and get a good seat (they are assigned) you may want to try and get your ticket at least within the month of May.

thank you scallenger, very informative. Well, that's enough for me then, it doesn't matter he plays other's composers music, as long as the majority of music played is actually his.

Thank you, and thank you very much for the advices.

For anyone who has gone to see JW at the Hollywood Bowl, what are average ticket prices? I know they would vary depending on the seat, but I'm just curious if its around the price of an average rock concert.

I'm definitely planning on going, and just want to get an idea of what I'll be spending...

Well I paid 80 last time for a seat middle center that was good. Some way in the back are like 30. Not sure what the most expensive are, possibly close to 200.

That's kind of what I was expecting. Thanks!

Okay, so tickets go on sale this Sunday. Who all thinks they will go? I definitely am, just going to decide how much I want to pay for a seat with the options available when I choose. Anyone wanna try to sit with me or organize a meet up on a certain day? For me it doesn't matter which day I go, so let me know now! :D That is, if you think I am cool enough. ;)

Okay, so tickets go on sale this Sunday. Who all thinks they will go? I definitely am, just going to decide how much I want to pay for a seat with the options available when I choose. Anyone wanna try to sit with me or organize a meet up on a certain day? For me it doesn't matter which day I go, so let me know now! :D That is, if you think I am cool enough. ;)

I plan to go on Saturday...so it would be cool to get in touch with someone from here, as I will be going alone. Where are you from?? I'll be flying in from Sacramento.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So who here is going to this concert on Friday the 29th? I know some people are going on Saturday the 30th, but so far don't know anyone going on the day I am going.

Okay, I am a bit worried now. Originally the blurb on the site read this, and it stayed with the same blurb for months:

With his instantly recognizable scores, John Williams has redefined the art of film music. He makes audiences cheer, brings them to tears and keeps them on the edge of their seats. This year, the Maestro welcomes special guest Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, Ted), pays tribute to some of the classic stars of Warner Bros. Pictures, and conducts selections from some of his beloved movie hits, including Jurassic Park and, of course, Star Wars! It's a Hollywood Bowl tradition not to be missed!

But now, as of today (I even checked a couple days ago, and it did NOT say this then), the blurb changed:

With his instantly recognizable scores, John Williams has redefined the art of film music. This year, the Maestro welcomes special guest Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, Ted), salutes dance in the movies, and conducts the Los Angeles Philharmonic in selections from some of his beloved movie hits, including Superman, Hook and, of course, Star Wars!

Notice how the blurb removed Jurassic Park and replaced it with Superman and Hook. Does this mean they likely changed the program, and now he won't be playing Jurassic Park? Ugh! I know it says "including", so there still could be a chance. But that was one of the main reasons why I wanted to go this year, since he didn't perform Jurassic last time. I wonder if they will put up the actual program, or if one could ask for it now since it is at the end of this month?

It is weird. A few years ago, I went to see Williams in Chicago and the program was set in advance. The only change the night of the performance was that Jurassic Park was replaced by Superman. Its like he gets cold feet or something with the piece.

I remember once at a Bowl concert, during a silence an audience member shouted "play Jurassic Park!" which elicited a laugh throughout the concert hall.

That actually happened last year when I went! Lots of people around me I heard randomly say "Jurassic Park!", especially when the encores were about to begin. And when the last encore played, and it wasn't from it, they all went "damn it!". So odd that such a obvious fan favorite keeps getting pushed aside, if that really is the case here...

Lol...

So, I had e-mailed the Hollywood Bowl site and asked them (inquisitively) why the blurb on their page for the concert had changed, if they knew what the program for the concert was now, and if JP would be part of it. While they didn't e-mail me back, the blurb changed again! LOL

This was what it said before I e-mailed, as seen recently in this thread:

With his instantly recognizable scores, John Williams has redefined the art of film music. This year, the Maestro welcomes special guest Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, Ted), salutes dance in the movies, and conducts the Los Angeles Philharmonic in selections from some of his beloved movie hits, including Superman, Hook and, of course, Star Wars!

This is how it looks today:

With his instantly recognizable scores, John Williams has redefined the art of film music. This year, the Maestro welcomes special guest vocalist Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, Ted), salutes dance in the movies, and conducts the Los Angeles Philharmonic in selections from some of his beloved movie hits, including Jurassic Park, Superman and, of course, Star Wars!

So as you can see, the ONE thing that has changed now is that they replaced Hook back with Jurassic Park again (and still kept Superman in the description)! lol. I guess while this still doesn't confirm that it will indeed be played, it is interesting that they went back to change it just for that after I had inquired. So it seems likely then that he will! Maybe they aren't allowed to officially divulge the the actual program yet?

Either way, I still can't wait to see this concert. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going tonight!!! It's always been an annual tradition to see him in Boston, which I did back in early June, but seeing as how I'm out here in Hollywood for a summer internship, I couldn't pass this up!! So weird and epic seeing him twice in a year, on both coasts. I'm so excited!!! :D

It was freaking awesome! And he did indeed perform Jurassic Park! Here is the full program:

Schwartz/Dietz "That's Entertainment!" (Arranged by Williams)

Theme From Jurassic Park

Excerpts from A Passage To India (Jarre)

Excerpts from Lawrence Of Arabia (Jarre, adapt. Karam)

"Sayuri's Theme" from Memoirs Of A Geisha

Call Of The Champions: A Salute to the Olympic Games

Hymn to the Fallen from Saving Private Ryan

"Dry Your Tears, Afrika" from Amistad

Superman March

Seth MacFarlane sings:

"Luck Be A Lady" from Guys and Dolls (Loesser)

"You're Sensational" from High Society (Porter)

"Everybody Needs A Friend" from Ted (MacFarlane/Murphy)

(An Encore, which I can't remember what it was)

Tango from Scent of a Woman (Gardel, arr. Williams, Bing Wang on violin)

An American In Paris (Gershwin)

The Varsity Drag (Henderson, arr. Williams)

Main Title from Star Wars

Encores:

Yoda's Theme

Imperial March

Raiders March

E.T. Flying Theme

He sang these three songs (and an encore that I can't remember what it was):

"Luck Be A Lady" from Guys and Dolls (Loesser)

"You're Sensational" from High Society (Porter)

"Everybody Needs A Friend" from Ted (MacFarlane/Murphy)

He was pretty good! That was pretty much all he did, cracked a couple minor quips in-between and may have slightly altered some lyrics for laughs.

Here is a video I just found of him performing part of "Luck Be A Lady"