What's the worse JW expanded release (RE-VOTE 2 OPTIONS)

King Mark

worst expanded JW release  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Worst JW expanded release

• The Phantom Menace UE(no comments needed)
    • The Indy Box Set (missing music, edits, pitch issues,slapped together feel)
    • Return of the Jedi SE (poor mix and sound quality, rushed release)
    • E.T. (wrong takes and incomplete..twice)
    • Hook (ultimate war film stem volume dips, no Never-Feast insert...)
    • Jaws (poor sound quality and no album versions)
    • Sony Star Wars OT re-issues (lazy missed opportunity, no remastering but lenticular covers)
    • Jurassic Park (non-chronological combined cues, still missing music, no c.d.)
    • other

I think you should have excluded the Ultimate version as well, although I don't excuse it. The irony is that despite how flawed it is, it's the only expanded release we've ever gotten from Sony and because of it, we're far better off with officially released material from Phantom than the other prequels. We don't even know the real reasoning behind that production. If it's not simply the isolated score (and I suppose it can't be since there are no volume changes, cleaner edits and alternate versions), then it was actually assembled for the album. I assume John Williams had to have been involved, he is credited inside and we know how he can be when it comes to expanded scores. Did he only permit them to release what was on those CDs? Hell, the bonus track version of Attack of the Clones was more insulting, wasn't it? That should have just been on every copy. The Sony reissues of the Trilogy are a bigger joke. Recall the DVD included with the Revenge of the Sith album that included material from those scores in vastly superior sound quality, yet they just reissued the same versions numerous times. We know they could have done them better.

I feel the animosity toward the La-La Land Hook has leveled off due to circumstances that occurred I suppose behind the scenes shortly afterward, but I think that release was a huge misfire. Ironically, it was the fault of Sony and Williams...again. But we KNOW there were sources out there for the material and that it could have been done better in the right hands. I suppose I just value that score more than, say, The Phantom Menace, so hearing the awful "Ultimate War" film version (or whatever the hell you want to call it), album version edits and alternates, seeing track titles from the bootlegs and even being baffled by those liner notes really rubbed me the wrong way a couple years ago. La-La Land releases are typically spectacular. The lesson from Hook is that the studio and composer should not be allowed to interfere.

E.T. might get some votes if it weren't for the Laserdisk isolated score bootlegs, so we care less if there's alternative means of getting the music .They can fuck up the eventual 2 c.d. set of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone all they want and it won't matter

Sony Classical did not get the message of the TPMUE backlash. Instead of working to improve the next one, they were angry and cancelled the next prequel expansions (it seems). Maybe that executive who was in charge of it is still working there and still blocking AotC and RotS

Complete versions of all 6 Star Wars films would sell like hot cakes. I don't understand why they haven't be released. Hopefully with Episode VII they will.

I went with ROTJ in the end. I re-listened to TPM:UE and I still really like it. ROTJ just sounds really, really poor in comparison.

I still can't abide the TMP UE. Everything about it, from its slapdash production to its physical construction (really? Darth Maul in blue? You ran out of red shiny ink?) declares it a total failure.

Though I can see an agree with many of the other points made here, especially about E.T. and Hook (which has still never gotten the release it deserves). However, for my second choice, I went with JP. Now that was a lazy re-release.

And where's Close Encounters on this list. . . ?

I re-listened to TPM:UE and I still really like it.

Then you will love the complete intended version.

Actually I was told that there were actually no plans for a expanded AOTC set. So that one report from way back when was false.

That report was false because "you were told" that there were no plans? The person who originated the report "was told" otherwise, and he is a reliable source.

Actually I was told that there were actually no plans for a expanded AOTC set. So that one report from way back when was false.

That report was false because "you were told" that there were no plans? The person who originated the report "was told" otherwise, and he is a reliable source.

Well, the second guy was more reliabler ;)

I still can't abide the TMP UE. Everything about it, from its slapdash production to its physical construction (really? Darth Maul in blue? You ran out of red shiny ink?) declares it a total failure.

Though I can see an agree with many of the other points made here, especially about E.T. and Hook (which has still never gotten the release it deserves). However, for my second choice, I went with JP. Now that was a lazy re-release.

And where's Close Encounters on this list. . . ?

Phantom Menace packaging in 1999 was red and black. 2000 was blue and black. That's probably why. Still stupid like, never really liked the artwork.

Phantom Menace packaging in 1999 was red and black. 2000 was blue and black.

Red an black in 1999? Blue and black in 2000? What packaging?

I think he means, everything TPM related, DVD's, Toys etc. (I remember Green and Black at one point I think)

Jurassic Park was a nice surprise that no one saw coming and included most of the unreleased music. For a release of one of his biggest scores with JW involvement, that was pretty big.

Phantom Menace packaging in 1999 was red and black. 2000 was blue and black.

Red an black in 1999? Blue and black in 2000? What packaging?

I think he means, everything TPM related, DVD's, Toys etc. (I remember Green and Black at one point I think)

Think Green and Black might have been 2001.

Is this thread for the most disappointing release, or the worst?

Because the worst would have to be the SW OT reissue, right? Absolutely nothing of value there, whereas all the others as least gave us more music, even if they were shoddily produced.

If we're talking most disappointing/biggest missed opportunity, then definitely TPM UE.

Jurassic Park was a nice surprise that no one saw coming and included most of the unreleased music. For a release of one of his biggest scores with JW involvement, that was pretty big.

I have to agree! While I still wish we had those additional 3 minutes or so that didn't make it, and clean openings/closings to some cues, I'm really happy with the selections that were made for unreleased material. And I am one of those who was actually a fan of the remastering for the most part! My biggest gripe with the JP expanded release actually was that there was no CD edition of it. I know the entire program they chose wouldn't fit on a single CD, which just makes me wish they would have done a 2 CD release, even if it was like OST on Disc One and "bonus tracks" on Disc Two of ALL the unreleased music. But heck, not even just the remastered OST got a new CD release, even though it very oddly was given an LP treatment (??). Granted, there is the HD Tracks release at least, but that isn't even available to all countries. I consider that pretty awful, and only gives more reason for people to get it by other means if they want it in lossless audio.

I didn't want to say the source but to clear things up the person who told me via email was Mike Matessino. So HE would be more reliable then the person who mentioned about the release was ready to go but got canned. So I hope that squares things away.

BTW my vote still sticks with The Phantom Menace U.E. Also Bilbo Skywalker, I sent you a PM.

Still just TPM

:)

Honestly, I've never had an issue with "TMP:UE".What an undemanding person I am.

Isn't "CE3K" almost complete?

What exactly is missing from "E.T", that isn't covered by the inclusion of both the original MCA CD, and the re-issue(s)?

What exactly is missing from "E.T", that isn't covered by the inclusion of both the original MCA CD, and the re-issue(s)?

The film version of E.T. Is Dying remains unreleased, as does Elliot Explores The Cornfield and Elliot's First Kiss. The only way to hear all those clean is via the isolated score on an old laser disc.

The film version of E.T. Is Dying remains unreleased, as does Elliot Explores The Cornfield and Elliot's First Kiss. The only way to hear all those clean is via the isolated score on an old laser disc.

Thanks. Isn't the "E.T. Among The Toys" (or whatever it's called) cue missing?

Was any music written for the Harrison Ford scene?

How about ya'll both stop claiming the other one's source is unreliable without knowing who it is.

That'd be hilarious if Ricard's source was also Matessino.

I believe, Ricard was talking about that one post from I think the user Ocelot or something like that back in early 2002. That's not Mike Matessino and I for one trust Mike's word.

I was talking about several emails I received back in 2003. Ocelot (actually Wael Binally, who was working in Hollywood back then) also had inside information that confirmed the rumors. However, if Mike did mention that there were actually no plans for such a release, that was probably the case.

Apologies, I was thinking of the wrong cue. In the final film, "Toys" isn't used, and instead that scene has music tracked in from "ET Is Alive" aka "ET Phone Home" instead.

So yea, "Stuffed" Animals" is another unreleased cue.

Quite a number of these are disappointing releases (although, at least there ARE expanded releases!), but I chose Jurassic Park - simply because to this day Universal has not bothered to make the album available in my home country (so no, I have still not been able to listen to one of my favorite cues (the encased mosquito...)). Lazy, folks...

Uh, uh, uh.... Be careful, or I ask Jason to ban you for anti-German comments! ;-)