John Williams: A Celebration! An 80th Birthday Tribute (Sony Classical CD releasing February 28th)

Jay

I wonder, since this Happy Birthday Variations was recorded in 1999, how many of these pieces JW and Sony have tucked away waiting just the right moment to release them. Glad to see it is an orchestral version since the initial info on piano version sounded a bit strange.

For sure, there are two pieces from Angela's Ashes arranged for cello that Yo-Yo Ma and Williams recorded during the sessions of the Cello Concerto.

Hey, they mention now Williams not on Piano but Williams Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles!

That would mean it IS the orchestral Version of Happy Birthday Variations! :)

EDIT: Just saw that you mentioned this already Icanus.

I wonder, since this Happy Birthday Variations was recorded in 1999, how many of these pieces JW and Sony have tucked away waiting just the right moment to release them. Glad to see it is an orchestral version since the initial info on piano version sounded a bit strange.

For sure, there are two pieces from Angela's Ashes arranged for cello that Yo-Yo Ma and Williams recorded during the sessions of the Cello Concerto.

I believe those are two excerpts from the complete suite. I wonder if they ever recorded the whole thing... Williams with Ma and the late author Frank MCourt did the suite in Boston in 2000, something really magical and wonderful and that should have found its way to a CD release. McCourt reading his own writings made them even more powerful. Actually, I stronlgy recommend everyone to read his three books.

Williams has a recording contract with Sony, hence the December '89 onward recording made in Boston and other locations (L.A., Pittsburgh, Chicago, London) are released by them. Still, that isn't automatically owned by Sony -- consider for example the film score recordings, some released by Sony, some not. Also, in 2001, Williams recorded his TreeSong for DGG, and in Boston.

I still have the hope that during the year the BSO label will release something recorded by him, during his live appearances in Boston...

if im not mistaken, the bso released the premiere of his harp concerto back in september.

ive been waiting for YEARS of some sort of recording of his happy birthday variations to come out. i was browsing through sheet music once when i saw the orchestra score, but there was no recording i could find. i think, if im not mistaken, that it was written for seiji osawa for his birthday concert at tangelwood

"Happy Birthday Variations" was written to celebrate three birthdays: Ozawa, 60, Perlman, 50 and Ma, 40. It was premiered in Tanglewood, and no one else but Mstlav Rostropovich conducted the Japanese premiere that same year, at a Saito Kinen Orchestra concert celebrating Ozawa's birthday.

And yes, BSO Classics released in HD audio "On Willows and Birches," Concerto for Harp and Orchestra last year. But later on, around November, they took that one out, for some odd reason. One can still order it from iTunes though. But it should be pointed out that it isn't conducted by the composer, but rather by the then assistant conductor Shi-Yeon Sung. This was the third of three BSO performances of the piece, and the best of the three, if you ask me. The premiere was conducted by James Levine, replaced on short notice by Daniele Gatti for the second performance.

"Happy Birthday Variations" was written to celebrate three birthdays: Ozawa, 60, Perlman, 50 and Ma, 40. It was premiered in Tanglewood, and no one else but Mstlav Rostropovich conducted the Japanese premiere that same year, at a Saito Kinen Orchestra concert celebrating Ozawa's birthday.

And yes, BSO Classics released in HD audio "On Willows and Birches," Concerto for Harp and Orchestra last year. But later on, around November, they took that one out, for some odd reason. One can still order it from iTunes though. But it should be pointed out that it isn't conducted by the composer, but rather by the then assistant conductor Shi-Yeon Sung. This was the third of three BSO performances of the piece, and the best of the three, if you ask me. The premiere was conducted by James Levine, replaced on short notice by Daniele Gatti for the second performance.

i knew it was never conducted by Williams, but he was at the premiere and he worked with ann hobson pilot. im sure youve seen the promotional video of the piece. i always prefer to hear the original conducted by the composer, but in this case with alot of williams concert music, was glad to hear it at all as most of it has never been recorded. im sorry to say i wasnt able to make it to the concert but i did notice levine only conducted the premiere. apparently hes been ill for years and finally stepped down as conductor a few months ago. sad really, he was there for years and alot of people thought very highly of him

Not all composers are the best performers of his own work. I myself will be pretty damn glad if we have this pieces performed by top musicians. Slatkin, for example, is a wonderful conductor and I'm greatly pleased he's been performing and recording Williams concertos.

I should also say that most of Williams concertos are now available on recording. With exception of the two last ones -- viola and oboe -- only the clarinet one is missing a proper recording. The one existing, that can be found on iTunes is lacking in recording quality, and many have questioned if it isn't some sort of bootleg.

I think Williams has proven he can conduct his own music the best.

There exist none of his film score tracks that are better re-recorded by someone else than the original ones by Williams. There's always something a bit "off"

Yeah, he's very particular about conducting his own work. I think he calls it "defensive conducting" or something, because he doesn't want to risk other musicians interpreting differently than he intended it to be interpreted.

That's said I'd rather have his concertos conducted by slatkin than none at all. Also he seems to do a better job than most keeping with Williams intentions

Hopefully we get clarinet, viola and oboe, the last 3 missing

well thats very true about alot of conductors, they really are lost when they stand at the podium. Williams is totally different, and is a great conductor in is own right. He knows exactly what he wants when hes conducting. Whats so great about him is he gets what he wants without annoying the musicians, which alot of conductors are terrible at.

also, whats interesting about Williams music (atleast the published stuff) is that alot of it isnt incredibly detailed. the notes are usually correct ( i say that because i noticed the piano solo for Sabrina isnt exact) but tempo, volume, ect, which we hear in the recordings, are not always marked in the sheet music, which leaves alot up to the conductor. ive also noticed that in some of his music, there is a slight slight retardando on the fourth beat of a series of measures. i think its most noticable in the recordings of the raiders march during marions theme

There exist none of his film score tracks that are better re-recorded by someone else than the original ones by Williams. There's always something a bit "off"

I can't say that I agree... Slatkin's recording with the Saint Louis Symphony of the Imperial March beats Williams with any other orchestra.

I could add others examples were I feel others presented better renditions, but I'm sure this would be a lost argument, so lets call it a taste thing and be happy.

Except for Jurassic Park.

....?

Williams had a back problem and Artie Kane had to conduct part of the music for that one.

And pretty much every Williams-conducted "Theme from Jurassic Park" since has been more adventurous sounding than majestic.

Fixed!

its his concert arrangement that uses no choir and includes the adventure theme and t-rex rescue finale.

Has he ever re-recorded/conducted the Jurassic park theme as it was (edited... opening-film cue-coda...) in the film OST?

its his concert arrangement that uses no choir and includes the adventure theme and t-rex rescue finale.

Has he ever re-recorded/conducted the Jurassic park theme as it was (edited... opening-film cue-coda...) in the film OST?

not to my knowledge, i wish he would. jurassic park is my favorite and i dont think it gets enough attention.

I can't say that I agree... Slatkin's recording with the Saint Louis Symphony of the Imperial March beats Williams with any other orchestra.

I could add others examples were I feel others presented better renditions, but I'm sure this would be a lost argument, so lets call it a taste thing and be happy.

Except for Jurassic Park.

....?

Williams had a back problem and Artie Kane had to conduct part of the music for that one.

how the hell do you guys know all of this stuff?

And pretty much every Williams-conducted "Theme from Jurassic Park" since has been too fast.

and i dont really think you can say they are "too fast". its faster then the original yes, but hes the composer, he can do with it what he wishes.

And pretty much every Williams-conducted "Theme from Jurassic Park" since has been more adventurous sounding than majestic.

Fixed!

my thoughts exactly! (although i still love the original too)

Another recent Williams compilation by the Cottbus Philharmonic:

http://www.amazon.co...WY8/ref=mb_oe_o

Nice (little odd though) to see a lot of HP.CoS Tracks on there.Are those HalLeonard Signature Editions? Could the be any different than the OST Tracks? Also nice to have an alternate recording of the Liberty Fanfare.

Age...

And Miguel's knowledge..

Hey it's a community effort Manuel! Other people know stuff too! :stick:

Though not as much as Miguel. He is a walking encyclopedia of all things Williams. ;)

Nice (little odd though) to see a lot of HP.CoS Tracks on there.Are those HalLeonard Signature Editions? Could the be any different than the OST Tracks? Also nice to have an alternate recording of the Liberty Fanfare.

Some orchestra should finally re-record the entire HPPS Children's Suite. Quidditch, Voldemort and Diagon Alley movements have never been re-recorded and Family Portrait movement only once. If I remember correctly this is the first re-recording of Fluffy and his Harp.

Of course alternatively Williams could release his original tracks he recorded during the recording sessions. ;)

I believe that this are from the concert suite Williams arranged for Chamber of Secrets -- I'm saying without having listened to any samples...

As for Liberty Fanfare, there are numerous recordings available, the best ones by Kunzel with the Cincinnati Pops and Lockhart with the Boston Pops. Both of them I find superior performances to Williams on the "By Request" album. And if you go into band arrangements, there are more recorded performances of that one that I can count.

Age...

And Miguel's knowledge..

Hey it's a community effort Manuel! Other people know stuff too! :stick:

Though not as much as Miguel. He is a walking encyclopedia of all things Williams. ;)

Thank you both, that is kind of you.

But others do contribute and their knowledge on this stuff is something to behold.

As for Incanus, I would highly recommend his score analysis, some of the best stuff I've read.

Some orchestra should finally re-record the entire HPPS Children's Suite. Quidditch, Voldemort and Diagon Alley movements have never been re-recorded and Family Portrait movement only once. If I remember correctly this is the first re-recording of Fluffy and his Harp.

Of course alternatively Williams could release his original tracks he recorded during the recording sessions. ;)

Sadly but true. I know that most of this have been performed a bit all around the world. I guess a budget couldn't be created to have them recorded. But since Williams did record them during the first film sessions, maybe in time Warner or Sony, or whoever detains the recording rights, see fit to release them.

I enjoy Erich Kunzel's version of the SpaceCamp end credits more than the original. It sounds even more Williamsy than Williams' own conducted version.

I think Gerhardt's Star Wars and especially Empire Strikes Back live up to Williams' original scores. This is true of the Utah Symphony Star Wars Trilogy as well. I personally wouldn't say they're better, but they're actually worth a damn. Feel free to disregard most other recordings.

That's debatable to say the least.

Of course it is. And as a strong believer in the reinterpretability of orchestral music (or any other kind of music that doesn't rely on so much post production that it cannot be performed live), I generally like the fact that different performances and recordings can have different strengths. Especially in the case of film music, where the (too) sacred original recording is fueled but at the same time limited by the timings of the film. Few so-called re-recordings, especially by different artists than the OST, can match the original recording, but I attribute that mostly to budgetary confines.

That said, the thing that always astounds me about Gerhardt's Star Wars (the first one; I find ROTJ very good but not up to this, and I've always found his ESB rather weak) is that it's very faithful to the original yet manages to combine that with the atmosphere and indulgence of a concert performance. The sweeping parts of the score have never sounded quite as sweeping elsewhere.

I agree about Kunzel's SpaceCamp. I also think his Theme from the Lost World is superior to Williams', although I haven't heard Williams conduct that specific arrangement. It could also be that the orchestra is better.

Kunzels Lost World theme lacks some instruments and is played too fast. There sadly is no real good high quality recording of Williams Lost World concert arrangement...

Sadly there is no real good high quality recording of Williams Lost World concert arrangement...

Well.....I wouldnt say that....

But it is true. The best high quality arrangement i know of is from a spanish concert and its not bad but far from Williams own conducted version he did with the LSO (which sadly only exists in extremely crappy, ear hurting quality).

What would i give if someone had this LSO version of the Lost World theme in high quality...

Most likely they are the Signature Editions. Every single piece on the compilation is also available as a published score in the SE series. Flying Theme for sure (the SE score has glockenspiel parts accidentally written into the harp/piano parts instead, and the flute solo near the end of the piece is changed to piccolo - exactly as played on this album).

Most likely they are the Signature Editions. Every single piece on the compilation is also available as a published score in the SE series. Flying Theme for sure (the SE score has glockenspiel parts accidentally written into the harp/piano parts instead, and the flute solo near the end of the piece is changed to piccolo - exactly as played on this album).

ive noticed that about the SE scores. "The Mission" has four measures missing at the very end, which i find strange. sometimes i see him use the SE scores during concerts minues all the mistakes and alterations of course

Sadly, it's been known that the Signature editions have occasional errors. When Williams did his Bassoon Concerto "Five Sacred Trees" with the Chicago Symphony, he and the soloist, who was using the Signature edition score, uncovered a number of errors, and the scores were recalled by Hal Leonard.

Sadly, it's been known that the Signature editions have occasional errors. When Williams did his Bassoon Concerto "Five Sacred Trees" with the Chicago Symphony, he and the soloist, who was using the Signature edition score, uncovered a number of errors, and the scores were recalled by Hal Leonard.

strange isnt it, that there would be SO many mistakes in scores, especially published by Hal Leonard. They are supposed to check those things meticulously.

also Miguel, do you know his shoe size?