Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (directed by Brad Bird, music by Michael Giacchino)

Jay

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to hear Mood India and Mumbai's the Word being recorded and they're both pretty fantastic, definitely my favorite cues from the day I was there.

Hi All

Check out a new audio podcast of "On the Score," as composer MICHAEL GIACCHINO gives an extensive and enthusiastic talk that covers his scoring adventures from MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL, then continues to burn the fuse with CARS 2, MONTE CARLO, 50/50 and SUPER 8, ending with his look at the Oscar nomination game!

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=8910

It's a wide-ranging, incisive interview that takes another year of On the Score out with a bang. Thanks for listening, and tune in next year to listen to Hollywood's top composers at Filmmusicmag.com, and with music excerpts at XM / Sirius' Cinemagic, online at Channel 806.

Daniel Schweiger

Host, "On the Score"

Filmmusicmag.com

No, but the reviews are very encouraging. I'll see it when it comes out here. Which is on Boxing Day, I think.

The score makes it feel like a much better movie, fun.

Karol

Saw the movie 2 days ago.

It is pretty good and as fun to watch as the previous ones ;)

Giacchino's score is great too, works pretty well !

I hope you're right, or else you'll owe me 10 bucks!

Which one does it resemble in style, or is it completely different from the first 3 movies?

Ebert gave it 3.5 stars

Why this guy is so important? Most of the time he just describes what happens in any given movie. There's nothing interesting in his reviews.

Karol

No way. All style and flashiness. Little to no substance. and lacking the suspense and cleverness of DePalma's film.

I like style and flashiness now and then and I am not watching Hollywood movies for substance.

I thought it was almost as good as Face/Off, John Woo's other masterpiece.

I remember seeing the first two as a kid. I didn't understand what was going on in the first one but I enjoyed it. I did understand what was going on in the second but I think it was nowhere as fun as the first one. I remember several sequences of the first one. Of the sequel, only a scene in a car and a moment with a knife.

When I rewatch them now before I see the new one (Bird = must see), I'll probably skip number 2. I only have time to see so many films.

The first Mission: Impossible is a really cool film. Some of the stuff looks dated (as it usually happens), but at least it's something for the brain as well. You need to pay attention. It's very un-Hollywood for some reason. And it actually feels like a spy film!

Karol - who watched it a few weeks ago

Just came here to say...screw you Dan Wallin. You have outdone yourself.

You've really helped raise awareness about what listening to music is like for a partially deaf person. I *actually* had to take my headphones off and check my ears for wax and to make sure something wasn't wrong with my ears when the first track started playing. That's how well you've simulated music through the ears of a partially deaf person.

Now f*ck off please.

This is getting ridiculous. I can't even enjoy the scores anymore because of how badly he mucks them up.

As a point of comparison even the most horribly muffled tracks in the Return of the Jedi special editions at least had warm and energetic sound signatures.

This guy applies his muffling filter to a dead, cold, soulless corpse of a sound signature.

it is very good but listening to the score you could hear Star Trek 2009. I really liked this film alot and then it hit me it's Mission Impossible meets The Spy Who Loved Me. Seriously not bad bones at all.

I think we may have to shell out another $24 to see that Skyscraper scene in IMAX just one more time. First time I've felt scared of the heights depicted in a movie.

[EDIT]

F*ck me! That was actually Tom Cruise up on the world's tallest building.... http://io9.com/5869513/brad-bird-tells-us-how-it-feels-to-throw-tom-cruise-out-of-a-1717+foot-building

[/EDIT]

Saw it yesterday. I liked it. Great film, probably better than most films of 2011.

I liked the score too.

8,5/10

Did you like MI:2?

Nobody liked MI2

Because you don't like it it doesn't mean nobody likes it.

I just want to see how people who liked MI:2 react to MI:4.

The first Mission: Impossible is a really cool film. Some of the stuff looks dated (as it usually happens), but at least it's something for the brain as well. You need to pay attention. It's very un-Hollywood for some reason. And it actually feels like a spy film!

Karol - who watched it a few weeks ago

I watched it yesterday. I liked it much more that Mission Impossible 4.

OK, I finally saw the film yesterday.

Honestly, I was surprised by how much I didn't like it! I was FULLY expecting to enjoy the hell out of it, based on my love of all of Brad Bird's other films, the extremely positive reviews by both critics and members of this board. Also it seemed to be a natural sequel to MI3 in tone and stuff, and I liked that installment quite a bit.

However, it just didn't work for me, and I dunno if I can put my finger on why. I guess while MI1 and MI3 at least tried to make things seem believable/possible despite some fancy sci-fi tech being involved, this movie just lost me SEVERAL times by doing stuff that was just way too far over the top.

Now in general I don't have a problem with over the top movies, I am absolutely capable of enjoying the hell out of movies that don't take themselves serious and are just a fun ride. But something about the way this film is presented just didn't work. It was like they tried to make everything seem like they were taking it seriously, but they they'd go and blow it by doing something silly. Like in Dubai - they remove the window from their hotel room, no one notices. Ethan climbs up the building with sticky gloves, and no one notices. He BREAKS THE WINDOW OF THE SERVER ROOM, and no one notices. What? They reason he went in from the outside was because of how much security was supposedly on the inside. But they put no security on the damn window? SInce when are server rooms on the 122nd floor anyway? And right by a window? That's prime real estate for a hotel room for a paying customer. Stick the servers in the basement. I dunno.

I also think it was a missed opportunity to have their mask technology break. The masks are what make these movies fun! But in this movie the only person that ever wears one is a bad guy? Lame. Oh, but getting back to my point, it would have been cool to have the female agent look like the assassin girl for the exchange, so then when they end up fighting each other they would both look the same, and when she's in the agent's room and Simon Pegg come in he wouldn't know which one to shoot, etc. Missed opportunity.

Speaking of masks, I was confused. Why did that one bad guy have a mask on, that Ethan unmakss in the sand storm? I mean, it proves that the buyer was just the main villian all along...... but so what? How does that detail affect the story in any way? I was confused at several points in this film, something that never happened in any of the first 3 films (all of which I recently rewatched this week. Man, is 2 TERRIBLE).

The most over the top stuff was whenever Ethan was doing his solo stuff. His footchase of the bad guy through the snow storm and the car crash, etc was just ...... dumb. And at the end in the ..... .what was that, a parking garage? What the HELL was that all about? Why were all those platforms constantly moving? Wouldn't a place like that be MANNED? Wouldn't somebody be like "Oh the customer needs the car in slot 37B, let me have the platform go up there and get it" ? Instead it was just all this stuff moving around seemingly on its own. It was like something George Lucas would put into a Star Wars prequel for the hell of it. And on top of that the scene went on so long I stopped caring about anyone in it.

Also not sure how I feel about the end.... I think its great that Ethan and Julia are still together after the third film.... but what happened exactly, he faked his death to get put into the prison to meet that contact, right? So then why, now that everything is over and the world is safe and the bad guy is dead, why can't he and Julia be together again? Why did they have to smile from across the way and not interact? I dunno.

Giacchino's score was excellent. I loved the Russian choir music as well as the Indian music and everything in between. Helluva fun score, I like it more than MI3s, I think.

One last thing - I came in late - so I not only missed the Dark Knight Rises prologue (I saw in IMAX), I also missed the very beginning of the film. Can someone please post what happens in the film before the scene where Ethan and the other prisoner go down the sinkhole and "light the fuse"? Thanks!

Oh yea - the IMAX. Was not impressed. Part of the problem is that for all the scenes NOT shot with IMAX cameras, you get a letterboxed display with black bars on the top and bottom. And since what's essentially a 35mm image is blown up to a size larger than it was intended to be shown at, its noticeably grainy. Then when it switches to a true IMAX scene, there's no more black bars, which is cool because the full IMAX experience is really engrossing. You just feel like you are surrounded by the movie and in every direction is huge detail. And no more grain of course. But these moments are always fleeting.... and you always notice when it switches and switches back. And you could tell that the shots are framed so they still work in 2.35:1 presentation in non-IMAX screens, its clear you're supposed to look dead center and the top and bottom parts are superfluous. Not worth the extra $$ for this film, IMHO.

Moreau (woman) shoots down somebody that was part of the team. Ethan is in prison, together woth some other, Russian guy and they escape using the help of Benji and Jane.

The beginning scene was flashbacked several times in the film, revealing more and more.

It's kind of weird that they used Indian music in the Emirates. And Indian dancers? That's just weird.

The Indian music and dancers were when they were in Mumbai, in India, which was after the sequence in Dubai in the UAE.

The part where the female assassin kills Sawyer from Lost was shown after the main credits, not before, and it wasnt flashbacked to throughout the film, it was only shown the one time.

So I guess I just missed however the prison escape starts

The film actually opens with a "Budapest" card, and Dubai-styled pans and zooms over the city to the top of a building where Holloway is being chased, he jumps out of the building and shots in mid air the guys up there, he falls on a sort of air bed that was setup there. He gets up, encounters the hot French chick and is shot. From there to the prison escape, then main titles. The Holloway scene is explained right afterwards I think. It's kind of neat.

The most over the top stuff was whenever Ethan was doing his solo stuff. His footchase of the bad guy through the snow storm and the car crash, etc was just ...... dumb. And at the end in the ..... .what was that, a parking garage? What the HELL was that all about? Why were all those platforms constantly moving? Wouldn't a place like that be MANNED? Wouldn't somebody be like "Oh the customer needs the car in slot 37B, let me have the platform go up there and get it" ? Instead it was just all this stuff moving around seemingly on its own. It was like something George Lucas would put into a Star Wars prequel for the hell of it. And on top of that the scene went on so long I stopped caring about anyone in it.

You've never used or heard of an automated parking garage?

The film actually opens with a "Budapest" card, and Dubai-styled pans and zooms over the city to the top of a building where Holloway is being chased, he jumps out of the building and shots in mid air the guys up there, he falls on a sort of air bed that was setup there. He gets up, encounters the hot French chick and is shot. From there to the prison escape, then main titles. The Holloway scene is explained right afterwards I think. It's kind of neat.

Ah i get it now, thanks!

You've never used or heard of an automated parking garage?

I get what it was but why were there no other people there if everything was moving around so much?