World Premiere of Tintin and War Horse in concert!

Joe Brausam

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wonderful catch Joe! Perhaps Williams will present an extended concert suite version of Tintin's Theme in this concert! :)

I'm very interested to find out how he'll be presenting these scores in concert. Tintin I would imagine would be a suite. War Horse I'm not sure of though, Homecoming could pass as a concert suite, but I have a feeling he might surprise us with a unique concert arrangement of some of the themes.

So I guess the Boston concerts this spring won't be the world premiere, though it will be interesting to hear if the concert arrangements differ from the end credits suites.

I want the score for "Homecoming"!

ookkkaay, finally the Tintin theme concert version Williams didn't finish in time for the OST

It's a fundraiser even so it's unlikely anyone here is going, much less sneaking in a recording device

The problem with playing a score like Tintin live is that most of the best parts are fairly technical, so they usually they don't sound nearly as good as they do on the recording. Tempo will probably be slower, mix will be off, musicians won't be as familiar with the parts, etc. Still, new JW in any form is exciting.

I think it's more likely Williams will play "Snowy's Theme" or "The Adventure Continues".

well he came up with concert versions not on the OST in the last few movies he scored

I'm always amused when film music fans speculate that 'regular' symphonic orchestras might struggle with their favourite material.

A quaint belief, but that's okay.

Well having witnessed some struggling from a few Finnish orchestras with Williams' more lively material, and those were professional great orchestras by the way, to me it seems Williams' music is not always easy to play.

I'm always amused when film music fans speculate that 'regular' symphonic orchestras might struggle with their favourite material.

A quaint belief, but that's okay.

Huh? I've seen JW conduct the LA Phil live, and any piece that included technical passages wasn't nearly as good as the recording, plus it's usually played much slower. That's not a slam against these orchestras, it's just the truth.

I'm sure that's due to a lack of quality rehearsal time, not a lack of skill on the part of the players. I mean, the LA Phil in particular is an especially brilliant orchestra.

The Prague Phil's film music used to be consistently dire, but their more recent stuff has improved considerably, presumably because they are now given more time to study the material.

Williams isn't John Barry, that's for sure - you cannot yawn to the finish like with the JOHN DUNBAR THEME when you're playing STAR WARS, but one shouldn't forget that a concert hall isn't a mixing studio, where over 25 recording tracks can be mixed differently.

I visited Williams concerts, Goldsmith concerts, Morricone concerts, played by the most versatile orchestras and there always were flubs and intonation 'problems', but only compared to the OST, taken on its own terms, hardly anyone would notice them.

Studio orchestras are mind bogglingly talented though. Amazing musicians whose sight reading is on a whole another level. We take their sound for granted but to sound so good so consistently is an amazing feat. Of course live performance is a live performance with not the control of a studio recording. And of course a different interpretation of a piece of music is a different thing than a bad or ungainly performance.

I'm sure that's due to a lack of quality rehearsal time, not a lack of skill on the part of the players. I mean, the LA Phil in particular is an especially brilliant orchestra.

The Prague Phil's film music used to be consistently dire, but their more recent stuff has improved considerably, presumably because they are now given more time to study the material.

I'm not sure a studio orchestra gets much more time to rehearse. They're just excellent sight readers. A concert orchestra like the LA Phil is usually playing fairly standard pieces, on the other hand. They probably know all the classical standards like the back of their hand, but when they go to play an obscure action cue from a brand new film it won't be as good as the recording (that's not the say they're not amazingly talented). Then you can add in the pressure, the fact that they don't have somebody to mix the performance and make sure the orchestra is properly balanced, the fact that they can't wait for the best take...it's just not going to be as good.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure a studio orchestra gets much more time to rehearse.

Thats only if your Horner, replacing Yared.

:)

The best musicians in the world are in Hollywood orchestras. And I hear JW handpicks them for each one of his recordings

He handpicks some of them, for example Randy Kerber, or Jim Morisson, but Sandy De Crescent does most of the work.

So is anyone going to this?

Got my tickets. I've never been to a concert venue in LA other than the Hollywood Bowl, so it should be really fun!

(Note: Sorry, I do not possess a device to record any of the concert program, not do I plan on obtaining one by the 15th, so please don't ask. Thanks!)

The best musicians in the world are in Hollywood orchestras. And I hear JW handpicks them for each one of his recordings

Some of the worlds best musicians are in Hollywood. There are many others in LSO, Vienna, Australia etc etc. It's worth noting that some of the musicians in LA Phil are studio musicians.

Well having witnessed some struggling from a few Finnish orchestras with Williams' more lively material, and those were professional great orchestras by the way, to me it seems Williams' music is not always easy to play.

Oh please? Finnish orchestra's?

Shut it!

Ditto! You have gone too far Mr. Cosman! Our woodblock, treebark horn and animal skin drum bands are famous world wide and strike fear into the heart of the heathens who say otherwise!

You see Mr. Cosman?!! You see?!!! Proof! Undeniable proof! Top form orchestra! Of one man I'll give you but still he has groupies like a horse and a dog.

The dog doesn't look good. He looks like he's dying... Just sayin'.

I concur.

More importantly, are the dog's legs anatomically correct? Is it dying in a realistic way?

For Stefan:http://www.grammy.com/nominees Nr. 71 C Rautavaara : The Mine Opera

And about Williams' music, it is not necessarily THAT difficult, I'm sure R.Strauss' operas and tone poems are

more difficult(horn parts that I know) but these Williams' live concerts can be very heavy, for brass section at least.

For compare, try to play 1812 overture 13 times in a row, some mistakes might occur for sure...

For Stefan:http://www.grammy.com/nominees Nr. 71 C Rautavaara : The Mine Opera

And about Williams' music, it is not necessarily THAT difficult, I'm sure R.Strauss' operas and tone poems are

more difficult(horn parts that I know) but these Williams' live concerts can be very heavy, for brass section at least.

For compare, try to play 1812 overture 13 times in a row, some mistakes might occur for sure...

:lol: True. Brass players are always given special credit after or during the concert when Williams' music is involved. It happened in Lahti a few years back and that concert was all Williams and did contain his most popular and thus brassy pieces.

I went last night. I can provide a more detailed report about the full program later (I'm at work and I left my concert program at home, but the whole program was stellar), but for now I'll say that the Tintin piece was "The Adventure Continues", and the War Horse piece seemed to combine elements of both "Dartmoor, 1912" and "The Homecoming," with a slightly expanded flute solo. Also performed were "Adventures on Earth" from E.T., and then as an encore, "The Imperial March." All were performed well. Really great concert.

Hearing "The Adventure Continues" performed live must have been incredible

I would LOVE to hear that new War Horse arrangement live!!

Hearing "The Adventure Continues" performed live must have been incredible

I would LOVE to hear that new War Horse arrangement live!!

Count me in! ;)

Live or not live, i want to hear that new arrangement even if it means a low quality concert recording ;). Still, i'm confident he will play these in Tanglewood too and then we can record the higher quality concert radio stream

Interesting how Williams chose The Adventure Continues as the piece from Tintin. Could it be that this was originally the alternate swashbuckling main title version Conrad Pope mentioned in some interview or facebook a while back?

I highly doubt that. And I in fact don't find it that interested at all that he chose it, I think it was too be expected. The only concert arrangements we know of he wrote for Tintin are that one and Snowy's Theme, and Snowy's Theme would require someone extremely adept at piano playing to be performed live.

I highly doubt that. And I in fact don't find it that interesting at all that he chose it, I think it was too be expected. The only concert arrangements we know of he wrote for Tintin are that one and Snowy's Theme, and Snowy's Theme would require someone extremely adept at piano playing to be performed live.

Of course I was wishing for a true concert arrangement of Tintin's Theme. ;)