John Carter (Of Mars) directed by Andrew Stanton, music by Michael Giacchino

Jay

Indeed. The poster looks great with something that looks like quite an epic space adventure...

But everything else I've seen shows me a generic, immature little Disney flick...

And for those defending the film, just because the director worked in Pixar (unfortunately it looks like this beloved studio is going awry too...things just don't last do they? :() doesn't guarantee some great sci fi film

Pixar is the product of these guys and not the opposite.

"These guys" as in Disney? I've always thought Disney had very little to do with Pixar's success, but I don't know whats happening anymore...

And we all know that Disney live action films tend to be generic and laughable at times...

I-ve been told the whole film and it-s got Stanton-s fingerprints and constants all over it.

I'll judge the film when I get to see it. But with all the footage that is publicly available at the moment, this film just looks downright silly. Like obnoxiously so...

Pixar is the product of these guys and not the opposite.

"These guys" as in Disney? I've always thought Disney had very little to do with Pixar's success, but I don't know whats happening anymore...

And we all know that Disney live action films tend to be generic and laughable at times...

These guys as in Pixar.

I-ve been told the whole film and it-s got Stanton-s fingerprints and constants all over it.

I'll judge the film when I get to see it. But with all the footage that is publicly available at the moment, this film just looks downright silly. Like obnoxiously so...

I haven-t judged the film yet.

Parts of the footage do look silly. It-s part of the point. It-s a representation of a world some people thought existed and actually never did. It-s not supposed to make sense in the surface either to the audience or the main character.

Yeah, it brings fond memories of Attack of the Clones. Or at least the whole Geonosis section of that film. Visually at least.

Not sure if I want to give it a chance. I'll wait for some reviews.

Karol

This TV spot has been playing here.

The music and editing try to make this look bitching and bad ass, and despite the funny looking CGI creatures it almost works.

And then the films title comes up with the Disney logo on top.

A Disney film cannot be bad ass!

This TV spot has been playing here.

The music and editing try to make this look bitching and bad ass, and despite the funny looking CGI creatures it almost works.

ROTFLMAO

Hahaha! I forgot that you're quite the comedian Steef!

Looks pretty good, like a good old-fashioned American western...

My only complaint is the editing. Some of the cuts seemed really nasty. Anyone else noticed?

Damn, i shouldn't have watched that.

Because . . . .?

I didn't watch. I am hoping that Amazon comes through with that soundtrack soon.

The score has certainly been growing on me. It is definitely one of Giacchino's best.

For anyone that doesn't mind downloading mp3's via Amazon, they have this as a one day special for $3.99. I was wavering if I should get it but this was too good a deal to pass up.

The theme is a direct lift from Super 8, unfortunately. Kinda tarnished my first listen, but "John Carter Of Mars" is a great cue. Far from Giacchino's best, he's been going downhill for me for the past year and a half.

For anyone that doesn't mind downloading mp3's via Amazon, they have this as a one day special for $3.99. I was wavering if I should get it but this was too good a deal to pass up.

I'm downloading as I type this. For $4, you really can't beat that. A blind-buy, but $4 isn't much.

It's not even close to any of the themes in Super 8, Koray

I beg to differ (if not to the same degree).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B00re4Cw9ig

about 1:06 to 1:12, compare to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WS8OvB72rQ

about :33 to :39, pay attention to the lower strings

It's not a direct lift (well, it is... a really short direct lift, to be sure), but it jumped out at me the first time I heard John Carter.

Well be that as it may, it has not soured my listening experience. The score gets better and better as I get more familiar with it. :)

Oh, it doesn't bother me. Given the ridiculous amount of slack I cut Horner, moaning about Giacchino doing it is just plain silly. ;)

Oh, it doesn't bother me. Given the ridiculous amount of slack I cut Horner, moaning about Giacchino doing it is just plain silly. ;)

:lol:

Giacchino's action/adventure style is pretty loud and clear in this one. Even anyone who has heard his MOH scores might easily note similarities in John Carter.

But the new material is quite excellent.

Horner does need a lot of mercy from his fans doesn't he. :P

Uh, yeah it is. It's literally the first thing you hear when you start listening to the soundtrack.

I disagree. I'm listening to "A Thern for the Worse" as I speak -- no Super 8 temp-track to my ears.

Not even a little bit. I think the problem is that Koray isn't familiar enough with Super 8 because he only listened to it a few times and is mis-remembering what Super 8 sounds like.

Although I don't hear specific "Horner-like" moments in those two cues, there are many moments that are in the vein of Super 8, especially Dejah's theme.

But something far more noticeable to the ears is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgOZYv8kmSs

As I'm listening to this score right now, I understand what Koray is getting at. Giacchino takes many of the 3 note phrases that he uses in Super 8 for this score, and Dejah's theme is quite similar to his Super 8 material in a harmonic sense.

Main theme has a Horner vibe to it. Love theme from Krull or love theme from Gorky Park. Something down that avenue. It's a good thing actually.

Karol

You don't hear it? You're making me feel like I'm taking crazy pills, but then again this is the same board that thinks the Ark theme and the Skull theme are completely different too...

5-20 seconds of "A Thern For The Worse" and 20-35 seconds of "Super 8."

I'm a bit skeptical about that one, but Super 8 definitely makes some appearances in John Carter ;)

It does not sound overly similar. Both pieces are kind of....OK.

crocodile is right, the main theme reminds me of JENNY'S THEME of good 'ole ROCKETEER. Still, Giacchino's underscore has an perfunctory air and while it's loud and bombastic (and agreeably thematic), it still feels like nothing i'm willing to devote too much time to.

You don't hear it? You're making me feel like I'm taking crazy pills, but then again this is the same board that thinks the Ark theme and the Skull theme are completely different too...

5-20 seconds of "A Thern For The Worse" and 20-35 seconds of "Super 8."

No, sorry.

It's kind of similar, I guess. In a same way Marion's theme and Han/Leia theme are or every theme Horner does. Same composer, same mannerisms. That's all there is to learn from this.

Karol

Yes, I know I can't judge the film yet, but I just noticed the criticial response so far.

http://www.rottentom.../m/john_carter/

Its as I thought, the film seems to be what the promos made it out to be. An incredibly cheesy flick with none of the sense of wonder that was in Stanton's Pixar works (in other words, a crappy film). So much for the theory that the fact he directed PIxar films guaranteed a great film. I'll watch the film this weekend, but I have a strong feeling I'm going to reaffirm my belief that this would be a piece of crap for a film (and I expect its RT score to lower with its main release).

Yes, I know I can't judge the film yet, but I just noticed the criticial response so far.

http://www.rottentom.../m/john_carter/

Its as I thought, the film seems to be what the promos made it out to be. An incredibly cheesy flick with none of the sense of wonder that was in Stanton's Pixar works (in other words, a crappy film). So much for the theory that the fact he directed PIxar films guaranteed a great film. I'll watch the film this weekend, but I have a strong feeling I'm going to reaffirm my belief that this would be a piece of crap for a film (and I expect its RT score to lower with its main release).

The marketing is terrible and misleading and RT is a terrible way to judge a film, although I wouldn't see it if I were you as you seem to already have made your mind up.