Steven Spielberg: ‘John Williams makes me look good’

Ricard

"John is the most important collaborator I've ever had in my career. He makes me look good, he makes my films look better. I get a lot of credit that should be going to John. But I've kept the people who have been in my career who I feel are my family."

Full article and video at Digital Spy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spielberg has always sort of said this, but never as bluntly.

I'm loving his perpetual truth and honesty lately as I am loving my rekindled appreciation of his movies and loyalty to the man in general. Spielberg's a stand up guy, no doubt in my mind of that.

Nice find, Ricard. While I appreciate Spielberg's intentions, I think his statement could use some clarifying. Williams' scores contain both intellectual (/subliminal) and emotional techniques at the same time. The thematic connections and developments are done in a way that casual listeners won't recognize, at least not consciously. At the same time, Williams' style also has a lot for those that are just looking for an emotional ride.

I noticed that that too. When he said "his music skips the brain and goes straight to heart", I was wondering what exactly he meant by that. Yes Williams' music is emotional, but obviously he's composed very intellectual scores too. He's done combinations of both in various scores, like Tintin :D

"John is the most important collaborator I've ever had in my career. He makes me look good, he makes my films look better. I get a lot of credit that should be going to John. But I've kept the people who have been in my career who I feel are my family."

John Williams is the only good thing in about a third of his portfolio.