CONRACK Bluray coming from Twilight Time (with Williams isolated score)

filmmusic

Twilight Time posted on their facebook page that they're releasing CONRACK on March 10th.

Since almost all their releases have an isolated score track, I guess this will have one too.

(Remember this is a limited release of 3000 copies)

Conrack+..jpeg

That's nice. It's one of the films that took me the longest to locate untill I stumbled upon a copy (through sources) about a year and a half ago. It's a nice little flick, but there isn't much music in it beyond the main titles suite that was released on FSM.

As I said, I doubt the score fills out a CD. Beyond the 6-minute main titles cue that has alreaedy been released, there are some bits for transportation scenes, 'learning montages' etc. And a quasi-baroque piece for the Halloween sequence. And some classical music (not by Williams). It's a very sparse thing, and the FSM suite represents the whole of the score very well.

The remaining music missing shouldn't be more than some other six minutes. Then there is the Beethoven that is played as source music and in the end of the film.

From what I remember, back when the main title was released on the FSM release, no more music was located.

I did like the film, so I'm looking forward to watching it in BD.

Maybe there was a lot of unused music?

Speculate, Thor! We know ye love it :lol:

Williams stated on a number of times that Martin Ritt always required little musical accompaniment. Which always made me wonder that amount of music on "Stanley and Iris".

I would much rather like to see a release of their collaboration PETE'N'TILLIE -- which is totally unreleased (commercially). There's some nice music in it, slightly reminiscent of STANLEY AND IRIS.

Yes, it may very well be his shortest film score. Even the short films that he's done have had more music in them.

From what I recall of when I recorded the full score from a TV broadcast some 30+ years ago, there is much more music than in any of the shorts he's scored.

Yes, it may very well be his shortest film score. Even the short films that he's done have had more music in them.

From what I recall of when I recorded the full score from a TV broadcast some 30+ years ago, there is much more music than in any of the shorts he's scored.

maybe you counted the source music too?

I haven't done any count, but as noted above -- there is quite a bit of source music in it. If I were to guess, I would say there is about 15 minutes of score in it. That's less than any of his short films (which are pretty much wall-to-wall). But we'd have to drag up the movie from our vault again to get an exact count.

Williams stated on a number of times that Martin Ritt always required little musical accompaniment. Which always made me wonder that amount of music on "Stanley and Iris".

That's what did him in.

Well, I have to correct myself a bit. A TIMELESS CALL is obviously shorter, since it's only 7 minutes long. But THE UNFINISHED JOURNEY, THE KATHERINE REED STORY and YOU ARE WELCOME all have more music than the feature-length CONRACK.

Could this be Williams' shortest film score, then?

Yes, Giorgio is the shortest.

In a way, yes, although I wouldn't call a song (which Lewis then used in his music) as a score per se.

• 1 month later...

Cover for CONRACK:

1622178_726021100749892_1897239870_n.jpg

Special features:

Isolated Music & Effects Track / Audio Commentary with Film Historians Paul Seydor and Nick Redman / Original Theatrical Trailer

So, I was wondering if that means that we will have some more music than the one track in the FSM cd or not.

(eg. another TT Bluray I own - Nicholas and Alexandra - doesn't feature the complete isolated score. Some bits are missing, i guess due to lack of the original sources)

Well, there is a bit more music in the film than what's on the FSM CD, so presumably you'll get that.

Well, if they didn't have it for the FMS cd because the main titles is the only that survived, I'm not so optimistic about this Bluray.

• 3 weeks later...

Bear in mind that we're talking about a film with little sound effects... Those might end up not being an issue at all :)

Well, if they found only the main title music for the FSM cd, I doubt Twilight time found anything more..

The other couple of cues may be missing from the isolated score.

• 1 month later...

are the sfx intrusive?

Well, I wouldn't say that.

(after all it's not an action film)

Anyway, I finished watching the film.

It was quite good for a Sunday afternoon and I don't regret my purchase.

I will sure watch it again! And wow, i didn't know that Pat Conroy (the man for whom is the film about) is the author of Prince of Tides.

The Bluray has a very good transfer, but its only drawback is that it doesn't have English subtitles, and i couldn't catch 100% of the dialogue. sad.gif

are the sfx intrusive?

Well, I wouldn't say that.

(after all it's not an action film)

Anyway, I finished watching the film.

It was quite good for a Sunday afternoon and I don't regret my purchase.

I will sure watch it again! And wow, i didn't know that Pat Conroy (the man for whom is the film about) is the author of Prince of Tides.

The Bluray has a very good transfer, but its only drawback is that it doesn't have English subtitles, and i couldn't catch 100% of the dialogue. sad.gif

No, the local 'slang' is quite difficult to grasp. I had the same problem.

Having an isolated soundtrack that includes sound effects seems rather pointless to me. That's basically just the film's soundtrack without the dialogue. Strange.

It's not uncommon to find this sort of thing. Usually studios have this kind of track for the international market, so that when dubbing the dialogs, they still have all the original effects and music around.

And it's not pointless... having heard the iso track, it's great to have some more "Conrack" music :)

It wouldn't be pointless if it was just the music. Nor would it be pointless to have a separate sound effects track or dialogue track (for those who crave such things). But to combine the first two and avoid the third seems ridiculous, as it's neither here nor there.

That being said, I'm curious to hear if the isolated cues are 'ruined' by sound effects, or if they're separate enough to maybe combine the FSM track with them into a CONRACK album of sorts.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm not familiar with this one, neither the movie or the score.

What say my discography about it...

Oh just one track, on a CD I don't own... I see!

...and unfortunately... 5 years later.. still no CD yet!

p_fsmvol1_no2.jpg

p_fsmvol1_no2b.jpg

The Poseidon Adventure/The Paper Chase [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1972/1973) (1998, Film Score Monthly, FSMCD Vol. 1, No. 2)

THE PAPER CHASE: Love Theme from The Paper Chase; The Passing of Wisdom; Bach: "Little Fugue" in G minor; Be Irrational; Kevin's House (source); Hart in a Hurry; Thinking of Susan / Kingsfield's Study / The Empty Classroom; Kevin's Tutor (source); To the Hotel; Telemann: Concerto in D Major (Allegro); Real Identity / Into the Sea; CONRACK: Main Title; THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE: Main Title; Rogo and Linda; To Love (source); The Big Wave; Raising the Christmas Tree; Death's Door; Search for the Engine Room; The Barber Shop; Death of Belle; Hold Your Breath; The Red Wheel; End Title. Previously unreleased original scores.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this, don't want to create a separate thread. Is TT still doing releases? Seems they haven't announced anything for a while. If so, it's understandable.