Best of John Williams 4CD Box set

The Dark Trilogy

http://www.amazon.de/John-Williams-Best/dp/B00B2NH1HE/

Just want to inform you Sony France released a 4CD box for an best of album last year. There is a thread in FSM forum (http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=95936&forumID=1&archive=0), but nobody seems to care...

Well, I bought it, because it contains HPPS Hedwig's Theme and TOD End Credits Suite (film version) performed by The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of David Arnold. Keep in mind that David Arnold is not the film composer from ID4. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Arnold_%28conductor%29)

I found out the two tracks were formerly released on "Movie Classics - 50 Classic Movie Themes", also avaiable on Amazon. The box itself is not so spectacular; it contains all the music from 3CD Music of America, besides The Raider's March, Star Wars Main Theme and The Throne Room and the track order is different. Plus, it includes the complete Jaws Suite, Sabrina, Far and Away, Adventures on Earth + Flying, etc.

I know, they can be found on ealier Sony releases. Also, you get the Corellian Edition on disc 3... It is housed in a standard thick double box, with a folding inlet, where the tracklisting is on there.

Well, while it's good to have the film version of TOD, the performance of the recording didn't convince me. It sounds like it is a "copy" of the City of Prague recording. I know, it is not so, but the Royal Phliharmonic can do it better. The orchestra has wonderful recordings in terms of sound and performance but this... I don't know.

Here you can listen to the clips:

http://www.exlibris.ch/de/musik/cd/john-williams/john-williams-best-of/id/0887654771421

That RPO recording of the TOD End Credits is ruined by an extreme case of hard limiting. Implemented during the mastering process, hard limiting squashes the natural dynamic range of a recording. This especially irking with orchestral recordings.

Shame, really... because it's actually a decent performance.

The many City of the Prague CD re-recordings also utilize hard limiting. I don't understand why some producers/sound engineers decide to do this. So much effort is put forth to reconstruct and record these film scores... only to be presented on CD with a disgusting amount of artificial sound processing. Truly idiotic.

so it's another re-hash compilation

Isn't that Sony's forte these days when JW is concerned? The good old days when JW re-recorded his music and of others for Sony are over.

But it has a whole new packaging!

What a bunch of overtly whining entitled little fanboys you all are!

Well I am not losing anything for not having this set. It would be just nice if Sony would release something new from the Maestro instead of re-releasing the same stuff over and over again in different package.

I would be incredibly happy if there was say a new compilation with Williams conducting Boston Pops performing music from his Spielberg scores of the noughties.

The best of John Williams cannot be summed up on a mere 4 CD's!

It would be like judging a fine wine by having sampled the tiniest drop of condensation from the bottle.

Sony Classical must do better then such meager offerings.

A 15 disc introduction would be the first step.

Spoken like a die hard fanboy.

Every artist can be summarized into a single disc greatest hits album. This is how people discover new artists: the sampler album. If they like that, then they can seek other albums to buy and expand their collection. It's not economic to sell fifteen disc greatest hits albums. This four disc set is for intermediate fans.

Every artist can be summarized into a single disc greatest hits album. This is how people discover new artists: the sampler album. If they like that, then they can seek other albums to buy and expand their collection. It's not economic to sell fifteen disc greatest hits albums. This four disc set is for intermediate fans.

It is a drop of water, on a hot tin roof, in the middle of the fucking desert!

The thing I wish is that they would include more breadth in these kinds of compilations. It's always the chestnuts and theme-based or action cues, which, while we couldn't do with at least some of them, they don't really give an accurate picture of Williams' astounding compositional range. More underscore cues like "The Emperor Confronts Luke" from ROTJ or "You Bred Raptors" from JP have bone-chilling effects that aren't a part of his norm for the more celebrated cues.

Obviously, they do this because the chestnuts and themes sell better. But there's great music in the underscore too!

It is a drop of water, on a hot tin roof, in the middle of the fucking desert!

Not everybody wants to fill their iPod with a full glass of John Williams they'll never listen to. They have Star Wars and The Imperial March and Harry Potter and Raiders and ET and Back to the Future and a Zelda, and that's all they really need. Those who pass the GH test can go download or buy the rest.

But please, make it your life's quest to sell everyone on these fifteen disc anthologies. Even the egregious Spartacus box was less than half that. You still need a job, right?

Well, I'd like a freshly recorded compilation of recent concert versions that have never been released on c.d. properly

All we've been getting in the past 10 years is re-packaged stuff

More underscore cues like "The Emperor Confronts Luke" from ROTJ or "You Bred Raptors" from JP have bone-chilling effects that aren't a part of his norm for the more celebrated cues.

Well, you have to consider the listening experience as well, most of the tracks included are concert pieces and arrangements.

Most people are not looking for "boring", "filler" underscore music.

BTW the one review on the Amazon.de site is hilarious.

More underscore cues like "The Emperor Confronts Luke" from ROTJ or "You Bred Raptors" from JP have bone-chilling effects that aren't a part of his norm for the more celebrated cues.

Well, you have to consider the listening experience as well, most of the tracks included are concert pieces and arrangements.

Most people are not looking for "boring", "filler" underscore music.

Well, obviously they think so. But I would challenge the idea that most people wouldn't want to hear something like the two cues I suggested, the first of which contains statements of both the Imperial March and Emperor's Theme, and the second of which is short enough to be a nice contrast to the concert arrangements.

I think Williams would insist on atleast slightly concertizing those cues, if he ever included them in a concert, and he would prefer those to be put into compilations

The best of John Williams cannot be summed up on a mere 4 CD's!

A 15 disc introduction would be the first step.

Only Morricone has a large enough body of work to warrant that; and he has a 15-disc set. 1 cue from each film!