Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

Jay

Hello gang!

So for a while now we've had a thread for Indiana Jones music where many members made mockups based off the sheet music for music written that wasn't on the Concord box set - or even in the films themselves. We ever had one member, airmanjerm, make two recordings himself of music from the movie. It was a great thread, but it kind of died down when the hype surrounding the box set did, as well as when simply most of the unreleased music had come out.

Since that time, sheet music for many, many other scores has trickled its way down, and I get sent more and more mockups all the time. So I wanted to create a thread where members could post their mockups here directly, where everyone can enjoy them as well as comment on them, share constructive criticism, etc.

I just have 3 basic rules:

1. Please upload your own work only! Don't upload other people's stuff unless you have their explicit permission.

2. Make sure your upload ONLY contains your mock-up/recording - don't upload a file that contains copyrighted material (ie, music from an OST or a DVD/video game rip) mixed with your mockup, or it will be deleted. The PM system can be used to share those versions.

3. Please use multiupload to upload your file. This not only creates a "direct download" link that doesn't require a 45 second (or more!) wait, but it dupes the upload to 6 other sites so the links will be around for a while.

http://www.multiupload.com/

Without further ado, let me be the first to contribute. Note I didn't make these myself, but do have permission to post them:

John Williams - Attack of the Clones

2m2 Palpatine's Plotting - section removed from the final film:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/s7daeh

7m3 Finale - original section replaced by 7m3 Insert

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w2kav7

EDIT: Here is a list of request mockups, grouped by priority:

Priority 1 - Likely never even recorded, or recorded but isn't in the film or on CD/boots/video games

1975 - Jaws

1m6s Typewriter Chord

1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom

1m7/2m1 Through Chinatown [bars 52-55]

2m3b Snowbank Sweetener

5m1 Entrance Of The Boy King

5m2b Exchange Of Glances

9m2 Willy In The Fryer [this one is partially used in film, but is mostly missing]

1989 - Indiana Jones and the The Last Crusade

7m2 Insert #2

11m4/12m1 The Canyon Of The Crescent Moon [first minute of the cue only, the rest is in the film and on CD]

10m1 Insert 2

10m1 Insert 3

10m1 Insert A

1991 - Hook

13m2 To War!! [original bar 37ish section only]

15m2 The End Of Hook [bars 27-40]

1993 - Jurassic Park

9m2 The T-Rex Chase [sections from beginning and end missing from film]

12m2 Hungry Raptor [sections from beginning and end missing from film]

1997 - The Lost World

6M2-7M1 Pt I Up in a Basket [section missing from film only]

6M2-7M1 Pt II Up in a Basket

10M1 Rialto Ripples [sections missing from film only]

11M3-12M1 High Bar and Ceiling Tiles [sections missing from film only]

12M3 Ludlow's Speech [ending only]

12M5 Monster on the Loose [section missing in film only]

14M2 The Saving Dart [ending only]

2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

2m4 Insert Diagon Alley Reveal

Quidditch and the Great Gryffindor Victory

2002 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

1m1 Prologue: Book II [sections that weren't revised only]

2004 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner Of Azkaban

02 1M3A That's a Lie

03 1M4X Aunt Marge Points the Finger

10 1M9B Second Collision [ending only]

14 2M3 The Train to Hogwarts Version II

24 3MC Befriending the Hippogriff [last third of the cue]

30 3M7A Clown Out of the Cupboard [beginning only]

29 3M7X New Beginning

32 3M10 Remembering Mother

36 3ME The Great Hall Ceiling [ending only]

39 4M2 Quidditch 2004 [ending only]

40 4M2XV Choral Overlay

41 4M3+4 Enter Winter [first half]

42 4M3+4 New Woods Walk and Birds Flight [first half]

43 4M5 Map to Snow Scene

45 4M10 Brief Snow Scene [section at end]

48 4M14 Dueling the Dementor

49 4M14 Insert for Patronus Light

50 5M1 Buckbeak's Sentence [section at end]

51 5M2 Reading the Map [section near beginning]

52 5M2A Reveal Your Secret54 5M5 The Crystal Ball [section]

61 6M2 The Confrontation Scene [sections removed from film]

62 6M4 Sirius and Harry [last two thirds]

66 6M5AN First Frozen Lake

69 7M1A Saving Buckbeak [ending only]

72 7M2A String Overlay

73 7M3 Buckbeak Saves the Day [opening only]

78 7M7 Ext Whomping Willow

80 7M9 Lupin's Departure [opening only]

81 7M11 A New Broomstick

2005 - Revenge Of The Sith

1m4A "Get 'Em R-2!" [bars cut from film only]

4m6 I Am The Senate [ending only]

Revenge Of The Sith (DVD Version) [original opening only]

2005 - Memoirs Of A Geisha

Somebody other than me will have to figure out this one!

Priority 2 - Only available recording is in the film itself, probably covered by sound effects

1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom

2m2a Bar 34 Insert

2m2b Bar 76 Insert

2m4 The Indian Village

3m1 The Old Priest's Tale

3m2 The Child Returns

3m2a Alternate Beginning

5m1x The Emperor's Entrance

5m2a The First Supper

7m2 More Sacrifice

7m1a Sacrifice Sweetener

7m1d Percussion Sweetener - One

7m2d Percussion Sweetener - Two

7m3d Percussion Sweetener - Three

7m4/8m1 Insert

8m2 Moloram's Speech

8m3 The Evil Potion

9m1x Sacrifice Continued

11m1 Insert

1m4-2m1x Sweetener

5m3 Intro

9m2 Final Ending

10m1 Insert 2

10m3-11m1 Insert 1

10m3-11m1 Insert 2

1991 - Hook

13m2 Insert Bar 37

13m3 Insert

1993 - Jurassic Park

1m1 Incident at Isla Nublar [final note only]

1m2 The Encased Mosquito

2m1 The Entrance of Mr. Hammond

3m3 Cartoon Demonstration

4m2 You Bred Raptors

5m1 The History Lesson

6m3 The Coming Storm

8m1 The Trouble with Dennis

9m2 The T-Rex Chase

11m1

12m2 Hungry Raptor

1997 - The Lost World

4M1 Fire at Camp

4M2 Corporate Choppers

5M2 Big Feet

5M3-6M1 Spilling Petrol

5M3-6M1 Pt II Horning In

6M2-7M1 Pt I Up in a Basket

7M2-8M1 Pain of Glass

8M2 Truck Stop [section dialed out of OST only]

8M3 Reading the Map

10M1 Rialto Ripples

11M3-12M1 High Bar and Ceiling Tiles

12M3 Ludlow's Speech

12M5 Monster on the Loose

Priority 3 - The recording has appeared on bootlegs

2m3-3m1 Sinister Visitors

3m2a The Holy Grail

4m2 Beneath The Floors

6m2 Discussing The Book

6m2x New Ending

6m3

6m4 Market Source

8m2 Koeniggraetzer March

9m2 New Ending

10m1 Insert 1

10m1 Fix for Bar 65

12m2 The Penitent Man Will Pass

1991 - Hook

4M5-5M1 Revised Ending

9M4 Insert

13M1 Tink Grows Up

15m2 The End Of Hook

OK well I've posted it before in the Indiana Jones thread, but I'll post it here again for posterity. :)

Here's a recording of our band playing the "Anything Goes Playoff" from Temple of Doom. This was a read-down and not a performance...the concert was just this past Friday night though, so I'll soon have a recording I can post of the entire "Anything Goes" followed by this playoff. This may actually be better though since the live recording contains some applause from the audience (which is how that music was intended, sort of).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6FYGI930

God that was like a thousand years ago! I feel like that was done actually IN 1934! lol

Here ya go:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZF2X2AV3

While I'm at it, here's a performance we did of four different arrangements I did of JW vocal charts: Anything Goes, Big Beautiful Ball, Nice to Be Around, and If We Were In Love. Please note: our girl singer was horrible (and no longer in our group because of it), and although our guy singer is awesome in many ways...opera ain't it. But, they are nice performances by the band. There, I've said it...pre-excuses given! [And I'll have a better recording of our performance of "Anything Goes" from just this past Friday night soon and post it instead of this crappy one.]

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TIAMH8T3

That sounds great Jack! I thought I was listening to a real orchestra!

As for requests, how about bars 27-40 from "The End Of Hook"?

I agree, its an awesome little section. Sounding real good. I wonder what Joe thinks of the drums now :)

Jack,

That does sound great. Any chance you can do the rest of the mock-up for "Get 'Em, R2?" I'd love to have the whole thing with your mock-up style.

Thanks. It's a slow process, but I'm working my way through the whole unreleased section of the cue. :)

Thanks. It's a slow process, but I'm working my way through the whole unreleased section of the cue. :)

Cool, looking forward to it. :)

I wonder how the "war drums" will sound in synth form like this.

Wow, another different cool rendition of the force theme in the Palpatine's Plotting mockup. Where would it have appeared in the film?

In the cue itself where it shows the outside part of Padmé's apartment, after Palpatine tells Anakin he's sees him becoming the greatest Jedi. It would have gone where they tracked music from "Obi-Wan Eavesdropping" and "Arrival At Tatooine".

In the film when the 3 Jedi are conversing in the huge hall, they looped the music that plays just before this mockup, then fade out instead of letting what's in the mockup play. Then there was tracked music from4m5 and 4m4 that plays in the film instead of this mockup. Around Jar jar's line about "muy humility" the original cue comes back; That part should overlap with the last note of the mockup.

All this damned tracking, i guess Ben Burtt really hates JW

It would be so cool to get seperate music audio tracks on the blue ray. Then we would be able to insert all the music JW intended (create a new music audio track)

I re-recorded quite a few unreleased cues from the Roger Moore Bond films, namely Octopussy and Moonraker.

I want to present them to you here:

Moonraker:

Gunbarrel/Hijack:

Enter The Centrifuge:

Venini Glass Works:

Gondola Chase:

Paragliding:

Drax Shuttle Launch:

"Here Is To Us":

Octopussy:

Gunbarrel/A Load Of Bull:

Acrostar:

Russian Art Depository/The Auction:

What did you use to make these recordings?

Sibelius 2, Gigastudio, VSL Woodwinds, East West Ultimate Strings, SAM Brass, SAM True Strike, some concert harp samples, and clean DVD rips when possible.

I'm at work so can't really listen to everything right now, but the brief bits I heard sounded great! have you done any Williams stuff in this manner?

Not really.

I'm a bit intimidated by it ;)

Because, no offense to the late Mr. Barry, Williams' work is a *bit* more complex.

And I have not much clue about Williams' way of writing and orchestrating.

Not really.

I'm a bit intimidated by it ;)

Because, no offense to the late Mr. Barry, Williams' work is a *bit* more complex.

And I have not much clue about Williams' way of writing and orchestrating.

Hate to sound like a drug pusher, but you can always contact me if you want any scores.

But yes, Barry's music like Herrmann's is much simpler - more homophonic and vertical that Williams and Goldsmith, whereas they tend to be polyphonic, heterophonic and linear. Meaning, usually there's a lot going on at once. Lots of voices interacting.

To an extent, you can get away with transcribing Barry's scores by ear, and even then, you've already done a better job than Nic Raine. He couldn't even get this far.

But for Williams, you'll need the original manuscripts.

Ah very nice. :) When you're done with your mock-up for this, are you going to post it in wav format?

Yep!

Sounds continually excellenter and excellenter, Jack! Very nicely done, particularly on the big tutti chords.

I'm still nitpicking about the field drums, though. The rest is so perfect that I had to find something to complain about! ;) This is what you want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ_G0oLB9GU

What you've currently got sounds closer to...like...an antique snare drum with snares that are too loose.

What a pro! Thanks for the feedback, and the compliments. :) I figure if I'm going to do these mockups, I might as well get them as perfect / realistic as I can possibly, reasonably manage.

I'll experiment more with the field drums tomorrow. Should be able to get the whole unfinished section finished by tomorrow evening.

It's been really great to be able to look into WIlliams' scores in really fine detail. There's always some beautiful details in there that you don't necessarily always 'get' unless you've seen it written down. The thing that amazes me about this cue is the rhythmic writing. Williams clearly isn't just a master of melody/harmony. The rhythmic counterpoint going on here is detailed and complex, and yet, completely 'natural' and very musical. In terms of musical sensibility, the whole thing really says something, that is accurate and fitting within the context it was written for. Not just timbrally, or in any obvious way, but also in terms of the musical flow and writing for all the parts. He's created a bombastic, militaristic and challenging march for the percussion; forceful, bold and rhythmically exciting figures for the brass; rapid movement and repetition in the strings; and his trademark modally mind-boggling runs in the winds. When you put them all together, it creates this piece of music that just makes sense. It speaks so clearly. It has a kinetic energy that is so perfect for the scene, and that translates to the concert hall very well. He 'gets' the energy of what he's writing for unlike any other composer out there, really. The crazy thing is that Williams probably writes this stuff with his eyes closed, whereas I don't think Zimmer has ever produced anything so musical and thoughtful.

Actually, this cue reminds me a bit of the percussive brashness of The Battle of Hoth, but with a more 'fun', less perilous, 'pushing forward' / 'Jedis FTW' sort of feel. :P

Very nice analysis of Williams' work. I get the same feeling every time I study one of his scores, particularly for action music like this. (Not that it's always my favorite part of his work, but it's certainly the most technically impressive.) It's...indescribable the way he combines these disparate elements into a whole that fits the energy of the film like a glove while still being profoundly interesting in and of itself, even in comparatively "auto-pilot"-y passages like this one. I don't know how his brain can process - can generate - so many different contrapuntal elements like that.

EDIT: By the way, just for clarification, that video is not mine. :P

OK guys well we had our concert on Friday, which included me getting to conduct "Anything Goes" (including the Playoff). I was (and still am) fighting off what can only be described as Martian Death Flu, but as they say, the show must go on. In the end, the band played fairly well without too many split brass notes or similar mistakes, which is nice. It's funny how different the balance is in this music when played live versus being able to bring each instrumentalist up or down in a recorded mix. If anyone is interested, I can upload just the recording as a download link.

That is just fantastic! :D Congrats to all of you for a thoroughly enjoyable and professional performance, despite any regrettable cases of the dreaded Martian Death Flu.

airmanjerm - that is amazing! What an unbelievable performance - I thought the previous version was already very good; this one is even miles better. Great arrangement as well needless to say.

Of course you need to upload the recording! (In lossless if possible?)

There was only one minus: the bloody audience was clapping during the play-off!

:D

Jeremy that was great!

Too bad the vocals were somewhat hard to make out in the recording. But the orchestra sounded great!

THanks guys! Yes fommes I created a lossless file, but it's already an MP3 file so it's not as nice as a produced recording. But hey, here's the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0NQYQHDE

Yes the audience was applauding during the playoff, but honestly that's the point of a playoff. It's a very old-school Vaudeville type of "tune" that got people back on stage for a quick bow and even quicker exit. This one was written quite well...they have to have lots of energy and make it clear to the audience that they are supposed to clap there.

"Too bad the vocals were somewhat hard to make out in the recording. "

Bad? :lol: Ok just a little kidding there, but in my opinion the interest in this chart lies in the arrangement, not the vocal. And we're a band, not an orchestra - we don't have strings (except one string bass player whose amp wasn't turned on, apparently). All those string runs have to be incorporated into the rest of the group, so the clarinets, saxes, and bassoons get a lot of extra overtime in there! :)

Thanks very much for the upload!

but in my opinion the interest in this chart lies in the arrangement, not the vocal

Agreed!

Are you planning on another recording in the practice room of both or one of the pieces? Of course, your first take on the play-off was already so good, so there's really no need (even though the second was even better! :)).

We're taking this on tour next week to the Las Vegas area (that is, if the government doesn't shut down, ha!). We'll definitely run it at least once or twice between now and then...now that we can actually play it better than that first read-through, I'll see if I can get a good/better recording for you. Our main rehearsal hall is set up to record, although it's not really set up to record in super-amazing quality. It'll sound fine, but about like that first run-through recording I posted.

That'd be terrific! I thought regarding sound quality that first recording was already amazing, really. We're filmmusic fans - the only unreleased music we hear (apart from bootlegs) consist of synth mock-ups! Based on your contributions here, you're probably the most important member in the history of JWFan ;)

That'd be terrific! I thought regarding sound quality that first recording was already amazing, really. We're filmmusic fans - the only unreleased music we hear (apart from bootlegs) consist of synth mock-ups! Based on your contributions here, you're probably the most important member in the history of JWFan ;)

No way man! I'd put that as the people who manage this crap! haha just kidding there. I wouldn't have done that though if one of the people on here hadn't sent me some source items a while back. There it is: the circle of life. :woop:

<cue Hans Zimmer score>

I'm at work so can't really listen to everything right now, but the brief bits I heard sounded great! have you done any Williams stuff in this manner?

Well, do you have anything particular in mind?

If I could get my hands on some score sheets, then I would probably do it. Otherwise ... it's just nerve-wracking.

So, legally speaking. What is the difference to posting a synth/sample mock-up in this thread and a bootleg recording of a concert?

Based on your contributions here, you're probably the most important member in the history of JWFan ;)

With all due respect to Airman, I would give that position to Ricard L. Befan, before even considering anyone else.

I have lived happily without those cues for almost 34 years. However I could not have imagined the last decade without this place.

Ricard L. Befan is the best thing that has ever happened to John Williams fandom, and i will have words with whoever says otherwise!

So, legally speaking. What is the difference to posting a synth/sample mock-up in this thread and a bootleg recording of a concert?

Based on your contributions here, you're probably the most important member in the history of JWFan ;)

With all due respect to Airman, I would give that position to Ricard L. Befan, before even considering anyone else.

First, I'm completely with you about Ricard Befan, and wouldn't even consider myself the most important person in this thread, let alone the board! But I certainly appreciate the thought fommes! :)

Also Stefan, I don't want to get into it too hip deep and run this thread way off course, but I'll mention the "legally speaking" question. My answer pertains only to myself, and I can't speak for anything/anybody else. But, I've been expecting this to pop up here one day.

We are a government-sponsored organization, being a part of the Department of Defense. Everything we do is not-for-profit, including all concerts and CDs we produce. (iTunes sells our recordings, but they claim the money is for the "download service," not the music. But, I digress.)

I'll have to look up the exact numbers, but there's a few stipulations in U.S. Copyright Law that allows "fair use" of copyrighted materials by the government as long as it doesn't interfere with the royalties and other income generated for the copyright holder (in this case, John Williams and BMI). In essence, because the Government is the entity that issued that copyright and maintains it, then we as a government entity aren't violating laws of fair use. They would have to prove that our free concert caused John Williams to lose money, and I doubt that's possible.

Further, since we are a non-profit organization that exists to help support community relations between the government and the public, we're not making any actual money off of those performances. Sure, I'm getting my standard paycheck, but I didn't earn anything extra by writing that one.

Finally - and people find this out the hard way sometimes - it's extremely expensive to sue the government. Not that it can't be done, but if you're willing to spend the money on that type of endeavour then you better have a really good reason and be willing to pay big bucks to do it. You better also be suing for a LOT of money, because you'll need it to justify the amount you'll spend up front for a team of attorneys.

I'll also say that we do give composers and publishers their due: we purchase nearly everything we perform (the exception is special arrangements that meet a specific mission need, which is my job), we don't photocopy music and provide it to the public (local high school/college bands, etc.), and we must pay for mechanical licensing rights to record works. John Williams' music is extremely easy to license for recordings, but the rights to arrange/transcribe his music and record it lies solely with Paul Lavender himself, who isn't the nicest guy in the world about it. He'll deny you the right to arrange in order to steer you over to the large collection of his own adaptations, which naturally puts money into his own pocket. (He told me this himself.) If he was nicer then you'd all be lining up to get copies of our upcoming CD because it would have had a suite of 5 selections from the Indiana Jones series, dedicated to the guys at JWfan.com. (really!) But, they wouldn't allow us to do that, so instead we recorded the published version of "Escapades from 'Catch Me if You Can.'" (Chosen partially because it wasn't a Paul Lavender chart, lol.) But yes, in this way we are bound to copyright law. I could arrange those tunes and have them performed, we just couldn't record them. (TMI anyone???)

OK that's WAY more than you probably wanted to know, but just wanted to be sure to point out that our performances are copyright-free and public domain.