Howard Shore - Ask Me Anything (Reddit AMA 12/9/14)

Lewya

You mean that`s not the truth? Yeah. Because he obviously can`t say the truth...

I mean that that was Doug talking!

I'd like to know if you take trainees?

[–]djembe300 1 point

15 minutes ago

Maestro, Do you have a full collection of all your music on cd?? Thank you, Paul C

[–]Howard_Shore[S] 1 point

8 minutes ago

Yes.

Would you ever consider composing with full make up on and costume with your entire orchestra?

IE: Army of Orcs or Elves.

[–]Howard_Shore[S] 3 points

12 minutes ago

Um... I don't think so?

[–]TheRobertissimo 1 point

4 minutes ago

Are you shore?

That was Doug?! wait....Doug is answering these?!

Only the questions he thinks Shore shouldn't answer!

Would you ever consider composing with full make up on and costume with your entire orchestra?

IE: Army of Orcs or Elves.

[–]Howard_Shore[S] 3 points

12 minutes ago

Um... I don't think so?

[–]TheRobertissimo 1 point

4 minutes ago

Are you shore?

OK at least this guy has a sense of humor

Finally something good!

[–]CatapaulonitDude 1 point

a minute ago

You should do Zelda music. If offered, would you?

Who let BB ask questions? :stick:

[–]CerebralCortexan[] 0 points

11 minutes ago

Is there any truth to the rumours that you were physically ejected from Wellington Town Hall and had your baton torn from your grasp by Sir Conrad of Pope when you refused to do reprise the Revelation of the Ringwraiths for Thorin vs Azog II in BOTFA?

a minute ago

No truth to it. Hahah!

BAAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

Hahaha! Can't believe he acknowledged that!

11 minutes ago

Is there any truth to the rumours that you were physically ejected from Wellington Town Hall and had your baton torn from your grasp by Sir Conrad of Pope when you refused to do reprise the Revelation of the Ringwraiths for Thorin vs Azog II in BOTFA?

a minute ago

No truth to it. Hahah!

BAAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

ROTFLMAO

This is signature worthy.

Genius from Howard. Made my day. Though I just realized there's a couple of typos in the question. Oh well.

Reckon he'd acknowledge this? "Did you have a cameo in these Hobbit films? I think I might have spotted you as one of the bad guys about to attack Thorin at Bree"

Well there was that. Some rather revealing things were determined today!

[–]bccapes 2 points

22 minutes ago

Hi Howard! The first few notes of the Fellowship theme (as Gandalf rides into Hobbiton) sounds strikingly similar to the hymn "This is My Father's World". Did you draw upon this as inspiration? What else?

[–]Howard_Shore[S] 2 points

14 minutes ago

No.

:lol: Loving the blunt response.

Well finally, after all of these years, our questions about the AUJ mysteries are answered. ;)

All this for this... We're back to square one, as far as I'm concerned... Not that I expected him to provide us with satisfying answers regarding that, anyway. It's not like he could say something like "PJ made me do that... He didn't want to reuse that theme, he wanted to use that one..."

Well I don`t think MM mystery is too complex. They just didn`t want to use that past the first film.

I`m guessing it would have been more a `quest theme`` that underscored film 1, in the 2-film adaptation. Then once it became a trilogy, it just got the boot.

Well finally, after all of these years, our questions about the AUJ mysteries are answered. ;)

All this for this... We're back to square one, as far as I'm concerned... Not that I expected him to provide us with satisfying answers regarding that, anyway. It's not like he could say something like "PJ made me do that... He didn't want to reuse that theme, he wanted to use that one..."

But at least, we know that he has acknowledged it, and however 'false' his answers were we know that there really is no great mystery behind it. At least nothing that we can't guess.

11 minutes ago

a minute ago

No truth to it. Hahah!

Holy cow. Wasn't expecting that.

I found it all amusing.

And in the lot, there were definitely interesting answers about his personal preferences and his background.

LOL

I asked that question twice! If he found inspiration in the Eastern European avant-garde movement, and how that inspired him to develop the sound in The Cell...instead, the question about the pizza got answered :(

Keep in mind, Shore probably doesn't keep track of all of his album presentations, not to the degree we do ;)

That's not the point. I could understand such an answer for DoS or BOTFA, but for AUJ, he wrote and recorded music in the same wild and uncontrolled way as on LotR up until the last second of post-production. How can you record hours of music, even produce your own album, and then claim that release is "very complete"? It doesn't even have the film versions that are actual rescores and not tracked.

Yea, there's something like 55 minutes of unreleased AUJ music in existence. And he was the one at the podium conducting it all for AUJ. Weird answer.

The CD release of An Unexpected Journey is very complete, I think.

What the fuck?

Hmmm. He really doesn't go back to check on his previous work. Perhaps the questions about CRs will prompt that now! I want my Gandalf's secondary theme statements on disc! And Eagle Rescue!

I just assume these questions did not unearth any other gems yet unmentioned here. Not a whole lot of new info except Howard's succint answer to the Nazgûl theme dilemma and that he likes olives and green peppers on his pizza.