John Williams Film Night at Symphony Hall, Boston MA June 1-2 2012

Foxfan

Just bought my tickets which went on sale today.

No program details listed yet but we can almost be sure the concert will feature the world premiere of "War Horse".

I've just checked the Boston Pops website because they'd announced their next season's dates. I went to May on the calendar and looked at the dates around the end of the month..... and none of the events were Williams. In fact, he's not listed anywhere in the month, and the calendar shows a lot of May already has Pops performances planned already.

What's going on??

I've just checked the Boston Pops website because they'd announced their next season's dates. I went to May on the calendar and looked at the dates around the end of the month..... and none of the events were Williams. In fact, he's not listed anywhere in the month, and the calendar shows a lot of May already has Pops performances planned already.

What's going on??

This was posted on this site's main page on Tuesday, December 6th:

Williams Concerts in Boston: June 1 & 2, 2012

“Join Boston Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams as he celebrates decades of unforgettable music-making. His contributions to orchestral cinematic music are unsurpassed, and these concerts will showcase many of his favorite blockbuster film scores over the years including Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, and many more.” –Friday, June 1Saturday, June 2, and a special fundraising event on May 31. Tickets go on sale Wednesday, December 7 at 10 AM (EST).

UPCOMING CONCERTS

BOSTON

May 31, 2012

'Presidents at Pops’

(Fundraising event)

BOSTON

June 1, 2012

'Film Night’

BOSTON

June 2, 2012

'Film Night’

• 2 weeks later...

I may plan a new trip to the States to attend one of those concerts. It would be my first time in Boston, and my second Willams' concert after that in NYC last October. The Symphony Hall seems to be a great venue indeed. I'm still wondering if I should go for a 1st or a 2nd balcony seat. For those who might be confused as I was for a while looking at the seating chart that is presented on the official website, 1st balcony seats ARE those closer to the stage. Seating on the side, preferably in the first row, seems like a great choice to me.

I may plan will certainly make a new trip to the States. I decided to take the plunge today and ordered my ticket for the 1st June performance!

Forgot to post that I got my tickets! We are on the floor this time as all the good Balcony seats were taken. Going to the Saturday show.

Yea, if you use the search function of this forum, we have a thread for each year's concert and the set list is always posted.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if there are any tickets still available for these concerts? I contacted BSO a few weeks back and they said both concerts were fully sold out. To me this seems strange as tickets were available for the New York concert up until about a week before. I have been considering other concerts like the Hollywood bowl later in the year but I doubt it is anything like listening to anything in a concert hall. Also, I don't want to spend thousands traveling to see this and it being a bit of a let down as far as the program goes... although I'm guessing there will be a few "hits" performed!

Find it a bit odd really how JW seems to have all this popularity in Boston but not as much in New York? Or maybe this is because it is 80th birthday....

I will be at the Saturday, June 2nd show with my girlfriend.

This will be my first John Williams concert, I can't wait.

And honestly, I'm more excited to hear the War Horse renditions than anything!

One of my many hopes is that he plays Scherzo for Motorcycle!

I will be at the Saturday, June 2nd show with my girlfriend.

This will be my first John Williams concert, I can't wait.

And honestly, I'm more excited to hear the War Horse renditions than anything!

One of my many hopes is that he plays Scherzo for Motorcycle!

That is a fantastic piece. I wonder why JW doesn't play more of those kind of pieces more often in these concerts. Quidditch 3rd year would be a good example although it works best accompanying the picture, I think it can stand on it's own feet.

According to the BSO they've got the narrator from "The Reivers" (Alan K. Simpson) so it's almost a certainty that he's playing that arrangement again. It was performed last year at Tanglewood with Morgan Freeman).

Hoping for more details and quite surprised that they're already sold out. Good thing I got my tix the day they went on sale.

If anyone has a ticket to either concert, preferably orchestra seating, this gentleman will pay very good money.

I'd hook you up if I had one, I really would.

What's the attire at this thing generally? I don't want to be under-dressed to see JW!

Some people wear ties for sure, so if you feel like it - go for it!

Try to get him to sign whatever has the most meaning to you :)

Anyone know a good second hand source to get tickets for either Fri. or Sat. night's shows? I didn't move quick enough as I didn't know if I would be in town and now my gf and I are without tix! Any insight anyone could offer would be great.

Already checked StubHub and the likes to no avail.

• 2 weeks later...

bso.org posted some details about the program:

The orchestra welcomes Boston Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams to the podium, June 1 and 2, for Film Night, a favorite program for Symphony Hall audiences each year. Mr. Williams, the highly acclaimed composer and conductor behind blockbuster films such as Jaws, Star Wars, and Harry Potter, celebrates his 80th birthday in 2012. Including a performance of music from Mr. Williams's score of The Reivers, with narration by former Senator Alan K. Simpson, these programs will showcase some of the most memorable music of all time, and film footage will be featured alongside many of the Hollywood scores. Mr. Williams will lead a salute to the Hollywood westerns including music from How the West Was Won, Dances with Wolves, and The Cowboys. The performance will feature music from the composer's new Academy Award-nominated scores to the films War Horse and The Adventures of Tintin. Mr. Williams will also lead his recently composed Fanfare for Fenway, a tribute to Fenway Park's 100th Anniversary, and a special video tribute to women Olympians will be set to the maestro's Olympic Spirit.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to attending this concert too! Actually, I'm on my way to the airport as I'm typing this very message. Flying to Boston for some amazing vacation. I hope so at least!

I could make a day trip if people want to get together

Are you going to the concert?

I am free all afternoon to meet up with people before the concert!

Who else is going this year? ET & Elliot? Trent Hoyt?

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best way to get a JW autograph this weekend. I have a ticket for tomorrow night, and I am in town all weekend (starting now). I am going to devote most of the weekend to this endeavor, but any advice to make it easier would be great. Thanks to anyone who can help me. Please pm me.

After the concert, simply go outside and join the line of people waiting by the exit on the north side of the building. That's where Williams comes out, and he signs as much as he can until he has to get in his car and leave.

You could even go there tonight, even though you don't have a ticket for tonight's show, and try to get something signed both nights.

After the concert, simply go outside and join the line of people waiting by the exit on the north side of the building. That's where Williams comes out, and he signs as much as he can until he has to get in his car and leave.

You could even go there tonight, even though you don't have a ticket for tonight's show, and try to get something signed both nights.

sounds like a plan

So, I'm going to definitely nix going to the concert. Jason, are we meeting before 6pm? I'm assuming I need to be going to the train at that point....