What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Guess I'd be a party-pooper if I mentioned that I thought Batman And Robin was a horrible 2-hour DayGlo toy commercial which George Clooney is STILL apologising for in interviews. So I won't :P .

TND is Bond as pared-to-the-bone action flick ... the fact that Spottiswoode is an editor as well as a director is very evident. Used to be my favourite Brosnan Bond, but I think Goldeneye pips it ... ultimately, the job that Brosnan's debut does in establishing that the 'Daddy' of big-screen action heroes is still relevant (at a time when the Cold War had ended and political correctness had began) is more impressive.

Terminator 2 (Special Edition) - surely this series' high-water mark. Bravura action, pioneering CGI (before it bloody well took over) and a nice dash of humour.

It seems so unbelievable that there was a time when JC made a (fantastic) film every 2-3 years.

We had barely gotten over the hype and awesomeness of the last one when the next one was about to be released.

But hey, he'll make it up to us in a couple of years... :)

He and Dalton are my least favourite ones. Their Bond movies are downright dull and suffered severely from the so-called 'new man' Bond (less macho, more emotional, blah, blah, ...) AND a dated style of action.

Concerning the latter, thank god for he robooting of Bond!

934_matt-damon-jason-bourne-1139608082_z

"Glad to be of help!"

Alex

X-Men: Days Of Future Past:

x_men_days_of_future_past_banner-wide_zp

Rarely seen a movie were the characters were that uninteresting (and annoying in some cases). Didn't care for anything. I did manage to see it until the end but it wasn't easy. 91% on RT? What a joke!

2/10

Alex

Body Heat (1981)

I love this film! The atmosphere, the cinematography, the music, the setting, the story of course.

Have seen it 3 times in 3 years, and its has become a summer staple for me.

Was a bit confused with the plot the first time, but now I'm OK!

This and Basic Instict are my favourite erotic thrillers.

Rarely seen a movie were the characters were that uninteresting (and annoying in some cases). Didn't care for anything. I did manage to see it until the end but it wasn't easy. 91% on RT? What a joke!

2/10

Alex

You must be joking!

I love Basic Instinct; still haven't seen Body Heat but should. How does the score work in the film?

I love Basic Instinct; still haven't seen Body Heat but should. How does the score work in the film?

I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by "work", but I found it an essential element of the general atmosphere and it adds very much to the better!

It surely doesn't go unnoticeable and it's not a "musical rug".

By the way, the film is directed and written by the writer of Empire Strikes back and Raiders, Lawrence Kasdan.

2/10

Alex

You must be joking!

Nope. Jennifer Lawrence was miscast. I completely hate that Inception chick. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen had zero charisma this time, Singer didn't succeed in giving this movie some kind of character. In the end, it feels like another empty Hollywood product.

You always liked empty shallow movies, Steef.

The only character I liked was the dwarf from Games Of Thrones but even his character didn't go anywhere.

BTW, Morlock (God rest his soul) would have loved it!

The three main characters of the film are Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, and Michael Fassbender... And Alex didn't mention them at all.

The three main characters of the film are Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, and Michael Fassbender... And Alex didn't mention them at all.

Serviceable but nothing more. Why would I mention them? I wasn't impressed.

Cremers doesn't want us to think that he could enjoy a mainstream film.

Ahem, that's my favorite kind, but that doesn't mean I love them all.

The Lorax

This doesn't deliver. It's beautifully animated and ably recreates Suess' unique style -- but it's too bloated trying to configure a small book into a feature-length film. The subplots and added characters don't work, and the environmental message (hammered down by the songs) is far too heavy-handed. It's watchable but Illumination Entertainment has done much better.

The film's success mystifies me. Were parents that desperate for a family movie or did the Suess/Illumination pairing prove too irresistible?

The Babadook

Atmospheric possession/haunted house type of movie. While the third act isn't entirely successful, overall it was an extremely effective slow-burn horror movie in the face of a ton of shitty ones and remakes.

1408495006108_wps_19_The_Babadook_Movie_

The first half is almost so amazingly effective that the rest of the movie has a difficult time of living up to it. It takes on the task pretty well though.

The Babadook

Atmospheric possession/haunted house type of movie. While the third act isn't entirely successful, overall it was an extremely effective slow-burn horror movie in the face of a ton of shitty ones and remakes.

1408495006108_wps_19_The_Babadook_Movie_

Last year's best horror flick by some way, I think.

Fury:

51lPFU6OpL._AC_UL320_SR216320__zpsr3yrgh

Good, well-directed war movie with a fitting raw tone and a well-casted group of actors, Shia Lebeouf included. Fury would have been even better without the score. 7/10

Alex

MI:III - Finally got around to seeing this (years too late), on my way to Ghost Protocol and in preparation for the new film. The first MI was a decent, interesting film, but a little underwhelming. The second one was a flop. If there's one action director who can outdo Michael Bay when it comes to stupid slo-mo camera work, it's John Woo, and it completely undermined this film.

So they gave J.J. the reins for his first big-screen effort . . . and man, did he come through. This was easily the best of the series (so far, anyway), and one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time. Tom Cruise has been hit-and-miss in recent years—hell, when you get right down to it, he's been that way through pretty much his entire career—but he plays Ethan Hunt with so much intensity that you have to appreciate everything he invests in the role. I thought the story was great, the twists were fun, and the action choreography was top-notch (as I would expect from J.J.). Just a great, fun film.