What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Star Trek: Beyond by Michael Giacchino

Giacchino's dramatic sensibilities seem have greatly improved, and there is a firm sense of confidence here that I don't hear often from him. Having said that, I still have little patience for the core material and much of the content. I take this as a good sign for what lies ahead for him though.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

Sadly i only ever had the Dolby Surround pressing which has sound issues.

It's a shame the two Williams albums weren't part of the re-release series.

Listening to Radio 3's "The Sound Of Cinema": a Dougie Slocombe special. They just played " We're Jungle Creatures "...

I'm still in tears.

Now it's "The Blue Max". Not sure I can take much more of this. Pretty sure I'll end up like a squonk. 

Now it's "Julia ". Nice knowing you.

On 26 November 2015 at 5:35 PM, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (OST Album)

I think I prefer the Prague version of Double Trouble as the OST chorus annoys me. This album loses steam after a really solid first 30 minutes, but it's still a strong score.

The version performed by The City Of Prague Philharmonic is indeed excellent. Actually, I might even go as far as to say that - when it comes to Harry Potter cues - The Prague versions trumps the OST versions on many more occasions than just Double Trouble.

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

The version performed by The City Of Prague Philharmonic is indeed excellent. Actually, I might even go as far as to say that - when it comes to Harry Potter cues - The Prague versions trumps the OST versions on many more occasions than just Double Trouble.

Actually, I think all the original recordings are superior and "Double Trouble" is an exception. I kind of can't stand the other Prague recordings. Yuck.

I'm listening to the Deep Space Nine Collection. No surprise there. I'm so grateful this was released. It's just a treasure trove of wonderful music from the greatest TV series of all time. One of the best releases...ever!

8 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

I kind of can't stand the other Prague recordings. Yuck.

Really? That bad, huh? : / To each his own, I guess...

Generally I prefer original OSTs over re-recordings as well but in this case many of the re-recordings are superior...  At least to my ears! ; ) Great arrangements, the tempo is just right, fantastic recordings - the orchestra sounds huge! Just listen to "Leaving Hogwarts", "Fawkes The Phoenix" and "A Window To The Past" ...Beautiful!

Just thought I'd give the Prague versions a shout out if there are any Harry Potter-fans out there that hadn't heard them. They're at least worth checking out!

Oh, and btw, this is the release I'm referencing:

www.amazon.com/Music-John-Williams-Definitive-Collection/dp/B006YZAPVE

Listening to some John Carter, and I can I can kinda see why some could think of it as his best film score, he has not really written a finale action cue as satisfying as The Prize is Barzoom since.

Been listening to all Star Trek scores. And then sat down with Charlie and we recorded our (fairly loose) conversation. In part 1 we talk about scores/films I-Vl.

Karol

On 30/07/2016 at 4:11 AM, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Star Wars/Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra

One of the greatest albums...ever. The suite from Star Wars, to which Gerhardt incorporated "Here They Come!" (AKA the concert version of "TIE Fighter Attack"), is so utterly amazing. We're talking definitive.

Better than the excellent Skywalker Symphony version? 

The Fellowship of the Ring The Complete Recordings by Howard Shore: Finally had time to give this a listen from start to finish. While it is an emotionally taxing rollercoaster of melodies and moods it is as brilliant as ever. My favourite of the three LotR scores and in my film score top 10.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Special Edition) by Howard Shore: Likewise gave this a complete listen and it still has to be my favourite of the three Hobbit scores. It's not as oppressively dark as DoS and not quite as bellicose as BotFA with a lovely lighter and adventurous tone. And while it may retread musically and thematically areas of FotR it has definitely the feel of composer expanding his musical mirror of Tolkien's works and obviously enjoying it as there is such a wealth of new material here. Alas quite a few things never migrated into the sequel scores, Bilbo's theme the most sorely missed among them.

P.S. Out of the Frying-Pan is still after several years perhaps the best action setpiece from the Hobbit trilogy. I love its ferocity and how it seethes with aggression and that epic dwarven choral finale.

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's a decent CD, but I'd still rather just listen to the original recordings.

Which original recordings? The film score and album versions of select concert themes? Williams never recorded the original concert suites from the Star Wars Trilogy and those are a completely different experience.

I much prefer the Skywalker Symphony recordings of Here They Come and The Throne Room over the originals. Leia's theme is very good, too. Actually, only the main titles are uninspired (but still unique for the strings reprise). 

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

P.S. Out of the Frying-Pan is still after several years perhaps the best action setpiece from the Hobbit trilogy. I love its ferocity and how it seethes with aggression and that epic dwarven choral finale.

You surprise me Mikko! I thought you joined me on the right side with DoS as your favourite and The Forest River as the best action setpiece!

11 minutes ago, KK said:

You surprise me Mikko! I thought you joined me on the right side with DoS as your favourite and The Forest River as the best action setpiece!

I have come to the conclusion that the DoS is a bit too brooding for my tastes overall. I miss some genuine wonder and excitement. While it contains some of the best music in the trilogy, on the whole it is not as satisfying as the first score. The Forest River is up there with the best pieces from the whole trilogy though along with Flies and Spiders and On the Doorstep.

1 hour ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Which original recordings? The film score and album versions of select concert themes? Williams never recorded the original concert suites from the Star Wars Trilogy and those are a completely different experience.

I know that, of course. I'm just saying I'd generally rather listen to the original scores if I'm in the mood for Star Wars music, as great as some of the re recordings may be including the brilliant Gerhardts.

Ah, well. At least all of us can agree BOTFA was the weakest score overall, despite containing some really cool highlights. But they never really come together to form a convincing whole.

Karol

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I also think AUJ is the best, but still LOVE DOS

Yeah DoS is a good one too. I just wish it could have been a bit lighter in tone.

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Ah, well. At least all of us can agree BOTFA was the weakest score overall, despite containing some really cool highlights. But they never really come together.

Karol

Alas it is so. And that abominable mix on the album.

Just now, Incanus said:

Yeah DoS is a good one too.

Alas it is so. And that abominable soundmix on the album.

Topped only by the even more abominable film mix and music editing.

Karol

Ah, well. At least all of us can agree BOTFA was the weakest score overall, despite containing some really cool highlights. But they never really come together to form a convincing whole.

Karol

Absolutely true.

The Book Thief by John Williams: I return to this one regularly. I guess it is the Angela's Ashes styled atmosphere of this one that draws me back.

I like my Shore brooding. I really like SUN and The Two Towers might be my favourite Rings score. And I like The Fly, and Se7en. And The Cell. So it only makes sense that DOS should be my champion

Having said all that, I have yet to hear his The Brood. ;)

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I like my Shore brooding. I really like SUN and The Two Towers might be my favourite Rings score. And I like The Fly, and Se7en. And The Cell. So it only makes sense that DOS should be my champion

Having said all that, I have yet to hear his The Brood. ;)

Karol

Needles to say it is quite brooding. ;)

Or rather quite Herrmannes-esque actually.

There is that The Shape of Rage - A Suite for 21 Strings available from The Brood on disc. Very much your classic Shore.

I still need to listen to The Fly sometime.

I can't wait to hear the new Seven CD coming out, I loved the score when I heard it in the film last year.

And I also like this one. Hope Howe Records will re-release this as it's been long out of print:

Another reason why I prefer DOS over the other two is because it has the strongest thematic personality. The first score struggles a bit with that.

Karol

It's more than just brooding in DoS' case I think. It's just the most texturally diverse of the 3, and the Shore I love is the one who likes to play with textures/colours. 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I still need to listen to The Fly sometime.

I can't wait to hear the new Seven CD coming out, I loved the score when I heard it in the film last year.

The Fly is a seminal Howard Shore score. A classic operatic horror score. An essential classic in his repertoire.

Karol

Another reason why I prefer DOS over the other two is because it has the strongest thematic personality. The first score struggles a bit with that.

Karol

Can you really blame Shore on that regard? The poor man was writing themes left and right for AUJ and got half of them kicked out and most of them were quite excellent.

Agreed that DOS has the most diverse textures. That's one of the huge things I love about it, its great color pallette.