The Avengers (Written and Directed by Joss Whedon, music by Alan Silvestri)

Kendal_Ozzel

Yeah it is, but it still doesn't explain why people are going barmy over it.

At this rate they better make a new category in the Oscars.

They're going barmy because it's good, I don't see what's so strange about this.

one thing i think was not explained well is the change of mood of the hulk. 1srt time he is on screen he is the tipical hulk-smash everying even banner's friends. But in the final battle he is another hero, and seems to be a little more talkative that green hulk should be.

I mean it seems as if banner had come in peace with his other self and accepted it and therefore the hulk is more controlled-focused. But we dont see anything of this.

to me the Avengers set the bar at mid level and people are happy with it. I can't talk of Weaton's influence because Buffy was not watchable and Firefly just wasn't watchable for me either.

Really what is memorable?

In the Thor Iron Man fight the effects look just like Harry and Voldemort's wands shooting at each other.

The destruction of New York city has been down much better and more convincing in older films. Loki was a decent central villain but the other things, whatever the hell they were called were not memorable at all. Black Widow worked well in the film I will give you that but it was just ridiculous to see the Avengers huddled back to back and her cocking her gun. really a pistol against energy weapons and massive mechanical moray eels.

Quint..

I must concede that Scalett looked very good in this movie. I liked her shorter hair.

one thing i think was not explained well is the change of mood of the hulk. 1srt time he is on screen he is the tipical hulk-smash everying even banner's friends. But in the final battle he is another hero, and seems to be a little more talkative that green hulk should be.

I mean it seems as if banner had come in peace with his other self and accepted it and therefore the hulk is more controlled-focused. But we dont see anything of this.

In the first transformation the Hulk is uncontrolled, Banner is pissed off and influenced by Loki. In the second transformation Hulk and Banner are in agreement (Banner's aim is to help people) and he aims at the aliens.

Someone elaborated on this in imdb:

It appears as if for Hulk's first featured transformation, Loki was in some way influencing things. Black Widow says as much when inviting Banner to remove himself from the situation. There is also a somewhat dreamlike nature to the scene, with Thor's 'petty humans' line, Stark rubbing his temples (as Banner did when he sees Loki arrive on the boat), without realizing it Banner picks up Loki's staff and so on (suggesting something unnatural going on). With the second transformation, Banner was free from such interference. Arguments can also be made that (1) the first transformation was under stress after a fall during an attack whereas the second was a free choice; (2) the conversations with Stark about letting loose and realizing the Hulk absorbing the gamma radiation saved Banner, coupled with security guard's comment that the Hulk aimed for the abandoned factory, allowed Banner to realize that if he embraced the Hulk he could work with him. This is consistent with the character(s) of Bruce Banner and the Hulk; when provoked unexpectedly, the Hulk destroys in a blind rage, but when called upon by Banner's righteous anger, he can maintain a primitive understanding of friend and enemy; (3) that he was actually in control in the first instance, but he was angry with shield and specifically Black Widow, for putting him in that situation and they were feeling his wrath (perhaps still in part due to Loki's influence). He isn't on some out of control rampage, he stalks Black Widow, and then his attention is turned to Thor and the pilot.

Quint..

I must concede that Scalett looked very good in this movie. I liked her shorter hair.

Good man. Did you notice how shapely her backside looked in the catsuit? It was a highlight for me, and it helped break up the emotionally devoid action scenes. Her butt worked wonders for pacing.

For as much as I bitched about this score when it first came out, I cannot stop listening to it! With Silvestri scores, I either 'get it' or I don't immediately, then they warm up after repeated listens

Maybe because it's a blockbuster that doesn't talk down to its audience? And maybe because you don't like it and wondering why others do.

Quint..

Good man. Did you notice how shapely her backside looked in the catsuit? It was a highlight for me, and it helped break up the emotionally devoid action scenes. Her butt worked wonders for pacing.

Especially in the scene where she's interrogating Loki. It kind of took my mind off the actual scene for a few seconds. But I agree I like her look better in The Avengers than in Iron Man 2 ( which she also looked good in).

Maybe because it's a blockbuster that doesn't talk down to its audience? And maybe because you don't like it and wondering why others do.

You could be right in your first statement, but you're wrong in your second one. I've said numerous times that I enjoyed the movie, which you'd know if you paid attention!

Quint..

I have an inside joke with my friends where we refer to asses as faces. During that shot that sits on her ass for like 2 minutes, I leaned over and said "She's got a nice face." I got slapped lol

I love how the really took the time to come up with such a thorough analysis of a non-existent event. Better safe than sorry I guess :P

So they're basically saying an avarage budget of the Hollywood blockbuster could help a lot in a real world. If you look at it this way, all of these movies are such a waste of money.

Am I the only one who thinks this article/report is kind of... distasteful?

Karol

So they're basically saying an avarage budget of the Hollywood blockbuster could help a lot in a real world. If you look at it this way, all of these movies are such a waste of money.

Nah, all the rich people who could give some money are only starting to do so. Stuff like robotics and space exploration has just started to receive their attention, pretty literally, and biotechnological advances are still frowned upon because there's a stigma and they're probably not aware of the potential yet, just like MNT and the like.

There's the posibility of having these films and all these other things at the same time. But films are found as an easier investement to understand than things that can change the world: for most of these, they're first though as impossible, and later as bad ideas. It isn't until a later breakthrough that they suddenly jump on board.

Also, these films require lots of money because it's a form of art in its infancy, despite the many that want you to think its in decadence. But slowly, they start requiring less money and being accesible to the people. At some point in the future, with some work, they'll stop feeling like a "waste", because many will have access to creating such a thing. The reason this always happens is simple: profit.

Am I the only one who thinks this article/report is kind of... distasteful?

I don't.

the-avengers-gang-from-sesame-street-se2764.jpeg

I'm not sure that I would spend $25 on a Sesame Street-Avengers mashup shirt that totally drops the ball by not including Roosevelt Franklin as Nick Fury, instead adding whoever the fuck Elmo's little girlfriend is, but the shirt exists regardless.

For a superhero movie, the theme is depressingly weak. You know, not once when watching the spectacular action sequences did the score stir me, not once did I get goosebumps as the music underscored these heroic deeds - Silverstri could not muster in him a power to his music to punctuate these feats of daring-do and peril avoided. Scared of going all-out perhaps, the score was not patriotic enough, crucially - the war drums, as it were, we're absent. This is why Silverstri failed to deliver a worthy superhero score: because the score simply was not rousing.

You weren't thrilled by the Helicarrier scene and its clever rhythmical string and horn patterns? Or the Assemble scene?

There are also some effective tender moments (without posting any spoilers), unusual for this kind of genre movie.

I can't understand all the slack this score is receiving 'round here. Sure, it's not a earth-shattering, revolutionary score, but I think it's fine, competently written film music that does really well its job. This aren't the kind of movies where to expect lush lyricism à la Superman The Movie anymore. Having made peace with that, you can't deny that Silvestri is really good at getting well all the film's dramatic needs and amping up the excitement mainly through rhythm and pulse. I like his trademark use of manly ostinatos and bold orchestrations. Considering these movies are a constant barrage of loud sound effects, he found a good way to be heard. Yes, he pays his due to some of the current film scoring trends (orchestrations are done well, but seem a tad too much molded into the thick block of horns-strings-percussion typical of current scores), but I have to say that I was quite surprised that most of the score sounds very acoustic and natural. And it totally sounds like a Silvestri score, which is a good thing. He is one of the few composers still able to keep his voice intact in the real tough arena of today's Hollywood film music.

Well said, Maurizio :thumbup:

Finally, I watched The Avengers.

Hulk is awesome, I think Ruffalo should reprise the role in a Hulk movie, he is a great Hulk.

Btw, the score works better in film, specially the captain america music.

Hulk is awesome, I think Ruffalo should reprise the role in a Hulk movie, he is a great Hulk.

Nah. They should get a fourth Hulk actor for the modern era. Just because.

I'm not sure why it's making so much money

The film is about on par with John Carter in terms of my level of enjoying a film

Now that you mention, I still have to see John Carter! I have a list of 2012 films I want to see and I've only seen one...

yeah me too. I need to see more movies LOL. I saw avengers and I thought it was a very fun, entertaining film! and the pacing was pretty great, the movie kept moving from one point to the next.

Now that you mention, I still have to see John Carter! I have a list of 2012 films I want to see and I've only seen one...

yeah me too. I need to see more movies LOL. I saw avengers and I thought it was a very fun, entertaining film! and the pacing was pretty great, the movie kept moving from one point to the next.

I'm not sure why it's making so much money

The film is about on par with John Carter in terms of my level of enjoying a film

Just stop right there. :shakehead:

The only Marvel movie I've really enjoyed was Ang Lee's Hulk, so you know where I'm coming from. I thought the first Iron Man was fairly enjoyable, all the movies that followed were totally pedestrian.

Data has a lot of things that "rubs him the wrong way", you have a lot of things that you find to be pedestrian, I noticed...

Honestly, I am unable to find the appeal of Gia's music. It just sounds pedestrian and predictable to my untrained ears

It sounds better when the melody's resolution is played on the woodwinds, instead of the strings like in that clip. Still, good stuff. Too bad it is followed by the Fellowship theme, and theme I find utterly pedestrian

Seven Years in Tibet

The score is a masterwork. The movie is very pedestrian.

1492 is totally pedestrian, the artistry of the director behind the camera is invisible, like the director had absolutely nothing to say, no passion whatsoever.

It sounds totally pedestrian indeed.

Saw it tonight, and I thought it was a very enjoyable movie with an inspired cast, making the most out of rather pedestrian plot.

The movie is so pedestrian I can imagine myself playing Carmageddon with it

ROTFLMAO

You're the best

You keep a list?

I have several lists. Modern films, oldie films, specific genres, directors to check out etc. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep track.

I didn't know you liked Blood Bowl.

It was $7 and is on my list of games to play.

It's a PC game? I've played the board game myself.

The only Marvel movie I've really enjoyed was Ang Lee's Hulk, so you know where I'm coming from. I thought the first Iron Man was fairly enjoyable, all the movies that followed were totally pedestrian.

Data has a lot of things that "rubs him the wrong way", you have a lot of things that you find to be pedestrian, I noticed...

Honestly, I am unable to find the appeal of Gia's music. It just sounds pedestrian and predictable to my untrained ears

It sounds better when the melody's resolution is played on the woodwinds, instead of the strings like in that clip. Still, good stuff. Too bad it is followed by the Fellowship theme, and theme I find utterly pedestrian

Seven Years in Tibet

The score is a masterwork. The movie is very pedestrian.

1492 is totally pedestrian, the artistry of the director behind the camera is invisible, like the director had absolutely nothing to say, no passion whatsoever.

It sounds totally pedestrian indeed.

Saw it tonight, and I thought it was a very enjoyable movie with an inspired cast, making the most out of rather pedestrian plot.

The movie is so pedestrian I can imagine myself playing Carmageddon with it

ROTFLMAO

You're the best

here I was thinking he was kind of pedestrian.

I saw it again on Mother's day with family and relatives. They enjoyed it. I enjoyed it even more. There's never a dull moment for me. This is probably a movie I can look at over and over and over and never tire of it. I also noticed Silvestri's score more this time. Though I wasn't intentionally paying attention to it. But I just notice some themes or motifs that he kept using on this viewing which is weird b/c I have yet to hear the score seperate from the film. I'm really tempted to look at this for a third time. And I've never done that before in my life (that is look at a movie in the cinema three times). I'm glad this movie is making money and breaking records b/c it deserves it.

So why did the Hulk lose control of himself and try to murder Scarlett Johansson if later his secret is that he can totally control himself just fine??? Plot hole?

Actually, he can call on and partially control the Hulk side of himself, but if he gets too stressed and angry, it comes out uncontrolled.

Essentially, it depends on how the hulk is invoked.

I think that's in the Comic Books.

So why did the Hulk lose control of himself and try to murder Scarlett Johansson if later his secret is that he can totally control himself just fine??? Plot hole?

I answered this before. First transformation: influenced by Loki, stressed, didn't want to transform. Second transformation: Banner and Hulk in agreement.

Thanks guys, that makes sense. And sorry to miss where you already answered that, Chaac.

There is a very cool audio interview with Alan Silvestri (conducted by ever reliable Tim Burden) in the latest issue of FSM Online (which came out just... well... now).

It makes me want to revisit the score, which I didn't like after first listen.

Oh and finally we know why Capt America's march didn't appear on CD last year.

Karol