The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014 Film)

Jay

Dane de Haan would be fine, had he not played a similar role in last February's Chronicle. Jamie Foxx's casting as Electro is... weird, to say the least. I'm not against him playing a villain, I would've pegged him for Mysterio or something like that.

But the previous movie disappointed me in every way possible. Especially that hackeyed script and convenient plot devices.

You mean they're making a sequel???

The first one wasn't that Amazing to begin with. I'll stick with Tobey Maquire. At least it had MJ and a more believeable Aunt May. And J.K. Simmons' J. Jonah Jameson rocked.

The Amazing Spider-Man was better than Raimi's films in every conceivable way. I'm looking forward to this one.

That's your opinion. But for me, I thought Raimi's films had personality and soul (Webb's film only had a shadow of that). There was some believable growth with Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker throughout the three films. I'll admit Spider-Man 3 was overstuffed and had big smoke-and-mirror plot holes... but it was still better than the rampant plot devices in the last half of ASM.

Andrew Garfield is a good actor, but the direction they went with his Peter was just... wrong. He's not a believable geek, he's more of a mopey emo kid. There's virtually no growth from his character from start to finish. (And what growth was there was shrugged off in the last scene.) And for a couple that was dating off-screen, he and Emma Stone didn't have that chemistry.

It's amazing how frustrating this movie was. I'm not against reboots in general, but ASM was full of missed opportunities. It could've been so much better, but it was just... forgettable.

I agree that it could have been better, but on the whole I found it to be so much more engaging and fun in a non-cheesy way. It also helped that 30-year olds weren't being passed off as high school kids.

Parker was still very much a geek, and a stalker too... but he wasn't a nerd. He had swag. It was a much more believable high school scenario that you could find today. My problems lied much more with Webb's direction actually. I didn't like a lot of the camera movements and choices during the action scenes. Felt too chaotic.

The casting and acting were just leaps and bounds better than Raimi's films, with the exception of Alfred Molina. He was that series' saving grace.

It also helped that 30-year olds weren't being passed off as high school kids.

Yes, how dare they.

the-big-bang-theory-10.jpg

Ok, fine, college kids aren't in high school anymore. If you're reading this, you're a geek.

I don't get the reference. Aren't the characters they are playing on that show about the same age as the actors?

I agree that it could have been better, but on the whole I found it to be so much more engaging and fun in a non-cheesy way. It also helped that 30-year olds weren't being passed off as high school kids.

Parker was still very much a geek, and a stalker too... but he wasn't a nerd. He had swag. It was a much more believable high school scenario that you could find today. My problems lied much more with Webb's direction actually. I didn't like a lot of the camera movements and choices during the action scenes. Felt too chaotic.

The casting and acting were just leaps and bounds better than Raimi's films, with the exception of Alfred Molina. He was that series' saving grace.

I liked the campy style of Raimi's films (or at least the first 2) far more than the uninteresting take of Webb's film. The former was a lot more fun, the latter was boring.

Jamie Foxx in a Spidey film is a piece of casting I can't take seriously at all. I hope they saw something in him that they really liked - surely they don't need the star power?

"Sam Raimi thinks his Spider-Man can dance? I'll teach that sumbitch to sing!"

Jamie-Foxx-in-Ray.jpg

Parker was still very much a geek, and a stalker too... but he wasn't a nerd.

My problems lie with Garfield's character arc. You start to see a semblance of it during that pivotal scene between him and Capt. Stacy at the end, then Parker foolishly breaks that and he's back to square one. I don't care if it's closer to the comic arc of "Death of Gwen Stacy" or not, that rubs me the wrong way.

And the subplot involving his parents is mainly sidelined. Who cares about Peter's parents anyway? They didn't get much focus in the comics since Peter spent most of his childhood with Aunt May and Uncle Ben, and something that Raimi wisely avoided.

I hope this sequel is a serious step-up from Amazing. Marc Webb mentioned he had more creative freedom, and I hope he makes this franchise's equivalent to Spider-Man 2.

It also helped that 30-year olds weren't being passed off as high school kids.

Wasn't Garfield like, 28 when they shot this film? And Emma Stone mjst have been like 23 but she looks already too old to be in high school. I specifically remember complaining about this when they announced the casting choices.

• 2 months later...

And Peter Parker is a fashion conscious teenager so he is constantly tuning up his costume.

I liked Raimi's films (3 was a guilty pleasure) and I like TAM as well. The only thing I never really cared about was the design of the new suit. I am actually glad they have changed it to look more like Maguire's suit.

Either way I'm looking forward to the film. I wonder if Horner will be back for this one or not.

Wasn't it confirmed? I think I remember someone saying this will be the first time Horner will have scored both the original film and the sequel in a franchise.

Why does An American Tail not count?

Wow, it is pretty different. Wonder why they bothered to change it?

Because last year's outfit looked like it was made from basketballs? It looks like they combined the Raimi costume and the reboot one into something much more palatable for the sequel... I'm liking the bigger eyes on the suit.

Wasn't it confirmed? I think I remember someone saying this will be the first time Horner will have scored both the original film and the sequel in a franchise.

Horner's done this several times. Mask of Zorro and The Legend of Zorro... and then An American Tail and An American Tail: Fievel Goes West. It wouldn't be a stretch to see Horner coming back for this film.

Probably because of the highly negative feedback of TASM costume.

I just..still don't know about this sequel. Foxx has my blessing, but I don't like Dehaan or whatever, Giamatti as Rhino is...weird...It just rubs me the wrong way.

I liked Raimi's films (3 was a guilty pleasure) and I like TAM as well. The only thing I never really cared about was the design of the new suit. I am actually glad they have changed it to look more like Maguire's suit.

Either way I'm looking forward to the film. I wonder if Horner will be back for this one or not.

I actually have had the good luck of legitimately enjoying all 4 spider-man movies. Yeah, I don't think a single one is bad. Not even SM3. I'm sure Horner will be back, Webb loved what he did for TASM, so I know hes bound to come back.

Because last year's outfit looked like it was made from basketballs? It looks like they combined the Raimi costume and the reboot one into something much more palatable for the sequel... I'm liking the bigger eyes on the suit.

>Wasn't it confirmed? I think I remember someone saying this will be the first time Horner will have scored both the original film and the sequel in a franchise.

Horner's done this several times. Mask of Zorro and The Legend of Zorro... and then An American Tail and An American Tail: Fievel Goes West. It wouldn't be a stretch to see Horner coming back for this film.

And COCOON 2, and STAR TREK III. Apart from AMERICAN TAIL 2, most of the follow-up scores were more or less identic reprises of the first score, so i don't hold my breath for ASM 2.

• 1 month later...

So, in the first Peter is a Robert Pattinson clone, and now Harry is a Belieber?

UGH! I suspect there's gonna be a ton of CG electricity but still...... Electro had a damn dome type helmet on....I don't remember if he ever showed his face in the cartoon (or comics).

Apparently he was blue in for a brief time in the 90s.

I still don't get the obsession with changing the look of a character, especially so drastically, when adapting from one medium to another. Of course the comic suit wouldn't really work, but this is hardly a better alternative.

Yeah, here is Electro's classic look

Electro.png