So instead of paying to see $6 to see Tintin or War Horse in the theater, you want to pay $15 to own them forever on blu ray? Why not just red-box the blu ray for $1 before deciding if you want to own the thing or not? Seems like a waste of money.

So instead of paying to see $6 to see Tintin or War Horse in the theater, you want to pay $15 to own them forever on blu ray? Why not just red-box the blu ray for $1 before deciding if you want to own the thing or not? Seems like a waste of money.

$6 in the theater, Jay? Most theaters around here charge about $10, or more for a 3D film.

So instead of paying to see $6 to see Tintin or War Horse in the theater, you want to pay $15 to own them forever on blu ray? What happened to seeing things in the theater, and then only buying the ones you really like, instead of buying movies you've never even seen before? I don't get it

$6 in the theater, Jay? Most theaters around here charge about $10, or more for a 3D film.

Yes! All the theaters near me have "Cheap Movie Tuesdays" where tickets are $6 instead of the normal $10 or so.

What's with this bizarre trend lately of putting out teasers for teasers?

Anyway, looking good, so far, and the snippet of the score is lovely.

In other news, Joseph Gordon-Levitt gave an interview with some comments about Lincoln toward the end: http://news.moviefone.com/2012/09/10/joseph-gordon-levitt-looper-lincoln_n_1869692.html?utm_hp_ref=moviefone

What's with this bizarre trend lately of putting out teasers for teasers?

Indeed. It's getting annoying. Ridiculous and totally unnecessary.

A tease for the official trailer:

[media=]

A very small glimpse of Williams' score as well, I guess...

Yes I would guess that is from Williams score but I really have no idea

The teaser for the trailer (an understandable development given our affinity for the ever smaller doses of information in our smartphone age I'd say) makes me wonder if Mr Spielberg is a Ken Burns fan. Certainly this crossed my mind way back when the trailer for "Ryan" premiered.

Yes! All the theaters near me have "Cheap Movie Tuesdays" where tickets are $6 instead of the normal $10 or so.

Well first, I thought it was known that I'm fairly anti-theater. I barely saw any films in 2011, and I think I saw only a couple from the Oscar season (which is why I'm eager for them to drop in price). It's only been in the past few months that I've started to go regularly again. I also try to maximize my free ticket potential, by going several weeks after a film opens and chatting up an old manager. The Bourne Legacy was the first theatrical ticket I paid for since the beginning of the year or something like that. Even then, the fire alarm went off during the previews and I got a pass out of it. If I can't get in for free, I buy a child ticket from the machine, which is still $9.50.

Certainly not a repeat of the glorious War Horse trailer.

Nothing to really be impressed by there. What's with creepy looking live action interpretations of Abraham Lincoln?

First of all, thanks to the welcome back from several members in PM. I apologize that I can't post more - I am incredibly busy and honestly just do not have the time to do anything fun on the internet. Having a busy career is a double-edged sword, I'm afraid.

Yeah that melody is pretty much the main melody. So if you don't like it, you probably wont' really care for the score. It goes through several orchestrations. However, that is NOT the "hymn" from the score, unless I am mistaken. There is a piece of music that is actually very harsh sounding at times (jarring...emotional...painful) that refers to obvious things -= the war, Lincoln dying (spoiler...Lincoln dies) etc.

Not my favorite score. There's a lot of "reflective John Williams battle horns in the distance" with lots of moody strings...tiny orchestration for most of it (which isn't bad) and the piano melody is throughout the whole score. Let's just say that I'd be sad if Williams goes out with this one. After further reflection, I have actually decided that I like Tin Tin's score more than War Horse - I just love how fun and quirky it is. Mind you, my opinion could change, but here is the rating for the 3 to give you perspective:

Tin Tin - 8.5

War Horse - 7

Lincoln - 6

Sorry to give bad news... :-( Who knows maybe some soulful playing from the orchestra (as I have not HEARD the music...just read it) will elevate it. It's quality music...and I'm sure it works well for the film...it's just...well...boring.

Could this be Williams's most mature score yet?

I am sure that most fan will equate that with boredom. Mature=boring=no fun.

Well, I think it's beyond dispute that if there's no "TIE Fighter Attack"-type cue, the score is an unequivocal failure.

Yeah, I want my Lincoln march!

Karol

Amen!

And it will probably be the well tread Americana Williams has done so many times. Why not a hip-hop score for some anachronistically hipstery sarcasm I ask you?

Nay, with Williams, every note is pregnant with providential purpose and incandescent intention.

Hence his smallest gesture is a reflection of what the totality of the music will be. It is like Plato's cave analogy, where individual moment of Williams' score casts a shadow that reflects the whole, perhaps imperfect but still a reflection of the ideal whole.

That is why it is so easy to extrapolate how the complete score will sound from just a few notes.

First of all, thanks to the welcome back from several members in PM. I apologize that I can't post more - I am incredibly busy and honestly just do not have the time to do anything fun on the internet. Having a busy career is a double-edged sword, I'm afraid.

Yeah that melody is pretty much the main melody. So if you don't like it, you probably wont' really care for the score. It goes through several orchestrations. However, that is NOT the "hymn" from the score, unless I am mistaken. There is a piece of music that is actually very harsh sounding at times (jarring...emotional...painful) that refers to obvious things -= the war, Lincoln dying (spoiler...Lincoln dies) etc.

Not my favorite score. There's a lot of "reflective John Williams battle horns in the distance" with lots of moody strings...tiny orchestration for most of it (which isn't bad) and the piano melody is throughout the whole score. Let's just say that I'd be sad if Williams goes out with this one. After further reflection, I have actually decided that I like Tin Tin's score more than War Horse - I just love how fun and quirky it is. Mind you, my opinion could change, but here is the rating for the 3 to give you perspective:

Tin Tin - 8.5

War Horse - 7

Lincoln - 6

Sorry to give bad news... :-( Who knows maybe some soulful playing from the orchestra (as I have not HEARD the music...just read it) will elevate it. It's quality music...and I'm sure it works well for the film...it's just...well...boring.

Great info, thank you!

So the melody in the trailer is the main theme, no bits missed out or edits? I really like it, especially the cadence about half way through, think it could be orchestrated really nicely. Just sometimes they edit bits or make it quicker in some parts for trailers...

And I'm intrigued about this painful 'hymn' you've mentioned, sounds like some powerful writing!

Tin Tin - 8.5

War Horse - 7

Lincoln - 6

Thanks for the info.

In all honesty, your initial opinion regarding Tintin wasn't very optimistic either. I remember you called it 'Williams on auto-pilot' and that War Horse was 'the kind of the score that made you want to become a composer'. So I guess things can change over time, and who knows; a year from now you might rate Lincoln much higher. ;)

I don't want a melody to be etched in my head, I want it to be interesting. To carry SOME sense of motion. To make me go...what a genuinely good combo of notes.

This sounds like the maestro sat at the piano, bounced a heavy red ball on the keys, and recorded which keys got pressed.

Actually it's worse than that. It sounds like something out of War Horse deliberately boringfied.