Your favorite John Williams score of the 1960s? CONCLUDED

indy4

I've only seen the film once, long ago, but I think that passage was unscored in the film, right?

I think so, yes. But it's quite curious how 20 or so years later he writes such an awesome passage to include in his suite for the score. Can it be considered part of it?

I'd say that since the purpose of the poll is to decide what project in the '60s JW did the best score for, you should NOT include stuff that wasn't written after 1969. Of course, it's possible the horse race music was a rejected cue that was indeed written for the film originally...

So...is the "horse race" music new music, or was it written for, but not used in, the film?

Has anyone else seen/heard JW conduct the suite?

The horse race scherzo was written specifically for the concert suite, which was prepared by Williams in the early 1980s for one of his very first concerts as Pops' music director. In the actual film, the horse race isn't actually seen in full--it's more a dream-like recollection of the main character, seen in slow motion.

I saw JW conducting the concert suite in Chicago in '07 and it was one of the true highlights of the evening. Even better, he put harmonica and banjo in the orchestra, something that usually isn't done when he performs it.

I agree. Would be interesting to see which non-Spielberg/Lucas film related score gets the most votes around here. My guess is Superman followed by the Harry Potters.

Which one should win, then?

THE REIVERS and i have a soft spot for DADDY'S GONE-A-HUNTING.

How is the Daddy's Gone A-Hunting?

It's more in the groovy vein of EARTHQUAKE (also a Mark Robson film), but the jazzy chords betray its composer fairly easily.

We definitely need a complete score from this film. Post haste! It takes priority!

You can only vote for one score

Why isn't Checkmate listed?? Would JW have scored a James Bond movie, Checkmate is how it would have sounded!

Lost in Space is as much a John Williams score as any of the others listed. But I would also consider Amazing Stories: The Mission and the NBC News music to be Williams scores on the level of his other work from that time period as well. They aren't film scores, but they are just as good, if not better. Jane Eyre was a TV movie, why did that count?

I only included film scores (including TV film scores), because that's what Stefan included in his polls. I think that's a perfectly reasonable place to draw the line, and you have to draw it somewhere.

Lost in Space would have been weird to include in this poll. If you bunch all the JW scored episodes into one category, then you have fairly varied scores being lumped into one poll option. If you try to separate them out by episode, then you have four entries with 10 - 20 minutes of score each, competing against a bunch of entries with ~60 minutes. Checkmate (which is one of my favorite JW albums, btw) is more of a concept album than a score... a good deal of the music was not written for any specific part of the show, or as source music.

Lost in Space is as much a John Williams score as any of the others listed. But I would also consider Amazing Stories: The Mission and the NBC News music to be Williams scores on the level of his other work from that time period as well. They aren't film scores, but they are just as good, if not better. Jane Eyre was a TV movie, why did that count?

AMAZING STORIES and NBC are from the 80s, not the 60s (which I'm sure you know).

But I agree with indy4. His TV music is a beast onto itself.

I'd love to do a "Favourite John Williams score from the 50s" thread too, but that would have HAD to include his tv material, as there was only one film released in that decade (two if you count the air force thing).

I know I'm not the only one who has seen and heard practically everyhing he's done since the mid 50s (with some TV exceptions), so you'd be surprised by how active a thread about the 50s, the TV work or the concert works could be!

60s_zpsfdeddc07.jpg

This poll is now concluded, any further votes will not be logged. Thank you to Indy4 for making this one

The Rievers won rather overwhelmingly. I'm guessing that's because it's a well regarded dramatic score, which has a popular concert suite.

Heidi coming in second suggest a preference of the more serious scores over the many 60's comedies Johhny Williams scored.

I think those scores are important in that it allowed the Maestro to gain experience, hone his skills, and played a part in letting him become the kind of composer he would become very shortly after. But I don't find them musically interesting in themselves.

JW's 60's comedy scores don't rate very high to me

I dig those!

But there's far more to JW's 60s scores than that genre! He also wrote some of his most modernistic music in that decade, especially in the concert world.

especially in the concert world.

Irrelevant to this poll.

Yeah, but not everything in this world is about these polls! :)

Just wanted to point out that there's more to discover of Williams' 60s music than the comedy scores (great fun as they are).