Shelly Manne - Checkmate CD (2014)

fommes

This edition presents Shelly Manne's complete classic album Checkmate (Contemporary Records S7599), featuring the great quintet with Richie Kamuca on tenor sax, Conte Candoli on trumpet, Russ Freeman on piano, Chuck Berghofer on bass, and the leader on drums. On the LP, Manne plays music by John Williams from the soundtrack of the now forgotten “Checkmate” television series. As a bonus, a complete session taped by the exact same band for the radio show “The Navy Swings!” during the same period. Included on the latter program are various standard tunes, plus an alternate version of “The King Swings” from Checkmate.

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/es/64859/shelly-manne/and-his-men-checkmate-14-bonus-tracks

Apparently, a reissue has been released of the Shelly Manne Checkmate CD with additional bonus tracks. It's fairly cheap on the European Amazons too.

Added this 1962 album to the JW Discography Wiki page, because I think this album is worth to mention, thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Selective_discography_of_his_works_recorded_by_other_artists

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, Thor said:

Did you know that there are videos on Youtube of Manne performing the CHECKMATE pieces? I just found out myself (maybe I'm late to the party).

Those are likely to be the ones included on the DVD I mentioned earlier on this thread.

Just now, Miguel Andrade said:

Those are likely to be the ones included on the DVD I mentioned earlier on this thread.

Yes, likely. Although hopefully in better quality. The Youtube clips seem to be recorded from the TV or some other source.

21 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, likely. Although hopefully in better quality. The Youtube clips seem to be recorded from the TV or some other source.

Will try to check the DVD, but the first youtube video would hardly be any better, being a 480p video.

The later one is in full HD, maybe a new transfer -- or just an upscalling from the DVD.