Leonard Rosenman's Star Trek 4 (Complete and Remastered) released by Intrada

Jay

What was the net Earth had around it to keep cloaked ships from entering, which it could detect? Something like a Neutrino field. Couldn't a photon torpedo be altered to detect that emmitting from a cloaked ship?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually called "Treaty Of Algernon", you were close OneBuck.

I don't really remember what field is that surrounds Earth to detect cloaked ships.

Yes true the Federation could NOT make cloaking devices at any time and if they did it would be highly frowned upon. It's what kept them in peace with the Romulans (and supposedly Klingons) for 60 years.

The reason why the Defiant had one, was because it was loaned from the Romulan government. Of course when the short time the Klingons and Federation were enemies again Sisko used the Cloaking device in the Alpha quadrant so his ship wouldn't be detected by the Klingons. Bashir even mentioned to Sisko about the agreement with the Romulans strictly prohibited the Federation to use the cloaking device on the Defiant in the alpha quadrant when they rescued Dukat and the council members. Of course Sisko told Bashir he knew that but he wanted to make the rendezvous in one piece considering there was hundreds of cloaked Klingon ships between them and Dukat.

Ahem, this is for Rosenman's Star Trek IV, I made a Official Star Trek Thread, the posts in there right now are more score oriented though.

I seem to recall at the end of "The Pegasus", when the Enterprise came out of phased clock from the asteroid, that after they hailed the Rolulan ship that Picard would inform the higher ups about the incident.

Edit, yes, Picard says it's a violation of the Treaty of Algeron.

Hopefully if all goes well I'll have mine on either Friday or Saturday. Since I live in Cedar City, I'm further south now (only 3 hours from my old city, Vegas) so I know it doesn't take long for packages to get from California to here.

It's actually called "Treaty Of Algernon"

I believe you were thinking of the 1958 science fiction short story entitled, Flowers for Algernon, which deals with a mouse with enhanced intelligence and studies into mental disabilities.

Roddenberry established the practice of Starfleet not using cloaking devices because he didn't want his good guys sneaking around the galaxy in hidden ships. It's not what people who claim to be scientists and diplomats on a mission of peace would do, and it makes the bad guys that much sneakier. However, it was not until the events of TNG "Pegasus" that the reason -- the Treaty of Algeron (one N) -- was established.

Yet another example of Star Trek's ongoing back-story-writing that outlines events so key to the chronology of the future that they are never mentioned in a plot or even casual conversation until almost 30 years into the franchise. Funny, kinda.

Well, that was a good a time as could be to mention it, in that episode. Rather it be so in relation to plot than Data suddenly bursting out in facts oddly.

Plus, that seems to be one of two reasons "The Pegasus" even exists; to tell Riker's backstory, and establish Trek lore on an important technology.

OF course, if I was any kind of self respcting nerd, I'd be able to name at least two mroe races that usee cloak in the Federation quadrant. OH well. Been trading my Nerd Badge in for one of history, lots and lots of history. And naming composers to various TV series.

Most of the races that would cover are one-trick ponies that appear in one episode but are never seen again, like the Aldeans, and remain as memorable as their episodes. Otherwise, you're dealing with folks like Quark and Cardassians who got cloaking devices for short transactions, never full-time gigs.

It's also convenient to just forget the Suliban and most of the rest of "Star Trek: Enterprise" ever took place.

I'm just as happy to also ignore "Star Trek Nemesis" by saying there's no way that a rejected genetic experiment and permanent misanthrope like Shinzon could design, build, or even get his hands on a super cloaking device without his host race of the Romulans noticing. That device existed only so that the producers had something for Troi and Riker to do: violate her, which gets him mad and bent on revenge, and then use her to play video games with the ship's guns. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Anyone order their through Screen Archives?

Just wondering if SAE have their shipment of the title yet.

I suspect there are a LOT of orders to fulfill for this one.

So, that makes Trek II, Trek III, Trek IV and Trek V from the TOS movies now complete. :)

This makes me very happy, especially knowing the others are likely coming as part of Paramount's ongoing programme of score album restorations.

This small collection of speciality labels are doing such a stellar job with these releases.

This release is great!

The alternate End Title blew my mind, the slower tempo is a bit hard to get used to though.

The Whaler Alternate and End Title alternate are the pieces from the International Prologue.

The prologue is (WIP):

The Whaler (Alternate)

Kirk Freed

The Probe

Crash/Whale Fugue

The Whaler (Album/Film)

End Title (Alternate)

It definitely is. The alternate for "Time Travel" and "The Whaler" would NOT have worked very well in the film. They are both interesting but they just wouldn't work. I do find it interesting that the alternate of "Whale Fugue" for the most part was dropped and shifted into the "End Credits".

"In San Francisco" those pieces are pretty interesting but I can see why they were dropped. I don't think they would have meshed very well with the film.

Also the cut segment from the cue "Crash / Whale Fugue" in the main body of the score is pretty neat. The cut from that material on the original album always bugged the hell out of me.

I recieved my copy in the mail today - California to New Jersey in two days, not bad!

Funny though, my Herrmann box and Batman Forever also shipped on Tuesday but didn't come today.

I recieved my copy in the mail today - California to New Jersey in two days, not bad!

Funny though, my Herrmann box and Batman Forever also shipped on Tuesday but didn't come today.

You must have put your order in before mine. I live in Cedar City, Utah and I should have easily gotten mine before you. :P

Arrived today! What a wonderful score. Sound quality is great and it's nice to hear those awkward edits, like in "Main Title," smoothed over at last. I love the track "In San Francisco." Those short cues are classic TV sort of scoring.

Arrived today! What a wonderful score. Sound quality is great and it's nice to hear those awkward edits, like in "Main Title," smoothed over at last. I love the track "In San Francisco." Those short cues are classic TV sort of scoring.

Indeed. I can see why they were dropped, they may not have meshed very well with the film. I should have my copy today...I hope I do anyways.

This release is great!

The alternate End Title blew my mind, the slower tempo is a bit hard to get used to though.

The Whaler Alternate and End Title alternate are the pieces from the International Prologue.

The prologue is (WIP):

The Whaler (Alternate)

Kirk Freed

The Probe

Crash/Whale Fugue

The Whaler (Album/Film)

End Title (Alternate)

I agree 100%. I love the alternate end title and the unreleased tracks. The sound is great. Just download the score to my itunes and ipod.

Got mine today. Great art design to fit in with FSM's and LLL's Trek releases. Can't wait to give it a proper listen, but so far it sounds fab.

I love the track "In San Francisco." Those short cues are classic TV sort of scoring.

Probably one of the reasons I don't like this score at all.

If I want to listen to Rosenman, I do have his Bakshi LOTR soundtrack, and I feel this is all the Rosenman I will need. Not that I don't appreciate his style, it's just not something I can enjoy on an emotional level outside of the technical subtleties.

What the hell...people back east have all ready gotten their copies but mine has yet to arrive? I live in freaking Utah for crying out loud, two states away from California! I hope it's here on Monday...

Arrived Friday & gave it a listen yesterday. Meh.

I think that the 4 tracks that I already had from Star Trek: the Astral Symphony were the best parts & am not sure that this was worth getting.

Mine never came on Friday so I fired an email back to Intrada. They told me they'll send a replacement. Even with first class mail, packages from California to Utah DO NOT take this long. So the post office screwed up some where and now my package is lost in limbo. I do hope the replacement comes with out a problem.

Arrived Friday & gave it a listen yesterday. Meh.

I think that the 4 tracks that I already had from Star Trek: the Astral Symphony were the best parts & am not sure that this was worth getting.

If you want to trade it off, PM me -- I got a petite list of stuff. I also have a seperate list of unreleased stuff.

Trent, some poor bastards is got your package and opened it up anyway "just because" and are STILL confused why the DVD player won't read it and who the hell "Leonard Rosenman" is. ;-)

I really hope I have my replacement copy either today or tomorrow. Sorta irritating the original one got lost in the mail. First time it's ever happened with an order directly from Intrada.

I did get my replacement CD today, yay!

I remember I bought a CD from a guy in Canada. After a long time, it never came and I was going to ask for a replacement of refund, but then, suddenly, a beat-up, torn packaged arrived over a month later.

From tiem-to-time, as security demands, customs will inspect every package, often opening things and taping them back shut.

Jason is right. Even with first class mail it wouldn't take nearly 2 weeks from packages to go from California to Utah. I should know I've sent off first class packages before from here to there and took about a day longer maybe two at the most than Priority Mail.

Yes, it can -- as an ex Postal employee, I can tell you that. In fact, when you pay for something like Priority delivery which is two to three days and it doesn't arrive, just ask your Post Office clerk about it; he'll tell you, "Well, we can't gurantee that" (which begs the question: then why charge for it and not refund when what you paid for isn't accomplished).

It all depends on personnel, whether or not mail is being checked, holidays, cut hours, etc. A packaged mailed goes to your post office. Then a trucks pick up the mail two or three times a day and delivery it to a processing center to distribute it by counties and states. Then it is sent to another processing center in your state, which then sorts it by counties and arranges the mail in delivering order. Then it may or may not go to another processing center, before arriving at which ever postal location handles you address; each office handles mail for different section of a mid to large city.

Keep in mind you also are expecting hte package during a period where typically many deliveries from holiday ordering (what's that day called online where people order?) start arriving.

If you typically get your mail in a timely fashio, congratulations -- you've been very, very lucky.

FSM member (Maestro Sartori) did this:

I thought I'd whip up what hearing the separated cues from the track "In San Francisco" would sound like against their intended scenes.

Here's "Boarding a Bus": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Qf88xP5Ew

"In Chinatown": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62H8sK9gp0

"Nuclear Wessels": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI1PgKnMTww

"The Cetacean Institute": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSInAk1NWU8

"Mercy Hospital": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTmqOe2cLYg

"Nuclear Wessels" is blocked; claims it's block in my country, but I call bullshit; all the clips are from the same film. I think it's a flagged video because it has a key word like "nuclear" in it, awaiting staff viewing to make sure.

I have mixed feelings about them. I can certainly hear the TV-like scoring of it. But in a couple, I think it actually kind of works.

"The Cetacean Institute" actually, I feel, gives her characters a lovely more positive feeling. I think it actually hightened her.

Hearing that muted trumpet(?) doing the theme as McCoy passes the old lady in the hall in "Mercy Hospital", I think fits his cranky, but well meaning character.

What an interesting turn of events. In my mail box today there was a package. Wondering who it was from I took it out and saw the Intrada label on it. I was thinking, "Hmmm interesting, wonder if it's my original copy for Star Trek IV". I looked at the date stamped onto it and sure enough it said January 4th.

So feeling guilty about having this extra copy I emailed Intrada and asked them what to do with it. Basically asked if I should keep it or send it back to them. They wrote back saying for me to right "Refused - Return To Sender". I am heading to St. George tomorrow to get my iPhone replaced and while I'm out I'll stop by the post office and drop that off.

Of course IF they gave me the ok to keep it I would have sent it to someone.

I have to say, I've been enjoying this CD a lot.

In some ways, I think this has been very much a misjudged score.

It's different because of the film it was composed for, and I find myself listening to it more often that I thought I would.

I've always liked the OST so I'm really excited to get this, I hope they wont be gone when I get paid next week....!!

Welcoem to the club, Trent. ;-)

Now, next club to join, unless you've already joined, is the one where you check the mail box but it's emtpy and foot prints are leading away from it.

Yay, Trent! Enjoy it my friend!

I happen to think this is a marvelous score. It's crime against fanboyism is being so radically different from its predecessors. Frankly, by the end of STIII, I am a little tired of Horner's use of the Spock theme and the "B" theme, and the whole melancholy texture of it all. In that respect, I find Rosenman's score to be a breath of fresh air. I've also got to chuckle at accusations of it sounding too "Christmassy". The film was released around Thanksgiving in 1986, and I've always thought of it as a Holiday release. So for me, the use of chimes give it a nice celebratory feel. Good stuff!

Joe is right, any MAF title Intrada releases is unlimited.

What really bugged me about my package was the original should have only taken as long as the replacement took. I know I would have gotten the replacement on Monday if it had not been for MLK day.

As I said I've been getting packages from California and I've sent packages to California since I've been living here in Utah (2004). I know damn well how long it should take, even with first class mail.

People back east got theirs very quickly (within 2-3 days of Intrada sending them out) yet it took 13 days for my original to show up when as I said I damn well know it shouldn't have.

Tharp I know you say you're an ex-post office employee but I'm telling you from MY experience it should NOT have taken as long as it did for my original CD to show up from California. Especially since the replacement got here in the normal time frame the original SHOULD HAVE taken.

It was NOT the fault of Intrada. The damn post office really dropped the ball on the original package.

I've gotten packages from Intrada directly before as well as La-La Land, and SAE and all have always showed up in the 2-3 (max 4) day time frame. This was literally the first package to have taken this long and it should NOT have.

Sorry but I really get irritated when people think they know better...even if you're an ex-employee. I'm telling you from MY experience from sending and recieving packages out the same way for the last almost 8 years.