Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Yeah. And he added some stuff here and there.

The last couple of smaug scenes for instance weren't recorded to anything. It was recorded in stems and then reassembled in post.

That makes more sense I have to say. It would be more sensible to get Shore, Pope, and the NZSO back in the spring to do new music for the EE's. Obviously that isn't the primary concern here, but it doesn't help.

I think many people here alreatys suspected this:

@DougAdamsMusic: @kingdomoftheego Track Lists are set. I'm sure they'll be announced relatively soon.

https://twitter.com/dougadamsmusic/status/526015783504461824

Can't freaking wait!

It's gonna be awesome.

Yeah. And he added some stuff here and there.

The last couple of smaug scenes for instance weren't recorded to anything. It was recorded in stems and then reassembled in post.

Let him do that.

As long as I have the soundtrack, without overbloated and oversaturated scenes to distract me, I'll be fine.

I think many people here alreatys suspected this:

@DougAdamsMusic: @kingdomoftheego Track Lists are set. I'm sure they'll be announced relatively soon.

https://twitter.com/dougadamsmusic/status/526015783504461824

Can't freaking wait!

It's gonna be awesome.

I can't tell if this is just taking the piss, like most of the recent 'it's all awesome' posts.

Can't you smell the awesomeness?

I'd never take the piss when it comes to PJ's masterpieces. Never!

Um... Isn't the There and Back again text out of alignment with the The Hobbit Logo?

It isn't (but I knew someone would say that!). Actually, that's the thing. When I first made the cover, I aligned the subtitle according to the The Hobbit logo (I didn't use the "auto-alignement" option of Photoshop), but then, if you looked at the text "Music By Composed Howard Shore" below, you could see that the TABA subtitle wasn't aligned with that one, which is obviously centered (if you saved my previous version of the standard edition cover, you can see that relatively easily). So this time, I used the "auto-alignement" option, and voila, that's where TABA ended up.

Now, that being said, I agree that it does look like the subtitle isn't properly aligned with the Hobbit logo, but that's because of some kind of "optical illusion", because your eyes focus on the two lengthy vertical bars of the "H" and the "T", like on picture 1 (and in that regard, yes, the TABA subtitle isn't at the exact center between these two), but actually, they should be focusing on where the letter H "begins" and where the letter T "ends", like on picture 2 (and that's the point of reference you have to use to center the subtitle properly).

Picture 1

Test1.jpg

Picture 2

Test2.jpg

This was BloodBoal's educational minute of the day!

Thats not how the previous official special edition Soundtracks of had it!

65047_458472170855060_397938394_n.jpg

Hobbit2-soundtrack_special.jpg

I don't see the point in complaining about how bad TBOTFA might be before we've ever heard a note or seen the film. Why put out negative energy into the world instead of of positive?

If PJ does butcher Shore's intentions in the final cut, I'll be the first to complain about it, for sure! But why the preemptive negativity? What does it accomplish?

This is what I hate about Hobbit discussion. The almost relentless negativity. Damming even a film that hasn't been released yet.

I don't see the point in complaining about how bad TBOTFA might be before we've ever heard a note or seen the film. Why put out negative energy into the world instead of of positive?

If PJ does butcher Shore's intentions in the final cut, I'll be the first to complain about it, for sure! But why the preemptive negativity? What does it accomplish?

This is what I hate about Hobbit discussion. The almost relentless negativity. Damming even a film that hasn't been released yet.

Stefan, everything is awesome! Don't worry, be happy!

Yeah it's pretty terrible. Another nail to the Hobbit's overcrowded coffin.

I don't believe it actually looks like that in the film. At least if it does, it fits in with the rest of the film and so doesn't stick out like it does out of context here, sometimes I find the grading rather nice (they're not going for the realistic LOTR look but something more fantastical).

It doesn't look like that in film. That's just a poor quality shot, likely from a pirated source.

http://middleearthnews.com/2014/10/25/billy-boyd-on-the-last-goodbye/

It’s been about a week since we reported that Billy Boyd would co-write and perform the end-credits song, “The Last Goodbye”, for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies and it still seems too good to be true. It’s a wonderful way to conclude The Hobbit trilogy, to have this even bigger connection with The Lord of the Rings films.

In a press release from WaterTower Music they said, “It is hard, after 16 years and six films, to know exactly how to say goodbye. We knew that we wanted to speak directly to all those who have taken this journey with us, especially to the fans whose love of these films has so often kept us going.” It’s great that they’re so passionate about the fans, it definitely won’t be easy to say goodbye.

Now, what does Billy Boyd have to say about “The Last Goodbye”? “I wanted the song to be a goodbye to all the fans who have been part of this amazing journey and to the whole world of Tolkien as it has been told in the cinema for our generation.” Oh man, as if I wasn’t already going to be emotional during BOTFA.

The song will be written by Billy Boyd, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens.

You can read more from Entertainment Weekly‘s website here.

EDIT: Maybe there's actually nothing new there. Oh well, it's the only bit of news we have at the moment!

Howard's music is definitely the best part for me, hands down.

After that, I really enjoy McKellen's and Freeman's performances in a handful of scenes.

After that, it's the performances of Ken Stott as Balin and James Nesbitt as Bofur in a few scenes.

I wish any of the action / chase scenes were half as good as the Bridge of Kazad-Dum scene....

I wish any of the action / chase scenes were half as good as the Bridge of Kazad-Dum scene....

There simply isn't room for scenes as serious as that one in these films. We're mostly getting corny stuff here, i.e. boring villains like Azog who roar and fight, and well, that's pretty much it, elves randomly swooshing from one end of the screen to the other, every Lord of the Rings reference you could possibly imagine and so on, just because that's the blueprint for an epic film these days and Peter Jackson desperately wants to conform to it. If not, he'd cash in a lot less, I suppose.

In essence, this trilogy is one big caricature of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's reflected in the cinematography, the acting, the music, ... The biggest part of the audience expected more of the epic stuff from The Lord of the Rings, and that's what they're getting.

Ken Stott's performance floored me when he re-entered Erebor for the first time. He really sold that scene for me.

Ken Stott's performance is awesome! And I mean it!

Yeah he rocks. Best dwarf by a mile. Needs more screentime!

And somehow, I have a hard time believing that studios choose to "force" any major decisions considering the level of success PJ has had with these films.

Glóin is much better. He is the sensible one who endeavours to manage his funds with prudence.

+1

Good to see you are wearing your "everything is awesome" coloured glasses today.

Remember this is Warner, not New Line. I've no doubt they have a larger say in the matter, and Lily confirmed that the love triange was inserted at the studio's behest. I suspect there is a certain amount of give and take involved.

I have yet to be emotionally moved by the Hobbit films, other than by HS's music.

AUJ left me kind of cold when it comes to emotions caused by the film itself. It was great fun though.

Real emotion for me was two scenes in DoS, the first when Bilbo regains the ring in Mirkwood, and realises what it's doing to him, that was a great scene, and when the dwarves enter Erebor.

Both of those scenes are quite good indeed, but like Kuhni, I've yet to be truly moved by these films.

The major highlights are the "Riddles in the Dark" scene and the scenes between Bilbo and Smaug. Both are brilliant stuff, especially the former.

Martin Freeman needs more set pieces like to shine. He's the real gem behind this trilogy.

Remember this is Warner, not New Line. I've no doubt they have a larger say in the matter, and Lily confirmed that the love triange was inserted at the studio's behest. I suspect there is a certain amount of give and take involved.

Well, New Line was already part of Time Warner during LOTR. And Warner Bros. actually has a good reputation as a director-friendly studio. They don't seem to impose the way other studios do. I'm with KK, I doubt they've been strongarming Peter Jackson of all people into decisions he didn't want to make. Especially on these films.

We might hear it when Bard gets out of jail and reunites with his family or something. Other than that I dunno if there'll be an opportunity for it.

Didn't they cut even the snippet when we first see Bard's family in DoS? Could suggest that they didn't in the end choose to emphasize this relationship thematically. Or they could have indeed saved it for the last film. Only Shore knows.