"Foundations of Stone" or Analyzing the Two Towers CR

Faleel

Oh, I love that section of the score! Least enjoyable is the middle for me, all the traveling to Helm's Deep cues (apart from the Warg fight) and all the Arwen/Elrond/Galadriel stuff

Lost In Emyn Muil

The Lord of the Rings tactics has the theatrical version without the music for the EE scene of Frodo and Sam in the rain.

I'm confused; can you explain what the part that I underlined means?

I suppose it's a video game.

Yep, you're right.

Lost In Emyn Muil

The Lord of the Rings tactics has the theatrical version without the music for the EE scene of Frodo and Sam in the rain.

The CR has a hybrid of the film version and the early choral version at 1:26, the full early version can be found on the Rarities disc.

So, is the full film version without chorus unreleased?

I suppose it's a video game.

Yep, you're right.

Lost In Emyn Muil

The CR has a hybrid of the film version and the early choral version at 1:26, the full early version can be found on the Rarities disc.

So, is the full film version without chorus unreleased?

I don't know what you are referring to...

The CR track contains the complete film version, he just also stuffed the same bit of that alternate choral version in there he also put on the OST. He must really love that piece! We finally got the whole thing in the Rarities disc, so it's kinda unnecessary that he put it in the CR too.

We finally got the whole thing in the Rarities disc, so it's kinda unnecessary that he put it in the CR too.

Well, there were four years between the CR for T2T and the Rarities. That we got the piece 1.5 times might simply be because the Rarities were barely on the horizon in mid-2006 when HS et al. were working on the CR.

Mildly unrelated: is this set still discontinued? EDIT: It is. So are the two others. Hm.

Right, but since he already put that same choral bit on the OST, it was odd he put it in again in the CR. Goes against the general theory of the CRs, which otherwise just follows the film with one version of every cue along the way.

Sometimes I wish I just could sit Doug A. down, put a Guinness in front of him, and talk shop about the CRs. He did reveal bits and pieces of the process on his blog years back, but I don't know if this is all still there (EDIT: yep, it is). My favourite anecdote about the CRs is the following quote of HS regarding the DVD contained in the CRs: "So, nobody likes the rubber nub, huh?" :mrgreen:

Sometimes I wish I just could sit Doug A. down, put a Guinness in front of him, and talk shop about the CRs. He did reveal bits and pieces of the process on his blog years back, but I don't know if this is all still there (EDIT: yep, it is). My favourite anecdote about the CRs is the following quote of HS regarding the DVD contained in the CRs: "So, nobody likes the rubber nub, huh?" :mrgreen:

That was undoubtedly the worst editing decision on the CRs. Hands down!

As a big fan of Eowyn's themes, I really like the EE music for the soup scene.

It is fantastic piece of music, especially when it combines with the Gondor theme and I adore the transition to the Rivendell material. Simply gorgeous dramatic flow there.

I love the statement of Eowyn's theme in the CR track "Edoras" if I'm not mistaken it appears just after her conversation with Wormtongue (2:43)

Some fun stuff in this one. Lots of recutting in the first three reels!

Just curious, when the Three Hunters/Fangorn Scenes were all one sequence, how were the Isengard and Banishment of Eomer cues arranged?

• 4 weeks later...

Jim Ware, in The Eaves of Fangorn track on the Rarities archive, is the Isengard theme statement right after the "Valimar!" outburst actually the Theatrical version of Ugluk's Warriors?, or was it actually meant for the Night-camp battle? because it sounds EXACTLY the same as the Theatrical version of Ugluk's Warriors but with choir.

• 3 months later...

So, is the CR version of Faramir's Good Council an actual revised version, or just a film edit?

It kind of sounds like it.

Shore doesn't prefer the term "cue" when talking about his music for LotR. He uses the term "longer continous piece" or some such as he usually wrote his music in longer sections.

Then how should the word cue be used instead, and what should we use to replace it?

I know the word as the small notes that show what other instruments play while your part rests, which you can play at the conductor's discretion, and as the term that synchronizes effects with the action.

The term is technically inaccurate.

"longer continuous piece" is a meaningless phrase. Longer then what? Continuous???

The preferred terms are either 'piece' or 'suite'. A piece may not necessarily be continuous as there are often significant periods of silence between the constituent parts.

The term is technically inaccurate.

"longer continuous piece" is a meaningless phrase. Longer then what? Continuous???

The preferred terms are either 'piece' or 'suite'. A piece may not necessarily be continuous as there are often significant periods of silence between the constituent parts.

Wouldn't that suggest that pieces separated by silences are then separate pieces? Or does Shore like Korngold write so that these pieces separated by silences flow to each other, taking into consideration key changes etc?

Or does Shore like Korngold write so that these pieces separated by silences flow to each other, taking into consideration key changes etc?

That's the intention, although it didn't always work that way in practice due to post-production shuffling.

• 8 months later...

And now this one is finished for now, still some mysteries though for example:

Is the unused fellowship theme statement from the EE DVD Music Appendix an alternate for Elven Rope or The Entmoot Decides?

Why does 4:32 - 4:53 of "The Eaves of Fangorn" sound so much like the TE version of Ugluk's Warriors?

Is the film/CR version of Faramir's Good Council a film edit with the extra music heard on the OST being dialed out? or is the OST track an alternate?