Trumpet Concerto

JMan

Just purchased the london symph recording with Arturo Sandoval offline. Anyone have any comments about this piece?

Yes - it needed Sandoval to carry it off - and if you know his style, you'll know what I mean......

Good question. :) At the time of its release I had difficulty buying it (due to no visa card) and I was hoping to see this release in stores.

It's a nice piece (I would say that, though since I am a trumpeter). I found it more accessible than the cello concerto. That said, I have only heard it with the piano reduction and not the orchestra. I have avoided the recording because I don't want to hear Arturo Sandoval do classical.

It's a great piece, one of the concert works to which I return most often. I wish those numbskulls at Sony would get their acts together and issue the three brass concertos (trumpet, horn & tuba) on a single program -- while Williams is still in good enough health that he's able to conduct.

The trumpet concerto is a wonderful piece, and so is the Essay for Strings. The recording and production isn't great, though, and I don't care for Sandoval's rendition of the piece. Now, if it had been Michael Sachs or Tim Morrison...

Kevin Kaska's pieces are nice, but quite forgettable.

Because I find it very forgettable... It is well crafted, but not sufficiently lyrical (and it really aims to be a lyrical concerto). To be diplomatic, Kaska is a talented but somewhat "unfinished" composer, and not quite ready to "share the bill" with John Williams... His music is completely obliterated by the luminous company...

I bought the score for the trumpet concerto with a piano reduction, but I want the orchestra parts!!! Where can I get the full score and parts???

• 2 years later...

Just a heads-up that you can still order the Trumpet Concerto CD from the Denouement Records website (which hasn't been updated in a long while). I'd not postpone it any longer though, as Amazon lists it as discontinued. I've ordered it two or three weeks ago and it arrived very quickly (with the Ann Hobson Pilot CD as a bonus by the way, which also comes very recommended; that one also includes a recording of the harp piece from Angela's Ashes).

As Tim said, the Essay for Strings alone is already well worth the price.

Speaking as a trumpet player, I love Sandoval as a jazzer and as a latin trumpet player. Unfortunately, he plays "classical" works the same way he plays jazz/latin and it just doesn't work for me.

But, I want the recording anyways.

• 3 years later...

The Montreal Symphony Orchestra is scheduled to perform Williams' Trumpet Concerto on Friday, October 12, 2012.

Unfortunately this is a one-time morning concert, so I won't be able to hear it for myself.

http://www.osm.ca/en/index_concerts_concert.cfm?ID=647

• 5 years later...

I just listened to a live recording of The President's Own performing an excerpt (just the first movement I think) of the Trumpet Concerto in December 2016, lasting about 7.5 minutes.

It's very interesting listening to this piece transcribed for wind band.  The recording is not of the best quality, but the trumpet soloist comes through very clear and he plays beautifully.

I'm not sure it's available for purchase outside of directly through this vanity record label.  I'm listening to it on the Naxos Music Library service.

http://www.markcustom.com/Markcustom_new/Menu2_ViewAlbum.asp?CDNum=52619-MCD

Any word on when the Detroit Symphony version will be released? It's been a year or two since the recording...

I don't know!

But whoa, I just read this in the program notes for the Marine Band performance:

The original ending to the first movement of the concerto subsides and quietly segues into the second movement. Mr. Williams has composed a new coda for the first movement specifically for this concert by Mr. Hooten and the U.S. Marine Band. Today’s performance represents the world première of this new music, which will stand as an alternative ending for future performances of the first movement alone.

Williams composed a new ending for the first movement just last year for the Marine Band!  Good Lord the man works.

1 hour ago, curlytoot said:

Any word on when the Detroit Symphony version will be released? It's been a year or two since the recording...

I wish they would hurry up and get to concerti we haven't heard properly recorded yet (legally), like the viola concerto (heard in a viola/piano reduction) and the clarinet concerto.

I haven't really been happy with either of the recordings of the Trumpet Concerto.  Especially with the recording of the orchestra vs. the soloist, I find it very hard to hear many of the finer points of the performance of the ensemble.

I will say that's one thing I really like about the arrangement for wind band of that first movement, being able to better hear some of the subtleties.

Sort of.  Basically, he composed an alternate ending for the first movement if an ensemble wants to perform only that part of the concerto.  I don't know how you indicate that in the concert works listing on your website.  The original three movement concerto has not changed at all.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sort of.  Basically, he composed an alternate ending for the first movement if an ensemble wants to perform only that part of the concerto.  I don't know how you indicate that in the concert works listing on your website.  The original three movement concerto has not changed at all.

Well, for me it's like the italian concerto of Mendelssohn, it has a a revised movement also, I don't remember which movement. but I remember that Gardiner recorded the two versions of this particular movement. So when we listen it on the CD we can make a playlis and listen to the version of the concerto we like more. 

BTW if you aware of other revisions that are not on my website, just tell me! thanks. :-)

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, Disco Stu said:

I haven't really been happy with either of the recordings of the Trumpet Concerto.

I didn't think much of the concerto at all until I heard Harjanne's performance.  It opened the entire piece up for me.  I take nothing away from Sandoval's clear talent, but this concerto was just too much for the guy.  Just goes to show you what a performance can do to your opinion about the work itself.

Yes, I will say that the Norwegian (right?) soloist performance is far superior.  What's still missing for me is just being able to hear the backing orchestra as clearly as I'd like.  I hope the Detroit Symphony performance will do that!

Just for fun, not for real, a little recap of the two versions currently available on record.

p_809986100328.jpg

John Williams: Essay For Strings, Trumpet Concerto (2002, Denouement Records, 809986100328; Sandoval, Kaska, London SO/Feldman)

John Williams: Essay for Strings; Trumpet Concerto.

p_jjvcd118.jpg

John Williams, Arttu Sipilä: Concertos for Trumpet and Orchestra (2013, Pilfink Records, JJVCD-118; Harjanne, Finnish Radio SO/Ollikainen/Slobodeniouk)

John Williams: Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra.

Like it was said earlier, the version conducted by Slatkin is a long time coming!

Norwegian Øystein Baadsvik has performed and recorded he tuba concerto, though (with the Singapore Philharmonic).

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh no!  They're Finnish!  Not Norwegian!

How embarrassing.  I apologize to the nation of Finland.

Apology accepted on behalf of our Nordic nation.

12 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

I didn't think much of the concerto at all until I heard Harjanne's performance.  It opened the entire piece up for me.  I take nothing away from Sandoval's clear talent, but this concerto was just too much for the guy.  Just goes to show you what a performance can do to your opinion about the work itself.

Ditto.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Norwegian Øystein Baadsvik has performed and recorded he tuba concerto, though (with the Singapore Philharmonic).

And it is a fine performance indeed.

The concerto was performed in Finland a few years ago and I have to say that the live performance really opened up the whole piece for me, especially the second slow movement which I now love to bits.

I loved the Trumpet Concerto since I first heard the Sandoval recording. Never really enjoyed his performance though.

I would have to say that, from what I heard of the Detroit performance, I think I'll keep the Harajanne performance and the one to go to.

My favorite recording of the Tuba Concerto is the one by Baadsvik, with Velvet Brown's being a close second.

What's the problem everyone has with the Sandoval? It's the only one I have, and I've never had any issues with it.

On 5/9/2017 at 3:22 PM, curlytoot said:

I just found a video online of the Detroit performance of the Trumpet Concerto (apologies if this has been posted already, it's new to me!)

http://site-323590.bcvp0rtal.com/detail/videos/new-on-dso-replay/video/4717172146001/john-williams-trumpet-concerto?autoStart=true

In all honesty, the soloist doesn't seem to appreciate the composition's difficulty. At least not from the look of it;).

Whoever does the video for the Detroit Symphony didn't do their homework properly; they inserted the movement titles from the Kevin Kaska Harp Concerto which shares the Denouement Records CD with JW's trumpet concerto.

On 5/12/2017 at 1:58 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

I loved the Trumpet Concerto since I first heard the Sandoval recording. Never really enjoyed his performance though.

I would have to say that, from what I heard of the Detroit performance, I think I'll keep the Harajanne performance and the one to go to.

After hearing and seeing the Detroit performance, I have to agree with Miguel.  The playing of the Detroit soloist (Hunter Eberly) wasn't very clean.  He hit all of the notes, but cracked more than a few high notes and his slurs were a bit messy.  He knew it too, I think; he didn't look very pleased at the end of it all.  The Harjanne is still #1.

On another note, this website, DSO Replay, is incredible.  There must be dozens if not hundreds of hi-res, full-length videos of the orchestra!  The Trumpet Concerto is the only Williams piece but one could get lost for hours in here watching all of these!

8 hours ago, Matt S. said:

After hearing and seeing the Detroit performance, I have to agree with Miguel.  The playing of the Detroit soloist (Hunter Eberly) wasn't very clean.  He hit all of the notes, but cracked more than a few high notes and his slurs were a bit messy.

So this is probably why the recording has not been released yet and will probably not.

Any Trumpet in the room?

• 3 months later...

I personally really enjoyed the performance in the video of the Detroit Symphony.

I sent an email to the DSO this morning to inquire if a release is planned.  Probably not, but I figure it's worth asking.

I have both CD's: Denouement Records (2002) and the Pilfink Records (2013) and have to admit that I definitely prefer the latter. First of all, because the sound or of the Jouko Harjanne's trumpet is much more pleasant to the ear than Arturo Sandoval's, at least in this composition. It's a bit warmer, and less cracking (I'm not sure if that's the right word). But Denouement Records contains fantastic Essay for Strings and is therefore absolutely essential.

5 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

I have both CD's: Denouement Records (2002) and the Pilfink Records (2013) and have to admit that I definitely prefer the latter. First of all, because the sound or of the Jouko Harjanne's trumpet is much more pleasant to the ear than Arturo Sandoval's, at least in this composition. It's a bit warmer, and less cracking (I'm not sure if that's the right word). But Denouement Records contains fantastic Essay for Strings and is therefore absolutely essential.

Agreed on all accounts.