The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

Umm.... I need to know about the context of this sentence.

Karol

As do I; a friend showed it to me last night. It comes off really pretentious, but since Nolan is far from that type of person, I imagine he means "big" in an innovative technique sort of way or something. Did he film this entirely in IMAX or did he only do specific scenes again?

Woah, one third is more than specific scenes. I pasted this off an article found from a quick Google search:

Nolan invoking the silent era in a discussion about a Batman film is about as surreal as it gets. He also had some interesting things to say about the tone of the film:

It’s all about historical epics in conception. It’s a war film. It’s a revolutionary epic. It’s looking back to the grand-scale epics of the past, really, and for me that goes as far back as silent films. I’ve been watching a lot of silent films with my kids on Blu-ray. We’ve shot over a third of the movie on the IMAX format, and that naturally puts you more in the mode of staging very large events for the camera. (…) There’s an attempt to visualise certain things in this film on this large scale that are troubling and genuinely to the idea of an American city. Or, to put it another way: revolutions and the destabilising of society have happened everywhere in the world, so why not here?

Nolan claims he used approximately 11,000 extras for the film, hence the claim that this is the biggest film since the silent era.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm staying away from any more video from here on out. I was thankfully warned that one of the TV spots (#6, as I recall) has a pretty major spoiler. Even if that trailer doesn't have any big spoilers, I've seen enough, I know I'm gonna see the film, and I want to experience as much of this film fresh as I possibly can.

I'm staying away from any more video from here on out. I was thankfully warned that one of the TV spots (#6, as I recall) has a pretty major spoiler. Even if that trailer doesn't have any big spoilers, I've seen enough, I know I'm gonna see the film, and I want to experience as much of this film fresh as I possibly can.

A wise pursuit, but I don't think I'll be doing the same. For me, anything officially released by WB is fair game. I will be avoiding spoilers as much as possible, though.

I think the Prometheus spoilage (which I also missed, thankfully) has me on the defense with studio-released material. And if there's a major film coming out that I don't want spoiled, it's definitely this one.

Most of these trailers look the same to me. There was only one that called my attention, the sad one.

The one with the boy singing the national anthem?

I think the Prometheus spoilage (which I also missed, thankfully) has me on the defense with studio-released material. And if there's a major film coming out that I don't want spoiled, it's definitely this one.

That did get a bit ridiculous, yeah. Hopefully that doesn't happen with this marketing campaign.

I only saw the first two, and the second only because it was in front of The Avengers. Like Delorean, I want to experience it, not be like "Oooh, this is the part from that trailer!"

The second trailer of Prometheus pretty much showed the whole film and its climax. Good thing I only saw it once (in front of Avengers, again) and forgot most of it.

Compared to The Dark Knight, these trailers are horribly assembled. Dark Knight's trailer made that flick look seriously epic and I'm not a big fan of that flick. I also don't toss the word epic around all that much. It could be due to the source material this time around.

Bane looks like a horrendous villain, but then I feel he always has been. I don't care who they get to play him, it's an awful character. Certainly not one of the classic Batman villains.

Catwoman looks, as Donald Trump would put it, like a complete and total disaster. Maybe they just chose the wrong clips to show and this could actually be good? Every line is cringe-inducing.

Perhaps this will be another bad threequel. There's nothing in particular that makes me want to see this other than the fact that it's another Batman movie.

Did you not like Bane's usage in the Knightfall arc?

Personally, I think there's a lot of potential here, and I'm liking the dynamic that's being set up. I'm actually the reverse--this seems much more epic to me in just about every way than TDK did.

This film looks like it fits the description of a true epic. It looks massive in every sense of the word and definitely looks a lot bigger than its predecessors. I'm really excited for this film.

My only worry (a slight one at that) is this film will end up being too big and fail to hold everything together...we'll see.

Wow, you've got a good point. Can't think of any sexy moments in any of his films at all!

In a word when mature fims and television are equated with sex (go figure) it doesn't bother me one bit. And it can be very refreshing after things like Game of Thrones, that feature loads of sex for no reason whatsoever.

Karol

Wow, you've got a good point. Can't think of any sexy moments in any of his films at all!

Great point -- that's why he cast Katie Holmes and Jake Gyllenhaal in a skirt as the same character in the first two Batman reboots. Ugh.

Bale had no chemistry either of them, and all he does with either is make out briefly anyway. For all we know, Nolan's Bruce Wayne is a virgin!

Nolan films don't need sexy moments. Plus such moments don't fit in his kind of tense storytelling that grows and grows.

Many storytellers feel the need to stablish the main character as sexually active, but in many occasions I don't see the point.

I predict the scenes with Batman and Catwoman will rely mainly in some sort of funny interplay bewteen them.

I'm staying away from any more video from here on out. I was thankfully warned that one of the TV spots (#6, as I recall) has a pretty major spoiler.

I saw that spot... nothing really spoilery about that. If you're referring to one specific scene, it could be anywhere in the film. The context isn't clear on it.

I predict the scenes with Batman and Catwoman will rely mainly in some sort of funny interplay bewteen them.

It comes to my mind some scenes between Batman and Catwoman in Batman Returns, I think it's the same thing that you say.

BTW, I like your new avatar, Chaac.

I never watched the spot, but someone said there was a spoiler that's supposed to be from a scene near the end of the film. I don't have any idea what it would be. That could be bogus, but I'm not taking any chances.

It comes to my mind some scenes between Batman and Catwoman in Batman Returns, I think it's the same thing that you say.

BTW, I like your new avatar, Chaac.

I think they'll distrust each other at first and later they'll join forces.

(I was reading about Germanic cultures tonight and I thought about Rohan xDD)

I never watched the spot, but someone said there was a spoiler that's supposed to be from a scene near the end of the film. I don't have any idea what it would be. That could be bogus, but I'm not taking any chances.

More soundtrack samples:

http://www.superhero...ght-rises-score

Taking the music for what it is so far, "Mind If I Cut In" and "The Fire Rises" seem to be standouts so far. I also like some of the electronic colors he's using, particularly the distant, airy treatment of the minor third motive in "On Thin Ice." Also, just got to "Fear Will Find You," and it's nice to hear some trumpet action in there.

We're discussing the score over in this thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21834