Sony is re-issuing the Home Alone OST on October 23rd

Jay

Does anyone know how much is missing from Close Encounters? Is it much?

Definitely not much. The Arista 1996 expanded version is just an inch from being complete. It's missing a couple of cues, plus a few source cues if I remember right.

Of course a new definitive presentation would be more than welcome, especially in terms of sequencing, liner notes, inclusion of some of the original LP edited tracks and new mastering (even though the Arista still sounds quite good to my ears).

Yes, CE3K deserves a fully complete 2CD set with the complete score on disc 1, and the whole LP on disc 2, followed by alternates and source cues.

As much as i hate that Arista digipak, i hardly listen to CEOTK so i'll pass. The old 40-minute release is enough for me but that had tons of bad edits so if they clear those up...maybe.

• 1 month later...

I received my re-issue in the mail on Friday.

The Amazon listing is wrong; Tracks 15 and 17 are titled identically to how they were on the original OST, not what the Amazon listing says.

The back cover is completely different than the old back cover.

Haven't opened it yet.

You got it two days ago, and you haven't opened it yet?

It came in Friday's mail, but I didn't actually open the package until a few minutes before I typed that post. Then before taking the shrinkwrap off the CD inside, I decided to go to bed.

You got it two days ago, and you haven't opened it yet?

It came in Friday's mail, but I didn't actually open the package until a few minutes before I typed that post. Then before taking the shrinkwrap off the CD inside, I decided to go to bed.

So these days you don't just have huge piles of unopened CDs, but also piles of unopened packages? :P

Here are pics of the new release

post-50-0-80564000-1445897033.jpg

post-50-0-02747300-1445897030.jpg

post-50-0-90626100-1445897024.jpg

Yes, the picture of Kevin with his hands on his face appears 4 times!

Here are pics of the new release

I don't understand why you bought it.

Don't you have the expanded one?

Not to mention the new expanded one that is probably coming.

Unless, you wanted it for the songs?

I love that rendition of Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

Or he is a collector like with bottlecaps? ;)

Well, I haven't gathered until now that he is a collector who wants both OST and expanded of a score, especially when the OST doesn't offer any new/alternate cues of the score. (like eg. the Jaws album does)

I like to have both the albums and expanded versions. In the case of, say, Star Wars, for instance, you need the original album, the Anthology and the Special Edition. One is how Williams intended it to be heard outside of the film and it's basically flawless, one is a remastered/expanded re-ordered version from the best release of the Star Wars scores and one is the complete chronological score as heard in the film. Now, I'd never get this version of Home Alone since I have the OST and the complete score, which is all you need. It's not like this could improve on the sound quality. So, no point.

I like to have the OST and the "best" expansion. I don't sweat not having the Varese Club "Home Alone 2," for instance, since LLL's has everything on that and more. But if someone releases another Home Alone 2 with more music somehow, I'd trade up.

I would never get rid of any John Williams CD I have, even when an expansion comes out that makes it meaningless. On the other hand, I wouldn't seek out an OST I didn't have if I already have an expansion. IE, I wouldn't buy Rosewood OST if all I had was the Rosewood LLL. Oh wait, I did that. Well, I won't buy the Jaws 2 OST after the Intrada Jaws 2 comes out, cause it costs like $100 on the secondary market.

I first owned the 1995 CD of Raiders, but I went out of my way to acquire the original album on CD because that's the way Williams intended it to be experienced outside the film. It is a fantastic album running for like 40 minutes or whatever. It's only with modern CD album releases of the Star Wars Prequels or Harry Potter that I never listen to the OST anymore and opt for expanded/complete versions. I regularly switch it up and do the old album versions, expandeds and complete bootlegs. Wait, can we still talk about bootlegs here??

I first owned the 1995 CD of Raiders, but I went out of my way to acquire the original album on CD because that's the way Williams intended it to be experienced outside the film. It is a fantastic album running for like 40 minutes or whatever. It's only with modern CD album releases of the Star Wars Prequels or Harry Potter that I never listen to the OST anymore and opt for expanded/complete versions. I regularly switch it up and do the old album versions, expandeds and complete bootlegs. Wait, can we still talk about bootlegs here??

After acquiring so many expanded CDs, I wanted to seek out the OSTs because some of them not only have more interesting edits, they might even have better sound quality.

And even if they don't, like the Polydor Star Wars, they're still fun and interesting to listen to. In fact, I've grown to like the degraded and archival sound on the 2-CD Polydor. It has that old Star Warsy feel that I remember from my 80s video tapes of the movies.

And then there's ROTJ, an OST that I've gravitated toward like ET. Also did you see what Roelof wrote on Facebook about the ET and Close Encounters OSTs? He reckons they're too hissy? I wonder if he's ever actually listened to them and just dismisses older CDs as antiques loaded with hiss and distracting analogue artifacts by default?