What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

nightmarish hell

Isn't that a tautology, like wet water?

It's only a tautology if there exists a dreamy hell in comparison.

I think you meant to say "isn't that a redundancy"...

Koray, you gotta see Pasolini's Salo! That's nightmarish, and the worst part is that it actually happened. Now that's frightening.

I've heard of it but never had the desire to seek it out. I'll keep it in mind.

nightmarish hell

Maybe, but depending on how you interpret the film, hell could be the setting and not an adjective ;)

I can understand not liking Trier's explicit style, but there's a load of people calling this film mysoginistic and it's the complete opposite.

Let Me In was a surprisingly good US remake of a recent film foreign film, but Let the Right One In is definitely better. I would say add 25%.

Soderqvist's score is much better than Giacchino's. The English dub for Let the Right One In was decently done, and I'm not a huge fan of English dubs for live action foreign movies. Especially since a lot tend to be poorly done.

Koray, you gotta see Pasolini's Salo! That's nightmarish, and the worst part is that it actually happened. Now that's frightening.

Did it happen? I thought it was just an update on The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade.

I've heard of it but never had the desire to seek it out. I'll keep it in mind.

You can watch the english dub on YouTube for free.

I think Dogville did several things very well. Mainly, I loved how the perspective changed from 'idealistic' to 'hell' and how 'lines' became 'sets'.

thumbnailImage_zpsf359f3bc.png

And the photography, of course.

BTW, I try not to see it as a true representation of provincial mentality in America.

Alex

I've been rolling through my Criterion BD of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. If the humour in this movie doesn't tickle your funny bone, you have to respect its ambition and perhaps acknowledge it as one of the greatest road movies of all time.

Despite its absurd length, it doesn't feel that long. I'd say it's the ultimate feelgood movie next to The Great Race. The 200 minute "roadshow" version is an interesting historical curiosity but I feel the general release version says just as much without losing any important story elements. In fact I think it's superior because its big reveal about Spencer Tracy's true motive doesn't become apparent until much later.

Did it happen? I thought it was just an update on The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade.

At least from what I know, a lot of it actually happened during the Italian dictatorship of those years.

Deep.

Saw the opening too. Looks pretentious as hell.

Have you seen other flicks by this fella?

I haven't. Should I? Nymphomaniac looks similar in vein too.

Did you enjoy the Antichrist?

The prologue isn't too bad actually, and has some gorgeous shots too. It just seems very excessive (from the sex, to the music, to the deliberately painful pace). That paired along with the talking fox, just has an air of pretentiousness around it.

But that's not so much what outs me off. From what I heard, the majority of the film is just needlessly brutal and graphic. I was never a fan of that kind of stuff and can't picture putting myself through that torment.

And someone spilled the ending to me, and it all just seemed a bit much.

I've been rolling through my Criterion BD of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. If the humour in this movie doesn't tickle your funny bone, you have to respect its ambition and perhaps acknowledge it as one of the greatest road movies of all time.

Despite its absurd length, it doesn't feel that long. I'd say it's the ultimate feelgood movie next to The Great Race. The 200 minute "roadshow" version is an interesting historical curiosity but I feel the general release version says just as much without losing any important story elements. In fact I think it's superior because its big reveal about Spencer Tracy's true motive doesn't become apparent until much later.

Fabulous film.

Only mildly. I remember a strong Tarkovsky influence but overall I didn't believe what Von Trier was telling. You have to go along with it, and if that doesn't happen, then there is very little to experience.

Only mildly. I remember a strong Tarkovsky influence but overall I didn't believe what Von Trier was telling. You have to go along with it, and if that doesn't happen, then there is very little to experience.

Yeah there is, he dedicates the film to him at the end. I agree about going along with it. You have to give yourself up as a conditioned audience member to be able to go with the experience. Whether it is ultimately good or bad is not the point, for me. I'm just glad I was able to witness an entirely unique form of filmmaking. Love directors that do things for themselves and not for an audience.

I understand why people hate this movie (as I used to be one of those people) but I've come to appreciate it more and more over the years. It's one of the few recent blockbusters where I actually feel invested in what's going on (especially in the wonderful final action sequence). And James Horner's score is, in my opinion, one of the best film scores of recent years.

8/10

I understand why people hate this movie (as I used to be one of those people) but I've come to appreciate it more and more over the years. It's one of the few recent blockbusters where I actually feel invested in what's going on (especially in the wonderful final action sequence). And James Horner's score is, in my opinion, one of the best film scores of recent years.

8/10

It's a visually stunning piece to say the least (I was there for the 3D midnight release), and the exotic world and characters are quite imaginative.

On the other hand, the human characters are two-dimensional (especially the antagonist) and the plot is well worn.

6/10

I also found the world quite unimaginative. With those world-building tools at their disposal, and the best they could come up with was essentialy a Terran rainforest?

If you're going to provide a critique for the same film I'm critiquing,

please don't reword my words. It's even more unimaginative than the exotic worlds of Pandora.

nightmarish hell

It's only a tautology if there exists a dreamy hell in comparison.

That's exactly what would prevent it from being a tautology...

A more specific term is pleonasm though.

If you're going to provide a critique for the same film I'm critiquing, please don't reword my words. It's even more unimaginative than the exotic worlds of Pandora.

And lacking in academic integrity, right?

More like lacking in intellectual honesty.

Oy! It wasn't plagiarism, it was an homage!

arsenic-and-old-lace1.jpg

2nd time i saw this.

I really believe this B&W black comedy should be a Halloween Tradition film or symbol like It's a Wonderful Life is for Christmas (although I don't completely agree about that).

It's delightful, great script and performance by Cary Grant and of course the old ladies!

Red State (2011)

from Kevin Smith, starring Michael Parks, John Goodman and Melissa Leo.

Boy this was another surprise. Netflix continues to do that to me. Excellent !

Parks steals the show as a religious cult leader, anti-gay church preacher and a 100% certified nutcase. He always does these offbeat characters and he sure seems comfortable with it. :)

John Goodman is the government agent that is supposed to stop him and his cult of crazy a-holes.

Quite a bit of WTF moments, and a grim tone, but the script is witty and by the time the credits roll by, I could put a big smile on my face for such a wonderfully unconventional thriller in that typical Smith fashion.

I haven't seen too many Smith flicks, Dogma is one (long ago). So I can't compare with his other work.

I just didn't expect much from Red State, but it turned out more entertaining than I thought.