New version of THE TOWERING INFERNO coming!?!

Jay

I REALLY want all those old MCA LPs - Dracula, Jaws 2, Eiger Sanction, and Earthquake - to be re-issued on CD - expanded or not. Those are the only other JW OSTs I don't have besides TTI!

Come on Varese, give the fans what they want!

Was just listening to the Disaster Movie Suite arranged by Mancini which contains the theme to Towering Inferno.

Can't believe how good was old film music and how it turned out today..

The harmonies, the texture...

That's kind of insulting. You do realize it's from his great 74 to 84 period.

Wow who would figure John in his prime could write harmonies and have texture to his music. This calls for a V-8.

What?? :P

Of course I didn't mean HIS music (how bad it turned out), I meant generally film music!

film music of the era was better than film music of this era, so still an insult.
He's agreeing with you. He's saying that The Towering Inferno is really good and that he misses that kind of writing compared to what's being written today.

yes, exactly that!

Joey confused me with his posts.. :blink:

I don't understand what he thought I was saying..

Was just listening to the Disaster Movie Suite arranged by Mancini which contains the theme to Towering Inferno.

Can't believe how good was old film music and how it turned out today..

The harmonies, the texture...

That's kind of insulting. You do realize it's from his great 74 to 84 period.

Wow who would figure John in his prime could write harmonies and have texture to his music. This calls for a V-8.

What?? :P

Of course I didn't mean HIS music (how bad it turned out), I meant generally film music!

film music of the era was better than film music of this era, so still an insult.
He's agreeing with you. He's saying that The Towering Inferno is really good and that he misses that kind of writing compared to what's being written today.
No he's not he surprised to find the music of that era so good. That is a back handed compliment. How is that not obvious to you? The Pubci should refrain from giving his opinions

The Towering Inferno is a great score. A must have. I thank Stefan for letting me know back in 2001.

No he's not he surprised to find the music of that era so good. That is a back handed compliment. How is that not obvious to you? The Pubci should refrain from giving his opinions

No, I'm not.

i already said, i meant exactly the thing that Koray said.

maybe I didn't put it right, English not being my native language.

Don't worry Konstantinos, I have no freaking idea what Joey was trying to say. I knew what you meant.

You don't have to fluent in English to understand his surprise that music from that era was good.

Only on opposite day Jason.

He wasn't surprised, though, Joey, that's the whole point! Music from that period is his favorite film music. He doesn't like modern film music, or even watch modern films! He loves music from that era, and just was re-expressing his joy about how good it is.

Well I do think he's still undergoing a period of discovery. He has so much to explore. And I'm not really trying to be mean. He above all posters here seems to have fearless drive. He even actively wants to watch black and white films. He's as pure a film lover as there is.

He wasn't surprised, though, Joey, that's the whole point! Music from that period is his favorite film music. He doesn't like modern film music, or even watch modern films! He loves music from that era, and just was re-expressing his joy about how good it is.

Exactly! :)

Well I do think he's still undergoing a period of discovery. He has so much to explore. And I'm not really trying to be mean. He above all posters here seems to have fearless drive. He even actively wants to watch black and white films. He's as pure a film lover as there is.

Why, thank you.. (I think) :unsure:

It is a compliment. But don't be afraid of new movies. There are fresh films from every decade. However some decades are more accessible to some than others.

I own the OST LP and the FSM re-release . . . and I would still welcome another release with open arms. This is one of the man's great works. If there's music still to be heard, hurry up and get it out there!

I REALLY want all those old MCA LPs - Dracula, Jaws 2, Eiger Sanction, and Earthquake - to be re-issued on CD - expanded or not. Those are the only other JW OSTs I don't have besides TTI!

My thoughts exactly—except for not having them on OST. I own them all, but they need good CD releases (expanded, if possible). Seems silly to some folks that we should want all this extra music, I guess, but for those of us who were collecting back in the days of the OST droughts it's still easy to get drunk with this new access to everything we never used to have.

It is a compliment. But don't be afraid of new movies. There are fresh films from every decade. However some decades are more accessible to some than others.

Just every time I try, I get dissapointed. (of course there are some exceptions that I found great films but those are very few considering)

well, ok, maybe there are good movies, and it's just a matter of aesthetics in the end.

Just like one likes and listens to pop music and he can stand classical music.

In that regard I like old films and prefer their aesthetics.

I don't like CGI, I don't like digital, I don't like drone and unsophisticated music, so there you are.

My preferences towards the old are logical..

This is a reissue that's actually necessary. It's never been widely available on CD.

It seems like the labels have been scraping the bottom of the barrel with most Williams reissues in recent years (Jane Eyre, Witches of Eastwick, Not With My Wife, You Don't: The Even More Useless Volume, Home Alone 2: The Same Exact Thing That Took a Decade To Sell Out Edition, etc.) while scores that actually SHOULD be released are locked away in some vault.

Please. You're complete ignoring amazing releases like Home Alone, 1941, Hook, Rosewood, Empire of the Sun, Amazing Stories, Black Sunday, Family Plot, Midway, etc. And I welcome any straight up re-issue when the original is OOP; It always fans who missed the earlier version to own a great score in their collection.

Look: It's not like the labels don't want to release the same Williams expansions we all want, but a lot of them can't come out because of studio politics and/or Williams not wanting them to. It's not the labels fault.

yeah, Jay is right, we've been spoiled with Williams in the past few years (officially + leaked sessions +rare recordings of fanfares we had never heard) .It's always the same old stuff (Indy, Potter,Star Wars) that remains inaccessible or have botched releases

But there was a time in the early 2000's when they'd release only Goldsmith stuff and E.T. and Elliot's assessment was accurate

It seems like the labels have been scraping the bottom of the barrel with most Williams reissues in recent years (Jane Eyre, Witches of Eastwick, Not With My Wife, You Don't: The Even More Useless Volume, Home Alone 2: The Same Exact Thing That Took a Decade To Sell Out Edition, etc.) while scores that actually SHOULD be released are locked away in some vault.

:eh:

Jane Eyre and The Witches of Eastwick are the bottom of the barrel?

Did you even read what the guy wrote, man?

Yes, I realize that he wasn't saying that they're terrible scores but I still think that they are worthy of reissuing. In fact, I prefer those two scores to The Towering Inferno (from what I've heard in the film)

Did you even read what the guy wrote, man?

I think they should release and re-release only Indy, Star Wars, Superman and Harry Potters over and over and over again so that the major part of Williams fandom would be happy. Focus on those and forget the rest. It is all bland mediocrity anyway.

I think they should release and re-release only Indy, Star Wars, Superman and Harry Potters over and over and over again so that the major part of Williams fandom would be happy.

They should re-release Jurassic Park as well ;)

True, we were "spoiled" in the last decade, but things have dried up in the last couple years. It's mostly been reissues of scores that were already reissued or are less desirable while the same old scores get the shaft. Universal/Varese scores? What the hell? Is it like illegal to reissue Jaws 2, Earthquake, Dracula, which sound like crap on CDs that have been out of print for decades? Also, all the massive franchises that have billions of fan following like Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Harry Potter.

The original LP release is being re-issued for digital download. Is the original LP re-recordings of selections from the score done by the Maestro himself?

I don't understand your question, you worded it weird.

The original 1974 LP is the same recordings used in the film. The new re-issue is the same as the 1974 LP.

I don't understand your question, you worded it weird.

The original 1974 LP is the same recordings used in the film. The new re-issue is the same as the 1974 LP.

Sorry. I new the original LP is the same as this new re-issue. I was asking if the LP was a re-recording of selections from the score, done by John Williams.

Really? I compared the Main Titles on both this and the FSM release. They sound different. It is like night and day.

I know it is the same recording; the two releases sound different though.

I know it is the same recording; the two releases sound different though.

The sound quality between the two releases are like night and day.

FSM did a great job.

Is this re-issue of the 1974 LP remastered by any chance?

The strings seem too prominent on the LP; then again, I only listened to the Main Title.

• 1 month later...

I just thought that I'd mention this, but...happy birthday to "The Towering Inferno", a whopping 40 years-old, this coming Saturday!

It was released exactly 4 weeks after "Earthquake".

Any JWfaners remember the first time they saw this movie?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember the first time specifically, but it was a T.V. staple when I was a kid. It introduced me to the disaster film genre. There was a period of 5 or 6 years in there when I didn't watch it at all; then I picked up a VHS copy early in my score collecting days. The opening title sequence blew me away. Not the graphics, of course, but the theme music, which I'd only vaguely remembered. I recall being struck by the choice in tone: here was a movie about a burning building killing a bunch of people, but the music gave it the feel of a grand adventure. It drew you in immediately and made you want to watch more.

These days, the movie itself isn't any more important to me than its music. The last JW score before the dawn of his Golden Age was a terrific way to open the curtain.

is it bad that I've never seen The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, or Earthquake?

I haven't seen them either. Never knew they were really worth watching.

They probably wouldn't be to younger ones like us... I think those who like them first saw them in the theaters when they were new movies