New Force Awakens TV Spot - new Williams score?

King Mark

• 3 weeks later...

The music at the beginning of the Korean TV spot is beautiful..I wonder if it's Williams (with synth stuff ovelays). If it's Williams I hope it's part of an awesome choral cue

Not Jablonsky after all...

"Flux (extended)" (Hi-Finesse)

[Credit to user "spartan710" at the Adtunes Forums]

Also used in the Fantastic Four trailer

Well, it might not be Jablonsky after all but christ, if ever someone had a case for sueing for being ripped off! Manages to rip off The Island and Transformers in one fell swoop.

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't sound like anything I'd expect from Williams.

Agreed, because Williams started to NOT sound like Williams when he scored the prequel trilogy.

Case in point: Anakins Theme.

This should have been every bit as uncluttered and powerful as any theme that John Williams has ever written, but it just sounds like too many ideas in search of a theme and it ultimately goes nowhere.

And since we know what Anakin is going to eventually turn into, that "wink-wink" insertion of the Imperial March at the end is just nothing but trite.

Think I'm wrong?

Listen to Princess Leia's Theme again for the first time.

These are desperate times indeed.

Things will probably be even more desperate come the 18th of December.

Just listen to Anakin's Theme on loop. It's so cluttered, unpowerful and trite that your brain will reboot and erase all Star Wars music files in an attempt to solve the problem.

You'll get to listen to all of your old favorites that you won't remember, like Han and Leia's non-existent love theme and Augie's Great Municipal Band.

"Anakin's Theme" is a Concert/End Credits piece, a musical representation of Anakin's journey from young boy, to Jedi hero, and finally to Darth Vader, "Princess Leia's theme" is pretty music to describe a love interest

Big difference.

"Anakin's Theme" is a Concert/End Credits piece, a musical representation of Anakin's journey from young boy, to Jedi, and finally to Darth Vader, "Princess Leia's theme" is pretty music to describe a love interest

Big difference.

Agreed. But that doesn't detract from the fact that Princess Leia's Theme is vastly superior to Anakin's Theme.

"Anakin's Theme" is a Concert/End Credits piece, a musical representation of Anakin's journey from young boy, to Jedi, and finally to Darth Vader, "Princess Leia's theme" is pretty music to describe a love interest

Big difference.

I don't hear much of the Jedi Anakin in there. It most of all conveys a sweet innocence of the character and the underlying chance of his fall in that not so subtle quote of Imperial March. Across the Stars brings in the element of darkness to Anakin and his journey to the dark side is caused by his love.

yoda.jpg

Only superior in your mind.

I'm sure it's not only in my mind ;)

Where else is it?

Big difference.

I don't hear much of the Jedi Anakin in there.

That's in the B section with its relation to the Main Title/Luke's theme, almost seeming to be telling of heroic deeds.

I can't quite hear it. Williams was going for the de-construction of the Imperial March to something innocent and sweet for the young boy. I doubt his intentions at the time of the writing were to reflect the later Jedi in Anakin. I am not saying it could not have become something like that but alas it was abandoned as a major path of thematic development, again perhaps because it was so sweet and not fit for moody adolescent Anakin.

not fit for moody adolescent Anakin.

I said Jedi, not almost Sith whiney Hayden Christensen ;)

We never get to see anything else. ;)

And we never see a beautiful love story in AOTC either ;)

Still my point stands. Theme for Anakin is just for the young child not describing the whole arc of the character. But of course that is only how I see it. Interpretations may wary.

At the time it did seem like we would get an evolved version of the theme in the next film, reflecting the character change towards the Dark Side, but it never happened.

Yes sadly it was dropped. By its usage in the sequels it is strongly seen as tied to Anakin's childhood as it is only referenced when younger Anakin's childhood is mentioned in AOTC and when the little wood carving he made for Padme is seen in ROTS.

One of the great downsides to the prequel trilogy music is the lack of development of any of the new themes, really. Anakin's is a terrific missed opportunity. It was basically shuffled off.

Yes many of them are isolated to a single film only by the necessity of plot points to which they are tied being discarded in one way or the other. There are not many constant enduring elements with thematic significance in the Prequels really that would have a larger 3 movie musical arc.

yoda.jpg

Only superior in your mind.

I'm sure it's not only in my mind ;)

Where else is it?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25655

That's still the opinions of minds.

And we never see a beautiful love story in AOTC either ;)

Still my point stands. Theme for Anakin is just for the young child not describing the whole arc of the character.

Then why does it have the Imperial March? ;)

One of the great downsides to the prequel trilogy music is the lack of development of any of the new themes, really. Anakin's is a terrific missed opportunity. It was basically shuffled off.

Yes many of them are isolated to a single film only by the necessity of plot points to which they are tied being discarded in one way or the other. There are not many constant enduring elements with thematic significance in the Prequels really that would have a larger 3 movie musical arc.

Yeah, another missed opportunity was playing around with the Battle of the Heroes theme in a major key or something like that for the first part of the movie, representing Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship. Would have been so cool to hear that theme getting more and more twisted as the film progressed.

I don't know who's to blame for that, though. Williams or Lucas. Or both.

Yeah, another missed opportunity was playing around with the Battle of the Heroes theme in a major key or something like that.

Would it even sound good?

Some fan tried to do that, but it was just a ripoff of the Smallville theme from Superman.

The Smallville Theme. John Williams channeling Aaron Copeland big time.

A very nice and heartfelt piece.

Only within the mind of the individual holding the opinion though. It is not some external, objective measure of quality that invalidates someone else's opinion who prefers something else, which is what I believe Faleel is getting at.