Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

Interesting how like, yet how completely unlike Cumberpatch and Freeman are to their literary counterparts. The same characters, but updated to the modern environment. (dropping the characters like they are in the book into 2010 would have been a disaster)

Interesting how like, yet how completely unlike Cumberpatch and Freeman are to their literary counterparts. The same characters, but updated to the modern environment. (dropping the characters like they are in the book into 2010 would have been a disaster)

What about dropping modern-like characters into 19-th Century, like in Guy Ritchi's version?

It looks like an interesting, but basically nonsensical film.

So is my opinion. To my surprise, I liked that movie, mostly because of the Downey Jr.-Law duo which really delivers. It was sort of a guilty pleasure to me. The story is merely an excuse for some witty or not so witty but geniuinely funny dialogues and gags.

I must seek it out then. I just hope Moriarty isn't in this one.

In the original Conan Doyle writings he only features in a single one story. But somehow he's been turned into a sort of Voldemort. Probably by those early Rathbone films...

Yeah, the movie is more about Holmes and Watson while Sherlock of course deals with that, but definitely puts more of a focus on the actual plots. Both have their merits, though the tv show is great and I hope they continue to do them for a few more years. Unfortunately, both are getting a considerable amount of film work lately so I expect that's unlikely, but at least we'll get six (hopefully) good quality films out of the duo.

Unfortunately, both are getting a considerable amount of film work lately so I expect that's unlikely, but at least we'll get six (hopefully) good quality films out of the duo.

Depends on for how long they signed up.

And neither Cumberpatch nor Freeman are very likely to become big Hollywood stars. They are more ensemble or supporting actors, character actors even.

Isn't it curious how the music in the episodes by David Arnold and Michael Price are somehow similar to the Hans Zimmer music in the Hollywood film. Especially the use of cymbalom I think...The gloomy atmosphere in minor..deep cellos...

Great music. Both the BBC and the Hollywood ones.

You mean how the Hans Zimmer music is somehow similar to the Arnold/Price score.

:)

Oh, I thought Zimmer got there first. :eek:

No, the first version of the BBC pilot was scored months before. I'm not sure if there was any imitation going on, though; I seem to recall Arnold saying it was coincidence - but I could be mistaken.

Could just be both watched The Seven-Per-Cent Solution. The music in that one is surprisingly similar to the two more recent incarnations.

No, the first version of the BBC pilot was scored months before. I'm not sure if there was any imitation going on, though; I seem to recall Arnold saying it was coincidence - but I could be mistaken.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I thought the show must have been temptracked with Zimmer's music.

Could just be both watched The Seven-Per-Cent Solution. The music in that one is surprisingly similar to the two more recent incarnations.

A good point. But I don't find them all that similar. There is one theme in there, a gypsy-esque that bears some resemblance.The rest is very Hollywoodish

The fact that we have solo-violins and mandolin/dulcimer sounds playing folky minor themes is what they have all in common. The violin part is understandable since Holmes plays the violin himself. But that the turn of the century eastern European style ends up in all those movies isn't all that clear to me. Modernized for sure in the BBC version, but still there.

Could it be that that sort of music was the top40 sound in Sherlock's time?

Saw the third ep which was an improvement over the previous one, which ran out of steam a bit.

Interesting that Cumberpatch and Hugh Laurie (in House) play essentially the same character.

Moriarty was an interesting, if maybe a bit... Russel T. Davies type villain.

I tholught that Moriarty was awesome. The tension in his scene is just superb. Moriarty felt like straight out of a Batman story. I haven't read his story in the books but I imagine he's completely different there.

Interesting that Cumberpatch and Hugh Laurie (in House) play essentially the same character.

That's because House is essentially modern Holmes. His relationship with Willson mirrors that of Holmes and Watson and last but not least even his flat number is 221B.

As for Moriarty, he was some sort of professor in the original stories, wasn't he?

That's because House is essentially modern Holmes. His relationship with Willson mirrors that of Holmes and Watson and last but not least even his flat number is 221B.

As for Moriarty, he was some sort of professor in the original stories, wasn't he?

LOL, you think I don't know that? ;)

Both are updated version of Holmes. But both are also different from the literary Holmes in the same way.

Both take a greater pleasure is talking down on other people then the literary version did. Both are quite bitchy. (though House morseso)

Cumberpatch's Holmes seems a-sexual though, like the thought of a physical relationship is beneath him. Something certainly not true for House.

LOL, you think I don't know that? ;)

I don't know. From your post it seemed like some sort of revelation to you. I guess, I underestimated you, for which I beg your pardon. ;)

• 2 months later...

Update from David Arnold:

#Sherlock update. All episodes are locked. Completing the music score, sound mix and grading. Done by the end of the month. Very exciting.

Source: http://twitter.com/#!/paul_mcguigan/status/132451078145966080

They must have filmed season 2 before Freeman and Cumberatch headed to NZ for The Hobbit. Though I can't imagine it would have taken this long to edit the footage together. Unless season 2 features a lot of scenes that neither Freeman nor Cumberbatch is in... but that doesnt' seem likely.

I agree a score CD will probably turn up shortly after Season 2 airs with music from both seasons

So finally I got around to seeing BBC's Sherlock. I don't think I need to explain why I thought it was so phenomenally addictive and all-around successful at this point. The chemistry between the main cast, the scripts, the plots, the tone have all been properly praised before.

Even the flaws I thought the pilot had (Sherlock's interaction with a realistic environment was inevitably very similar to recent incarnations of the myth like House than Sherlock Holmes, and I also thought that guiding the audience through Holmes' deductive process with superimposed texts as he explored the lady's corpse was a cop-out) disappeared in subsequent episodes. So much care, intelligence and, unlike other BBC productions, showmanship behind this.

My only complaint would be Andrew Scott's Moriarty. Not the way he was written, of course, but the way he was performed -- it was like channeling Ralph Fiennes' over-the-top Voldemort sans the gusto, as if he was forcing his psychopathically playful mood swings. It never once looked, to my eyes, as if Scott was having fun with his material, but as if he was trying to hit all the notes at once. In any other production, this performance might have been more than acceptable. In Sherlock's outstanding caliber, it happens to stand out a bit more.

I loved that Moriarty!

Something I didn't like was the cab driver in the first episode. He felt like an actor instead of a character, and the character as a whole the way it was written reminded me I was seeing just fiction and took me out of the episode. Otherwise it was a great episode.

• 1 month later...

he second series of "Sherlock" will air on BBC 1 on New Year's Day.

"A Scandal in Belgravia" will be shown on Sunday, Jan 1st, 2012 at 8:10 pm.

The other two episodes in this series of three will be: "The Hounds Of Baskerville" and "The Reichenbach Fall".

http://filmscoremont...mID=7&archive=0

I'm still waiting for word on when Season 2 will air!

Since Amazon.co.uk lists the Series 2 DVD release as January 23, 2012, one would think during the first half of January. IIRC, some tweets and such I've seen have sort of hinted at a possible New Year's Day premiere? Maybe?

...Yep:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...1/sherlock.html

http://www.tvovermin...-details/111731

EDIT: D'oh! Beaten to the punch by Stefan! Oh, well, another chance to stare at my lovely avatar of Karen Gillan... <drool>

Pity that each season is only 3 eps long. Before you get a chance to settle into it, it's already over.

Aren't most British shows 6 episodes per season? This is basically 6 episodes length, presented as 3 double-length episodes, in a way

Great news about the soundtrack.

Arnold had hinted about it, bit it had disappeared into the ether somewhat.

While I liked the music as a whole, there's one cue I want to see - the time-lapse shot where we see the security guard on the bank of the Thames. It's short and synthy though, so I'm not confident.

But if each episode has say 1 hour of score and we get a full CD, that's potentially half of each episode's score.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited for the Season 2 premiere tonight! Though, we probably won't get to watch it until tomorrow night.