A definitive answer needed: The Universal theme

Quintus

Did Williams write the latest encarnation? It sure as hell sounds like him and his orchestrations.

Only, the only info I can find on the matter suggests that Goldsmith wrote the last Universal Studios theme, but I'm pretty sure I know what theme they are referring to, its clearly a Goldsmith piece and well disposed of.

The latest theme can be heard in pretty much any Universal DVD release. Is it Williams?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams only Universal logo theme was composed in 1969, and used a thematic idea present in The Rare Breed.

The closest thing he ever came to have another Universal logo, was the reworking of the Goldsmith logo for the ET 20th Anniversary release.

The writing is about as "signature 90's Goldmith" as it gets...

The orchestrations and harmonies are a little too "simplistic" to be John Williams. Listen to the Dreamworks S.K.G brass chorale to hear what I'm referring to.

Goldsmith.

The immediately previous "Universal" theme (for Universal's 75th anniversary) was by James Horner.

John Williams DID write a variation of the theme for the 20th Anniversary of ET... it has the ET extension on it.

And Goldsmith did write the recent one...

Curious... who wrote the one before that? The one used on the OLD Universal logo--before they digitized it. (The used the footage for the begining of 'Jurassic Park' but not the music)

Curious... who wrote the one before that? The one used on the OLD Universal logo--before they digitized it. (The used the footage for the begining of 'Jurassic Park' but not the music)
The immediately previous "Universal" theme (for Universal's 75th anniversary) was by James Horner.

John Williams DID write a variation of the theme for the 20th Anniversary of ET... it has the ET extension on it.

And it ruins the wonderful Goldsmith fanfare while at the same time not doing justice to Williams' theme.

Marian - who thinks this should never have been conceived.

I actually love the James Horner Universal 75th anniversary theme. Anyone know who wrote the Columbia Pictures theme? I like that section with the horns at the end.

Of course, nothing will ever beat the immortal Fox theme from Alfred Newman (although I would like it if they would re-record it (it hasn't changed since 1997 or 1998).