#281 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32831 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

The Apple earbuds suck, PERIOD!

According to you, for me and millions of others they're perfectly fine.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#282 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26601 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:03 PM

They do suck no matter that you say and the millions of tin eared morons who use them

#283 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32831 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

Majority rules :P
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#284 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10264 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:27 AM

For you and millions of others, Star Wars music is nothing but the main theme and the Imperial March over and over again! ;)

#285 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20984 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:28 AM

Most people don't really care about sound. They care more about mobility and looking good; hence the disappearance of Hi-Fi in people's homes.
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#286 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71785 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

That's why CD's will die out in a few years, because most people think Mp3's or AAC files sound just as good, and you don't have to keep them anywhere.

sinterklaas-in-haren_zpsed8aec4b.jpg

#287 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15627 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:37 AM

Most people are idiots.

#288 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32831 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

For you and millions of others, Star Wars music is nothing but the main theme and the Imperial March over and over again! ;)

Therefore it must be true! ;)

#289 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 71785 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Ass, FOOL!

#290 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13388 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

If you think the apple earbuds are good sounding, then you need to clean out your ears after pulling your head out of your ass.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#291 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32831 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

But it's nice and warm in there.

#292 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21265 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:21 PM

The Apple earbuds are "good enough" for many people, and are quite useful for many applications.

I bought a pair of moderately pricey Audio Technica ATH-M50 studio monitor headphones on the advice of Alexcremers here, and use them specifically for listening to music at work and for use at my computer or laptop when working, playing games, or listening to music. They are really quite nice, even though the strain relief spring pulled out and I never fixed it.

They are also quite large. I look like I belong in a record studio, or even out on the tarmac landing airplanes. They are not really portable. I would feel like a darn fool taking them with me to, say, the doctor's office or some other place that I would want to listen to my iPod while I wait.

I had a great pair of Koss earbuds with the squishy inserts and great bass response, but one cord broke inside and they became junk. I also developed a sore ear from using them for too long. For portability, I usually use some Sony individual over-the-ear clip type headphones. But I can certainly understand why some folks are happy with the Apple earbuds.

They're cheap.
They were "free" with the iPod.
They feel a special loyalty to Apple and don't want to mix and match parts.
They don't care about their music or can't hear the difference.

#293 Trent Hoyt

Trent Hoyt

JLH Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:10 AM

The only time I really listen to my iPod on the go anymore is when I'm running. So every couple of months I buy a cheap pair and wear them until they get worn out. I mostly listen to my iPod in the car through the stereo.

I use these headphones at home or on an airplane.
http://www.amazon.co...18820863&sr=8-1
I dont like wearing them for long periods of time because they kind of just sit on top of your ears and they can get uncomfortable.

#294 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10264 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:14 AM

They are also quite large. I look like I belong in a record studio, or even out on the tarmac landing airplanes. They are not really portable. I would feel like a darn fool taking them with me to, say, the doctor's office or some other place that I would want to listen to my iPod while I wait.

Who's the more foolish...the fool, or the fool whose music sounds like crap? ;)

#295 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21265 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:49 AM

One must choose whether it is better to drown out Judge Judy in the waiting room or not hear the intern call your name to actually see the doctor.

#296 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13388 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:04 AM

I had a great pair of Koss earbuds with the squishy inserts and great bass response, but one cord broke inside and they became junk. I also developed a sore ear from using them for too long. For portability, I usually use some Sony individual over-the-ear clip type headphones. But I can certainly understand why some folks are happy with the Apple earbuds.

My dad has a pair of the Koss earbuds that you mention. I used them as a temporary until I could get me another pair of V-Moda Octaves. Like you after a while my ears got sore if I wore them for too long.

As I said I will always recommend the V-Moda Octave earbuds. They are perfect, they come with very small ear fittings for those of us who don't have big openings in our ears. Plus they are really true noise cancellation earbuds. I listen to my music while I'm at the store and it completely drowns out everything around me. Well if I'm listening to an action oriented score. The V-Moda also comes with a splitter where you can plug two sets of earbuds into one device. I think that is pretty handy sometimes.

GAC2.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#297 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21265 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:53 AM

I usually just go to Radio Shack and buy one of those single-piece Y-splitters (not the cable type) to do the same thing.

I say usually because I used to have the bad habit of misplacing them. The last gizmo that I bought, I haven't lost.

All this talk of bashing iPod earbuds reminds of me of the classic Game Boy, which also came with a pair of cheap earbuds....and they were good enough for that too. Granted, 8-bit audio from 1989 is not on par with a 360 kbps orchestral opus on an iPod, but I digress.

#298 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20984 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:35 AM

Posted Image

Creative Labs Aurvana Live

Apparently, these are like hidden gems. An incarnation of the famous Denon AH-D1001 which was actually designed or build by Fostex. They can be found quite cheap on the internet these days.

Alex
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#299 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16546 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

I'm sure they're good. But it's not something I would carry with me.

But it's nice and warm in there.

Yup. I tend to stay there quite a lot these days. ;)

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#300 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20984 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

It's more for listening to music at home, even though they are not that big. To be honest, I don't listen to music when I'm outside the house. Music is such a big part of my life that I sometimes need to get away from it and so I don't travel, bike or walk around while listening to music.

Alex

#301 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16546 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

Yes, I definitely get music-overload sometimes. But sometimes it can be a real sanity saver as well.

EDIT: Gosh, now I want these headphones. Read some reviews and they're not expensive at all.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#302 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20984 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

I love the youtube reviews of this guy:

#303 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21265 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

I don't travel, bike or walk around while listening to music.

I really resent the people who do. Ok, when I'm traveling as a passenger, I'll listen to headphones to immerse myself, but usually end up falling asleep on a bus ride, or trying to take photos out the window on an airplane. And when driving, I either have the radio on or my iPod plugged in.

But the people who wear headphones/earphones while jogging or biking...grrr. It's like they're in their own little world, oblivious to the rest of us. As a driver, this aggravates me. They should do a study of how many people are mauled by animals, hit by vehicles, or nailed by trains because they were listening to music and didn't hear death knock.

#304 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 71785 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

I really resent the people who do.

But the people who wear headphones/earphones while jogging or biking...grrr. It's like they're in their own little world, oblivious to the rest of us. As a driver, this aggravates me. They should do a study of how many people are mauled by animals, hit by vehicles, or nailed by trains because they were listening to music and didn't hear death knock.

Posted Image

#305 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21265 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:29 AM

You're European, you don't count. I don't have a shot of hitting you with my car. You give me the finger again, and I'll take that shot.

#306 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20984 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Yesterday I almost crashed my bike into another biker because she was completely in her own world while listening to music. It reminded me of Wojo's rant about folks wearing headphones in traffic.

Alex

#307 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21265 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

Wearing headphones while driving is illegal. Wearing headphones while biking or running on the open road or a trail should be as well. Wanna jog on a track or treadmill? Go right ahead.

Or...they just make it open season on people who wear headphones jogging or biking. Wanna listen? It's fine. But you're fair game if I drive into you. I'll start putting stickers right below the side mirror for the number of confirmed kills I score.

#308 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8438 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:28 AM

Great, Now I am on Wojo's Hit list.

well my words is made of fire time to burn

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

#309 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21265 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

Nah. The flip side is that it beats the hell out of my car, and the dings are expensive to get touched up.

#310 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 71785 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

Pedestrians in my country are fully protected by law against the scourge of the motor car.

#311 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21265 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

That's because you live in teensy ittle bitty country that anyone with enough time on their hands could walk from one end of the other to without having to drive.

Here, we drive to protect ourselves from the lions, tigers, and bears escaping from everyone's local menagerie.

#312 Jacob

Jacob

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

Oh my.

#313 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 71785 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

Thats great, beat up on the weak countrirs. Ill have you know we used to rule the oceans!

#314 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21265 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

:crymore:

#315 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20984 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

I dunno, I mean, nobody drives a car in Manhattan. There, you either walk or take a cab.

#316 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32831 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

If that were the case, there'd never be traffic.

#317 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16546 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

These are just extras. Severely underpaid, I might add.

Karol
Films On Wax

#318 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20984 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

If that were the case, there'd never be traffic.

Well, there is but they're no locals. The rest are cabs and people delivering stuff.

#319 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26601 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

Anyone has the Seinheiser HD 558? I can get a good deal on them

#320 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20984 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:47 AM

Checked it, sounded good, but not as good as the HD 598 (the ugly beige one).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users