Star Wars - Epsiode 3: (???)
Star Wars
Star Wars - Epsiode 5: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars - Epsiode 6: Return of the Jedi
[i]Doesn't compute....

Marian - [i]stack overflow

#42 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20331 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 06:11 PM

[quote=Marian Schedenig]
Marian - [i]stack overflow

:) i hated that error. It didnt let me play TIE Fighter :)

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#43 Ricard

Ricard

Founder of JWFAN

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 06:15 PM

Ricard, the most important release of the score until now is the one from the special edition, that has 'A New Hope'.

Luke, I'm surprised that you don't know that the Star Wars Double LP became the n.1 selling soundtrack of all time in 1977. It may not be the best, but it's definitely the most important release of the score. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Anyways i do not know what do you mean to say.

That both titles ('Star Wars' and 'Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope') are equally valid.

AND DAMN IT! I put 'for us, the SW saga lovers' to say politically corrct that the title is corract for us, the people who like all mivoes, not the purists.

So the 'purists' are not SW saga lovers. I see...

AND DAMN IT! (again) How many times have you and the people that thik like you said that the SW movies are only three (there is even people that thinks that there is only one) The star wars saga is made up of Six movies, so you are not a saga lover since you like as much three movies. And If you only like SW and ESB, less more, and if you like only SW much much less more.

:)

Ricard - Who doesn't really care about that 'SW Saga Lover' thing
Ricard II - Whose favorite SW movie is ROTJ.
Ricard III - Who thinks that TPM and AOTC can't be taken seriously as SW movies, or as movies in general. :)
"I find that Williams' scores have a strong narrative which comes best out in correct order." -- Incanus

#44 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20331 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 07:10 PM

1- Luke, I'm surprised that you don't know that the Star Wars Double LP became the n.1 selling soundtrack of all time in 1977. It may not be the best, but it's definitely the most important release of the score. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

2- That both titles ('Star Wars' and 'Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope') are equally valid.

3- So the 'purists' are not SW saga lovers. I see...

4- :)  

1- Lets see, my opinion is that if it is complete it is the bst release (my opinion) I dont care for 1977 release. I will never have it and i was -6 years old that time.

2- I'm sorry, you were saying that SW was the true title. Next time say it clearer, i would not have argued that. (i would habve sayd that A New Hope has more importance nowadays (and a decade ago, SW did)

3- Definately not. A movie is not a saga. And the SW saga is composed of 6 movies. If a decade ago it was composed of 3 (called more commonly trilogy) doesnt matter now. Now, is the fact. :)

4- What is so funny?! I said facts.

Ricard: no comment
Ricard II: Amazing. But you are still not a saga lover. Maybe old trilogy one
Ricard III: NO COMMENT

#45 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9478 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 09:21 PM

It was called just star wars, now it's called Star Wars Episode IV : A New Hope. The single title "star wars" no longer concerns one movie, but a saga of 5 (in the future 6).

#46 Ross

Ross

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 09:31 PM

Ricard, is this harsh, cynical style new? I always thought it was there, I just never believed it had ever surfaced.

Either way, I really like it!

-ROSS, who agrees with Ricard on this matter.
Does anyone still wear a hat?

#47 scissorhands

scissorhands

Contemporary Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2733 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 09:33 PM

Ricard - Who doesn't really care about that 'SW Saga Lover' thing
Ricard III - Who thinks that TPM and AOTC can't be taken seriously as SW movies, or as movies in general.

I agree only with Ricard III
Posted Image

Well, on reflection, I disagree at all with the three Ricards.
Posted Image
"You must understand the importance of the past, but if you don't realize the importance of the present and the future, you don't nourish that—and our art form does not—then it's like a tree that grows no new shoots. Without new shoots the tree dies." -John Corigliano

#48 tpigeon

tpigeon

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 09:48 PM

well, i just read that Episode III is going into production in June of 2003, which is much more in advance than the last two. this could be very good news for the score, becuase John Williams might be shown an almost complete version of the film. this means that he can score all of it and there won't be any bad edits because hopefully the film will be done by the time Johnny records the score in January of 2005.
just my two cents. :(

Ted
I try more and more in my films to suppress what people call plot. Plot is a novelist's idea. - Robert Bresson

#49 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9478 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 10:38 PM

All prequels began shooting 2 years prior release, so Episode III will not enter production sooner or later than the other 2 prequels. i do hope, John Williams scores new music for the Battle of Geonosis in a near future.

#50 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9478 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 11:25 PM

I just saw this icon in theforce.net and I fell in love with it, so it became my new avatar for the time being.

#51 ocelot

ocelot

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2339 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 11:41 PM

They might score the battle since they are doing rescoring on Episode 4.... I mean Star Wars, I mean A New Hope, I mean Episode..... WHO THE HELL CARES!!!!?! it's the same bloody movie. Originally anyway, and then we have the special edition for those who like that sort of thing. Either way, you guys are arguing over the fact that all of you have a version you prefer. I wish all movies had three different versions for people to choose from!
Sheesh!!!!!!! :roll:

#52 tpigeon

tpigeon

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 12:24 AM

Star Wars, I mean A New Hope, I mean Episode..... WHO THE HELL CARES!!!!?!

AMEN! :( beerchug

Ted
I try more and more in my films to suppress what people call plot. Plot is a novelist's idea. - Robert Bresson

#53 Guest_macrea_*

Guest_macrea_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2002 - 12:50 AM

The only reason to call the film "A New Hope" is to avoid confusion when one is speaking about the series of films. There is nothing wrong with refering to it as STAR WARS, whether you approve of the other films wholeheartedly or not. Even the filmmakers and Fox refer to it as STAR WARS. The trailers and the posters for the special edition 1997 releases did not call it "A New Hope." Even on the S/E soundtrack, the title STAR WARS was large and the episode title was small underneath. There is nothing wrong with this inconsistency since it continues to this day. For TPM and AOTC the episode titles were underplayed in the trailers in favor of "Episode I" and "Episode II" and the newsads and soundtrack albums favored the title "Star Wars." Yes the title "A New Hope" existed from the time the script was first published in 1978, but there was no reason to refer to the film as that until it was proven successful enough to warrant a sequel. Everyone, Lucas included, expected the movie to tank. Consequently, the first movie released in 1977, which became the biggest hit of all time and was nominated for Best Picture, and which was later declared a national treasure and one of the best movies ever made according to the AFI.... is called STAR WARS. Some of the foregoing posts make me feel like I should apologize for being 32 years old and hence able to have lived in a world for 3 years in which a movie called STAR WARS was known by that name only.

#54 Morn

Morn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8790 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 03:03 AM

[quote=Ricard][quote=Morn][quote]The title of Williams' work is Star Wars.[/quote]
But he didn't choose the title and doesn't own it. Lucas does.[/quote]
So? [/quote]

So?? So??? That makes his opinion on it no more important than ours.

[quote][quote][quote]It proves that Star Wars is the title of the score.[/quote]
Original title yes. But that is bloody obvious. I thought you were trying to make another point.[/quote]
Not only the original title, but THE title of the score.[/quote][/quote]

So?

[quote]Ricard - Who doesn't really care about that 'SW Saga Lover' thing
Ricard III - Who thinks that TPM and AOTC can't be taken seriously as SW movies, or as movies in general. :angry:[/quote]

:( At least someone else knows ROTJ is a great movie, not as good as TESB though. ROTFLMAO
"Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse." - Winston Churchill

#55 Ricard

Ricard

Founder of JWFAN

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 09:24 AM

1- Luke, I'm surprised that you don't know that the Star Wars Double LP became the n.1 selling soundtrack of all time in 1977. It may not be the best, but it's definitely the most important release of the score. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

2- That both titles ('Star Wars' and 'Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope') are equally valid.

3- So the 'purists' are not SW saga lovers. I see...

4- :(  

1- Lets see, my opinion is that if it is complete it is the bst release (my opinion)

And I agree with you. But you said 'the most important release', NOT the best. The most important release of the Star Wars score is the original 2LP. And that's a fact.

I dont care for 1977 release. I will never have it and i was -6 years old that time.

Perhaps that's why you don't know what I'm talking about.

2- I'm sorry, you were saying that SW was the true title. Next time say it clearer, i would not have argued that. (i would habve sayd that A New Hope has more importance nowadays (and a decade ago, SW did)

And I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but it was a discussion with Morn, who, like you, doesn't seem to understand that the title 'Star Wars' is as valid as 'A New Hope'.

3- Definately not. A movie is not a saga. And the SW saga is composed of 6 movies. If a decade ago it was composed of 3 (called more commonly trilogy) doesnt matter now. Now, is the fact. ROTFLMAO

Listen. The 'purists' or those who despise the prequels (but enjoy the other THREE movies -not just one) are as much as SW saga lovers as you are. Saying otherwise is disrespectful and offensive towards those who were there in May 1977.

4- What is so funny?! I said facts.

No. You compared those millions of people who (like myself) felt insulted by the Prequels, to the minority who don't think of TESB and ROTJ as true SW movies.

you are still not a saga lover. Maybe old trilogy one

You're to tell me what I am or what I'm not? :roll:

Ricard III: NO COMMENT

:angry:
"I find that Williams' scores have a strong narrative which comes best out in correct order." -- Incanus

#56 Ricard

Ricard

Founder of JWFAN

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 09:25 AM

I mean Star Wars, I mean A New Hope, I mean Episode..... WHO THE HELL CARES!!!!?! :

Uh? Many people do. Especially the new generation.

#57 Ricard

Ricard

Founder of JWFAN

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 09:31 AM

The only reason to call the film "A New Hope" is to avoid confusion when one is speaking about the series of films.  There is nothing wrong with refering to it as STAR WARS, whether you approve of the other films wholeheartedly or not.  Even the filmmakers and Fox refer to it as STAR WARS.  The trailers and the posters for the special edition 1997 releases did not call it "A New Hope."  Even on the S/E soundtrack, the title STAR WARS was large and the episode title was small underneath.  There is nothing wrong with this inconsistency since it continues to this day.  For TPM and AOTC the episode titles were underplayed in the trailers in favor of "Episode I" and "Episode II" and the newsads and soundtrack albums favored the title "Star Wars."  Yes the title "A New Hope" existed from the time the script was first published in 1978, but there was no reason to refer to the film as that until it was proven successful enough to warrant a sequel.  Everyone, Lucas included, expected the movie to tank.  Consequently, the first movie released in 1977, which became the biggest hit of all time and was nominated for Best Picture, and which was later declared a national treasure and one of the best movies ever made according to the AFI.... is called STAR WARS.  Some of the foregoing posts make me feel like I should apologize for being 32 years old and hence able to have lived in a world for 3 years in which a movie called STAR WARS was known by that name only.

bowdown :thumbup: :) :lurk: beerchug :ola:

#58 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20331 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 09:39 AM

ITs scary! :thumbup:

but cool anyways :)

EDIT: I was speaking about Merkel's new avatar

#59 Ray Barnsbury

Ray Barnsbury

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8941 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 08:01 PM

well, i just read that Episode III is going into production in June of 2003, which is much more in advance than the last two. this could be very good news for the score, becuase John Williams might be shown an almost complete version of the film. this means that he can score all of it and there won't be any bad edits because hopefully the film will be done by the time Johnny records the score in January of 2005.  
just my two cents.  :)  

Ted

Let's hope so! It's really sad that we have to wonder if JW will be able to write a complete score to any movie, let alone a SW one.

Ray Barnsbury

#60 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9478 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 10:26 PM

As I said, all prequels have started production 2 years prior release, so Episode III will not start no sooner nor latter than the other 2 prequels.

#61 Ray Barnsbury

Ray Barnsbury

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8941 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 01:44 AM

As I said, all prequels have started production 2 years prior release, so Episode III will not start no sooner nor latter than the other 2 prequels.

I hear ya! I'm just being optimistic. :|

Ray Barnsbury

#62 tpigeon

tpigeon

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 02:32 AM

my mistake. i just thought that he started a few months later. well, hopefully George learned his lesson and will give Williams more time (and more film for pete's sake!) to score the whole movie and get a move on the post production so that horrendous edits won't take place. if he's shooting principal photography in the summer of 2003, about two years prior to its release, it should pretty much be done by early February of 2005. there is no excuse for the butchery that has taken place in the past two movies with regards to the music.

Ted- who is still very very upset about what happened to the music in AOTC. :|

#63 Rogue_Leader

Rogue_Leader

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 05:00 AM

I guess Big John did not compose as much original music for AOTC as he did for TPM.

Too bad. Almost seems pointless having an expanded release now.

#64 Morn

Morn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8790 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 05:09 AM

Infidel! :|
"Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse." - Winston Churchill

#65 Rogue_Leader

Rogue_Leader

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 05:13 AM

Well I mean HOW MUCH missing music is there??

There is like what?? Nearly 80 minutes on the regular CD?? The one with that bonus track.

How much more music is there??

15-20 minutes tops I would think. Now enough to justify a second CD IMO.

Especially considering the score is NOT EXACTLY a JW masterpiece by any means IMO.

#66 Guest_macrea_*

Guest_macrea_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2002 - 05:18 AM

According to John Takis's analysis there is still more than 2 hours of score even after you take out all the loops, trackings, and TPM music.

(Thanks for the smilies, Ricard! Thought I didn't have a friend in the world!)

#67 Morn

Morn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8790 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 05:23 AM

Of course it is! :|

Especially considering the score is NOT EXACTLY a JW masterpiece by any means IMO.

Yes, but it's still great.

#68 UCFKevin

UCFKevin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 05:36 AM

So, Rogue, because you didn't like the score, no one else should get the chance to hear the extra stuff?

#69 Rogue_Leader

Rogue_Leader

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 05:56 AM

First of all I did not say I did not like the score. I thought it was good as far as scores go. I just think it is not very good as far as John Williams' scores go.

Secondly I meant I myself personally would not pay to buy a 2CD set if it only had 15 more minutes of music.

If there are people on here who would like that sort of thing. Hey, that is great for them. That is why I stated this was all MY OPINION. Others who disagree could buy it.

IMO any 2nd CD should cotain AT LEAST 35 more minutes of music. 30 BARE MINIMUM!!!!

15-20 minutes more is not enough IMO. Thats my opinion.

#70 Morn

Morn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8790 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 06:01 AM

Hopefully it would have a few alternates :|
Arg.
Why don't I just make a dvd rip of the score?

Morn - Who now can and doesn't need Chrusher ;)

#71 Rogue_Leader

Rogue_Leader

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 06:19 AM

I would honestly consider buying such a thing on 1 CONDITION!!!!

I was the score AS WILLIAMS COMPOSED IT!!!

NO LUCAS EDITS!!!!

Oh and get someone other than Sony Classical to handle it.

#72 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20331 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 09:57 AM

Listen. The 'purists' or those who despise the prequels (but enjoy the other THREE movies -not just one) are as much as SW saga lovers as you are. Saying otherwise is disrespectful and offensive towards those who were there in May 1977.  

Neil only likes SW or ar least he considers it the only SW movie. So he cannot like the SW saga.

And ROJ is as nearly despised as the Prequels by many 'purits' (although here it may not be the case)

#73 Ricard

Ricard

Founder of JWFAN

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 11:52 AM

Neil only likes SW or ar least he considers it the only SW movie. So he cannot like the SW saga.

Of course, if someone only likes one movie, he doesn't like the saga. But that's not what we're talking about! We talk about those who only consider the Trilogy (and not the Prequels) as true SW. Those are the 'purists'

And ROJ is as nearly despised as the Prequels by many 'purits' (although here it may not be the case)

1) That's a false statement.
2) Many 'purists' may not like ROTJ, but they still consider it a Star Wars movie (unlike the prequels). See the difference?

• Guests

Posted 09 October 2002 - 11:57 AM

Mmmmmmh..... interesting discussion. With these definitions, I could say Tim Burton is a purist...for instance.

I'm not a purist.
New SW films! Inserted deleted footage! New F/X!
That's what I like.

empiresun

#75 Lurker

Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 02:20 PM

Well I mean HOW MUCH missing music is there??

There is like what?? Nearly 80 minutes on the regular CD?? The one with that bonus track.

How much more music is there??  

The 14 track CD is a little over 76 minutes. The complete score I believe is about 125 minutes. That's almost 50 minutes of un-released music, and I don't think that includes the tracked in Phantom Menace music. What is needed is a properly assembled Attack of the Clones score, and not something hacked up like the "Ultimate Edition" of The Phantom Menace, but then we've been saying this since May.

And yes, Star Wars is the best film of the series. The Empire Strikes Back is a well made film, but it sets up "the saga" (Star Wars is a stand alone film and can be viewed on its own). Empire's biggest problem is that it's ending is Return of the Jedi, a film almost as boring as Attack of the Clones.

Neil

#76 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20331 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 02:44 PM

2) Many 'purists' may not like ROTJ, but they still consider it a Star Wars movie (unlike the prequels). See the difference?

No i do not. I Have heard purist saying that ROJ is AS bad as the prequels. And some only like SW so they do not think as SW ESB neither ROJ. Not on this page though

Luke, who thiks its silly try to intend the prequels are not SW films because HELL, THEY ARE. that is a fact as big as a blue whale. You can or cant like it, but not say childish things like that. It is not like George lucas was dead a decade ago and someone were trying to make more movies based on his work.

NOTE: please do not say that 'george' died a decade ago and now he is not the same. because its a lie, and you all know.

#77 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20331 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 02:48 PM

And yes, Star Wars is the best film of the series.  The Empire Strikes Back is a well made film, but it sets up "the saga" (Star Wars is a stand alone film and can be viewed on its own.

Neil

So can The Phantom Menace. And do not tell me 'of course, it is a rip-off', thnk of it as paralelism :devil:

And do not tell me: why the ' but who was destroyed, the master or the apprentice - camera goes to Palpatine' thing then?, becasue Darth Vader survived. and the empire was not overthrown

#78 Morn

Morn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8790 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 02:51 PM

TESB can be viewed on it's own. Think of it as an open ending. :devil:

#79 Lurker

Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 02:52 PM

It is not like George lucas was dead a decade ago and someone were trying to make more movies based on his work.  

NOTE: please do not say that 'george' died a decade ago and now he is not the same. because its a lie, and you all know.

No, saying George Lucas is the greatest living director would be a lie. :devil:

Creatively, Lucas is not the same person he was 25 years ago. And that's true for anybody. 25 years ago I couldn't even walk. The music that John Williams wrote 25 years ago does not sound like his current stuff. People grow and change. To deny this is childish.

Neil

#80 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25138 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 02:58 PM

Star Wars is:

1. One of the greatest films of all times
2. One of the most perfect films in it's original presentations.
3. One of the most mistreated and maligned films of all times.
4. A movie saga consisting of 5 films, with a 6th to be completed and released in May of 2005.
5. A line of merchandise that has made far more money than all the films combined.
6. A perfect score by John Williams.
7. A line of badly written novels.
8. A cherished movie event that only a handful of us here on this board were able to witness.
9. The 2nd true blockbuster, and the 2nd film to pass 100 million dollars in grosses
10. A parody of its former glory.
11. Many things to many people.
12. A plan by former President Ronald Reagan to build an antimissle defense system
13. Also known as Ep IV A New Hope.
14. A film yet to be released on DVD.
15. My personal favorite of the 5, soon to be 6th film, and my favorite score of the said films.

Joe, who loves Star Wars, both the film and the saga, but wished the prequels were better films, and who still has hopes that Ep III may turn out to be a good film, but I won't hold my breath.

:devil: Princess Leia's Theme from the 1977 score and original 80's cd release of Star Wars, and as Ricard said Ep IV A New Hope is no where to be found on this copy.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users