88 replies to this topic

#1 tpigeon

tpigeon

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:47 PM

Other than Williams' Indy score, what scores coming out this summer are you most looking forward to?

Although many seemed to dislike "Batman Begins," I liked it enough to be interested by what they do for a sequel. I'm expecting the hero theme to develop more, which (interestingly) it is in the first film, but its development doesn't show up on the album. Anyway, I think that has some potential, and JNH's atmospheric string writing will at the very least be interesting. His scores have been so good lately that his presence alone commands my interesting.

I'm also looking forward to "Hellboy II: The Golden Army," by Danny Elfman. As much as I love Elfman, I must admit that I would have rather Beltrami scored this. Beltrami is a rising composer who's written some great scores in recent years, including the westerns, "3:10 to Yuma" the brilliant "Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada," and of course the first "Hellboy," which layed out a tapestry of themes that will likely be abandoned by Elfman. I don't doubt Elfman will do wonders with Del Toro's imagination, but I would like to see what Beltrami would have done with his own themes.

I'm also anticipating Harry Gregson-Williams' "Prince Caspian" score, since I very much liked the first score and I think this film will open up some more creative possibilities for new themes and the development of old ones.

Anything else?

Ted
I try more and more in my films to suppress what people call plot. Plot is a novelist's idea. - Robert Bresson

#2 Ray Barnsbury

Ray Barnsbury

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8941 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:52 PM

Offhand I can only think of two: Prince Caspian, since I really like the first score and am looking forward to hearing both new themes and new incarnations of previous ones, as you said (glad to hear you like the first score too Ted - it doesn't seem to be regarded very well around here aside from John Crichton, me, and a few others). And then The Happening, just because JNH's work for Shyamalan is usally amazing.

#3 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14676 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

Stargate: Continuum by Joel Goldsmith.

#4 Morlock

Morlock

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16149 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

The Happening, The Dark Knight, Speed Racer, Frost/Nixon (Decidedly not a summer film...but for some reason, coming out in the summer). Very interested in what Elfman did for the Errol Morris film. Wall-E, of course. Newman is the surest bet after JW. These six, in addition to IJ4, of course, are the ones I'm most looking forward to.
I was mightily dissappointed by Gregson-Williams' first Narnia score...but you never know.
I should be resisting this, but I'm paralyzed with rage... and island rhythms.

#5 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32193 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

The Dark Knight
The Happening
Prince Caspian
Speed Racer
Frost/Nixon
Kung Fu Panda
Madagascar: The Crate Escape

I didn't know Elfman was doing Hellboy II. I'm definitely interested in that. I also just found out he's doing Wanted, so I'll add that to my list.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#6 Henry Buck

Henry Buck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9279 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

I'm looking forward to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams.

#7 guest

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

Indiana Jones 4 is the one I'm most interested in.

Speed Racer, maybe, it depends on what route Giacchino takes. The same with Wall-E and possibly Hellboy.

#8 vmw331

vmw331

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

Of course Indy 4. :blink:

I'm interested in hearing Elfman's Hellboy II, since I think he is suitable for a film like this, and plus, I haven't heard anything decent from him in a LONG time.

Also, I can't wait to hear the score to Prince Caspian.....I didn't know HGW was composing this.....I thought Arnold was.......
Anyway, maybe it was a change for the better. I just LOVED the first Narnia score (and movie). The Mr. Tumnas (or something like that) Theme, the Opening credits music, and all of the battle music was amazing.

#9 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26138 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

Indy 4

Absolutely nothing else.

#10 Morlock

Morlock

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16149 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

Arnold is soppsedly scoring the third film (I believe that he confirmed this, even though he was initially only rumored to be scoring this, due to Michael Apted's attachement).

#11 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • 26138 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

Prince Caspian looks like the most boring fantasy film ever.I fall asleep during the trailer.

#12 tpigeon

tpigeon

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:53 PM

I heard that too, Morlock. I don't know how I feel about it; it's kind of similar to Elfman taking over "Hellboy." If Gregson-Williams turns out a good score for "Prince Caspian," I'll be conflicted over the next one. I love Arnold in action-adventure mode, but I also like thematic consistency.

As for Giacchino and Newman, they are both talented enough to write good scores for their respective films, both which appear to offer a number of musical opportunities.

Ted
I try more and more in my films to suppress what people call plot. Plot is a novelist's idea. - Robert Bresson

#13 Trent Hoyt

Trent Hoyt

JLH Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

On the top of my head:

IJ4
The Dark Knight
Wall E

#14 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32193 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

Prince Caspian looks like the most boring fantasy film ever.I fall asleep during the trailer.

Well it looks just like LOTR so I guess that's a pretty boring trilogy. My friend told me C.S. Lewis and Tolkien were friends, so maybe that's why they're so similar.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#15 Morlock

Morlock

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16149 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

LoTR at the very least had passion. The first Narnia had none.

I heard that too, Morlock. I don't know how I feel about it; it's kind of similar to Elfman taking over "Hellboy." If Gregson-Williams turns out a good score for "Prince Caspian," I'll be conflicted over the next one. I love Arnold in action-adventure mode, but I also like thematic consistency.

I do too....but I did not like Gregson-Williams' themes, or what he did with them. Only one cue in the score really stuck with me, within and outside of the film (The Lullaby). And I really don't care about the movies- while I initially liked the first one, I really have no use for it. If I can get a score more to my liking out of it, it'd be a good bargain from my pov.

As for Giacchino and Newman, they are both talented enough to write good scores for their respective films, both which appear to offer a number of musical opportunities.

Speaking of Newman- anyone know what's going on with the Alan Ball film that premiered in Toronto last year? I really don't care about the film...but I am interested in the score.

#16 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

Definately Prince Caspian. I'm looking forward to the score much more than the movie itself, which I don't have high hopes for.

Speed Racer might give us some good Giacchino action cues.

John- still trying to come to terms with the fact that we won't get a Giacchino Star Trek until next year
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#17 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

Indy 4, of course, and The Dark Knight (this is mostly curiosity, I'm not really counting on a great score).

Is Goldenthal scoring anything this year?
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#18 Morlock

Morlock

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16149 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

As far as I know....nein. He seems intent on leaving S.W.A.T. his ultimate masterpiece and swan song (Across The Universe doesn't really count).

#19 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68484 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

I'm looking forward only to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams.

TPMSig_zps20d62aed.jpg

#20 QuestionMarkMan

QuestionMarkMan

Morning sir, sighting in heavy fog.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5378 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

Is Elfman confirmed to be taking over Hellboy? I thought I read somewhere that Del Toro said in response to not using Beltrami for Pan's Labrynth, that he'd go back to him for the next Hellboy.
Posted Image

#21 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9486 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

Indy 4

Absolutely nothing else.

What a surprise.

I'm looking forward to Indy 4, Wall-E, Prince Caspian (Chris, you're not alone in liking it. True, there's some MV elements but I still enjoy it). Not really excited about the Dark Knight. Zimmer's noise completely overshadowed whatever the hell it is JNH did on that movie.

#22 tpigeon

tpigeon

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

Elfman has been confirmed to score Hellboy II.

Ted

#23 Morlock

Morlock

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16149 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

Yes, he has. IIRC, del-Toro actually said something to effect that the main titles for the first film were rythmically inspired by Elfman.

I really don't have much of an opinion on this- neither film nor score left a strong impression on me, and I was a staunchly apathetic to Beltrami until 3:10 to Yuma (which I love)

#24 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

Arnold is soppsedly scoring the third film (I believe that he confirmed this, even though he was initially only rumored to be scoring this, due to Michael Apted's attachement).

He will be scoring this, he said it himself.

As for my most anticipated scores (not necesarilly in the Summer), there are:
- Indy IV and Lincoln by JW
- any upcoming score by Giacchino
- Dark Knight by Zimmer (even thoug I was disappointed with Begins)
- Quantum of Solace by David Arnold
- Prince Caspian by Gregson-Williams (I hope he will improve over good, but flawed first part)
- Happening by Howard
- any upcoming score by Michal Lorenc
- and Wall-E by T. Newman, of course

#25 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9385 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

Indy 4, Speed Racer, Wall-E, and The Incredible Hulk.

#26 Ray Barnsbury

Ray Barnsbury

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8941 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

Other than Williams' Indy score, what scores coming out this summer are you most looking forward to?

If you're just gonna list Indy 4, don't bother posting! :)

#27 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:17 PM

Who's scoring Iron Man, Debney?
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#28 Red

Red

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10698 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

Indy IV (for obvious reasons)
Wall-E (scores for Pixar movies rarely disappoint)
Prince Caspian (the first was pretty good)
The Happening (with their track-record it should be very good)
The Dark Knight (I liked Begins but it was disappointing, hopefully this will be better)
Speed Racer (why? Giacchino's "Roar". That's why)
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!
- Patrick Bateman on the Maestro

John Takis' Complete Hook Analysis

#29 Morlock

Morlock

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16149 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

Who's scoring Iron Man, Debney?

Yup.

#30 tpigeon

tpigeon

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

I thought I read some obscure composer was scoring it. Do you have confirmation that Debney is scoring it, Morlock?

Ted

#31 Morlock

Morlock

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16149 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that Debney was scoring it, especially given his previous relationship with Favreau...but both the imdb and Scott Bettencourt of FSM tell me that it's Ramin Djawindi (Of RC).

#32 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9486 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

Not to join the anti-Zimmers, but think that changes my expectations of the score from 0 (when I saw the trailer) into the negative numbers.

Oh, I forgot to include The Happening in my list. Should be a fantastic score if their track record continues.

#33 Quintus

Quintus

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 28829 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

Indy 4 and nothing else.

TGE - ready to be surprised by a great and unexpected score, as often still happens.

#34 Morlock

Morlock

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16149 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

Oh, I forgot to include The Happening in my list. Should be a fantastic score if their track record continues.

I thought that Lady in The Water was a step-down score-wise (well, there's plenty of terrific music in it, but I don't feel it comes together, and a lot of it means very little- no doubt an extension of my feelings for the film). So I personally hope it'll be an improvement....but even that score, lacking for my tastes, is a pretty high standard to hope for. It is certainly one of the most interesting collaborations going on, and I sincerely hope it lets JNH shine absolutely (Of his last few scores, some felt very workman-like to me, and even the best did not approach the level of his best score. Though Water Horse is immensely listenable.)

Not to join the anti-Zimmers, but think that changes my expectations of the score from 0 (when I saw the trailer) into the negative numbers.

I think I might rather an RC composer I know almost nothing about than a predictably solid, but not exceptional Debney score (which, for me, means every single Debney score save Cutthroat).

#35 Delorean90

Delorean90

No, it's just a coincidence.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

I'm looking forward to Prince Caspian all around. From the little clips I'm seeing in passing, Speed Racer looks like a turd, but I'm hopeful Giacchino will provide some transcendently nice scoring. I'm looking forward to seeing what (if any) improvements are made in The Dark Knight. Zimmer has talked about the thematic development, and maybe Nolan won't waste the talents of Zimmer and Howard on so much wallpaper (with brief glimmers of thematic and melodic development spotting it) for this film. I'm really curious as to how they'll handle the Joker, musically.

#36 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20381 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:29 PM

I also had notions that Debney was doing Iron man :D

Well, crap Only the SFX can save the movie now :)

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#37 Red

Red

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10698 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

I'm really curious as to how they'll handle the Joker, musically.

Yes, that's a big draw for me as well. I wonder if it will have comedic or sinister vibe, or a mixture of both.
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!
- Patrick Bateman on the Maestro

John Takis' Complete Hook Analysis

#38 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17607 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:47 AM

Indeed!

Well it looks just like LOTR so I guess that's a pretty boring trilogy. My friend told me C.S. Lewis and Tolkien were friends, so maybe that's why they're so similar.

The books are not very similiar. The Narnia film attempts to be simliar to LotR films, but it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo far off, one of the worst films I've ever seen. The score was pretty good, so I'm looking forward to Prince Caspian.

The only score I'm really excited for is The Happening (other than Indy 4, of course).
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#39 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20381 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:54 AM

Caspian is WETA... they can't do better ROTFLMAO

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#40 Kendal_Ozzel

Kendal_Ozzel

Admiral

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2544 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:25 AM

Speed fricken' Racer.

So in other words, a fitting sequel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users