6321 replies to this topic

#2641 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36089 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Why would you buy a show you've never seen before? Just rent/stream it, then buy if you decide you like it imho

0N4P3tb.jpg

#2642 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • 70666 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

or just grab a torrent.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#2643 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21067 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

It's on Hulu, which is far cheaper than Netflix. A fast internet connection makes buying TV shows and movies sight unseen just plain stupid.

#2644 davros72

davros72

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

Firefly is a wonderful show. Yeah, some episodes aren't as good as the others, but a poor Firefly episode is way better than a great episode of most other shows.

And I love me some Jewel Staite as Kaylee. :wub: (We even named our daughter after her!)

I've got the Blu-ray of both the TV series and the movie on my Amazon wish list (even though I had owned the TV series on DVD prior to marriage, my soon-to-be-ex-wife felt she could take it when she left the house before I moved back in, but that's a whole 'nother story... And don't get me started on what she took of my Doctor Who book/DVD/Blu-ray/CD collection...)

But yeah, I highly recommend Firefly. If you're a fan of Joss Whedon in general, definitely worth a look. If you're still on the fence, try the Hulu route as recommended before plunking down the coin.

As a related aside, here's how I'd rank the Joss Whedon projects I've watched:

1. Firefly
2. Buffy
3. Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
4. Angel
5. Dollhouse

#2645 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • 36089 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

!!!! How can you rank Dollhouse so low? The second season was SO. GOOD.!

And yea Jewel Staite as Kaylee was super hot. Why have I never seen her in anything else before or since?

0N4P3tb.jpg

#2646 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32643 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Why would you buy a show you've never seen before? Just rent/stream it, then buy if you decide you like it imho

We've been over this. You rent, I buy. I use my Amazon Prime to watch stuff I otherwise wouldn't want to own, like Arrested Development. Firefly is a series I want to experience in the best quality possible.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#2647 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21067 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'm glad that I did not buy the complete series of BSG on DVD (or BR) because after watching it through once, I'm pretty sure I would never watch it again. I realize the DVD (or BR) has commentaries and behind the scenes features -- and the extra scenes* in the finale are not shown on the Netflix version -- but it would become a ~$100 paperweight on my shelf that I wouldn't want anymore.

* Scenes such as Laura Roslin's date with her student (not important), Boomer telling Adama back in the day that she'd "owe him one" (vaguely important considering Boomer's comments to Athena), and Chief Tyrrol's comment about living in the highlands (not important). Those aren't on Netflix because the Wiki mentioned them and I was like WTF.

#2648 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29674 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

But you have to get through the 'less good' first season first, right? I've just been having a look at the show and I have to say I'm put off. It's another one of those glossy high concept tv shows with ridiculously beautiful people in every scene and even more unbelievably ridiculous plots. I just can't watch that sort of stuff without rolling my eyes every five minutes.

But I'll get it for my girlfriend, since she liked Buffy and Angel.

#2649 Wycket

Wycket

Happy 50th Doctor Who

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts
  • Location:A parallel universe, where Williams and Zimmer fans get along in harmony.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

But you have to get through the 'less good' first season first, right? I've just been having a look at the show and I have to say I'm put off. It's another one of those glossy high concept tv shows with ridiculously beautiful people in every scene and even more unbelievably ridiculous plots. I just can't watch that sort of stuff without rolling my eyes every five minutes.

But I'll get it for my girlfriend, since she liked Buffy and Angel.

Well, at least in Dollhouse all the ridiculously good looking people were actually part of the plot rather than just a representation what Hollywood thinks the world looks like.

#2650 Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Deserved the Best Picture win

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

I bought The Godfather a while back (Amazon had it for $25), and i just showed up today. About to watch the first one now. :)
Posted Image

#2651 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • 25404 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:37 AM

I bought The Godfather a while back (Amazon had it for $25), and i just showed up today. About to watch the first one now. :)

you paid 25 bucks, you got ripped off. it's only 10.99 now.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#2652 Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Deserved the Best Picture win

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:41 AM

If you really need the clarification, I got the Godfather Collection. Considering it's at $39.99 now, I'd say I made out pretty well.
Posted Image

#2653 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20777 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

or just grab a torrent.

That's why they stopped the show.
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#2654 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

or just grab a torrent.

No. They stopped the show because the Fox emitted it out of order and constantly changing the day and hour, and thus nobody saw it at the time.

If anything, torrent saved the show afterwards, allowing it become popular.

#2655 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17417 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

or just grab a torrent.

No. They stopped the show because the Fox emitted it out of order and constantly changing the day and hour, and thus nobody saw it at the time.

If anything, the Internet saved the show afterwards.

Wrong. Illegal downloading cannot save a show. It only has the power to destroy it.

Downloading illegally is worse than raping a new born baby. I thought Stiff made that pretty clear.

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#2656 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

:lol:

#2657 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20777 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

No money, no show.

Too bad my plea for buying Firefly at a ridiculous price will only lead to more illegal downloading. Sorry, artists, at least I tried.

Alex
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#2658 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17417 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

#2659 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

No money, no show.

What? Have you read my post? Fox hated the show, requested a new pilot, and managed for no one to see it on TV. Then went with the "no one is seeing it" and cancelled it. Downloading had nothing to do with it, it's the first time I read such a suggestion. Remember it was 2002. It was later though the Internet that the show became popular among the geekdom and also developed great DVD sales. Get your shit straight.

#2660 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20777 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Buy more, buy more now, buy more and be happy.

Posted Image

#2661 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • 70666 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Star Trek was initially cancelled after 2 seasons because of downloads...

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#2662 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17417 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Yeah, and Harry Potter has been cancelled after 8 films because of downloads...

#2663 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

By the way, Alex, what's with your signature? :lol:

#2664 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20777 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

Soon we all be playing Scrabble again.

About my signature, I found it on the internet, which is the mighty creator of torrents and other free stuff, so it must be true.

#2665 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

I prefer wargaming.

#2666 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17417 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Posted Image

#2667 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Posted Image

About my signature, I found it on the internet, which is the mighty creator of torrents and other free stuff, so it must be true.

I don't think Moore is ever going to watch it. Ironically, it must be the only adaptation of his work that's at least tolerable. But after the previous ones one kind of understands his viewpoint lol

#2668 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20777 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

I hope I can download those miniatures with my 3-D printer or else it's no deal.

#2669 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

I'm really waiting for 3D printers. I could model my own army in my preferred scales, with unusual periods, or with all the miniatures being different to each other. I could upload the designs to the internet or download free designs from there. The level of detail could be insane, as well as the posibility of painting them at the computer.

#2670 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17417 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

Posted Image

#2671 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hey, at least I try to make an historically accurate and nuanced activity. Totally not 300.

#2672 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17417 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hey, I'm not judging! I just thought you looked nice on that picture.

#2673 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

I know you're not judging, I just felt like slaming 300.

#2674 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20777 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

You are not slamming 300 since the artist (Frank Miller and thus Zack Snyder) is deliberately deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect. By ignoring this, you are only slamming yourself, Chaac.

Alex

#2675 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29674 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

Gay!

#2676 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

You are not slamming 300 since the artist (Frank Miller and thus Zack Snyder) is deliberately deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect. By ignoring this, you are only slamming yourself, Chaac.

Deliberately? I'm not sure how much of that is deliberate or how much is a manifestation of some of Miller's ideologies.

#2677 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20777 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

It's both the former and the latter. Did you know the Ancient Greek twisted the truth in their art as well?

#2678 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9709 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

That was the usual. Herodotus hated the Persians, they say. Not exactly fine anthropological work, probably :lol:

#2679 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • 25404 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

300 is a stylized film that fails. I find it unwatchable and the directors style is irratating. I do not care for these men and their painted on 6 packs. I suppose it does have some homoerotic allures, but they do not affect me.
I do figure it looks pretty good on blu. South Parks spoof is much more entertaining.

If you really need the clarification, I got the Godfather Collection. Considering it's at $39.99 now, I'd say I made out pretty well.

it makes quite a difference, as they are 3 separate films of unequal quality.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#2680 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21067 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I really need to give the second movie a better chance, as I've only seen it once and failed to appreciate it as much as the first, which is one of my all-time favorites. I've never seen 3, but it's on my bucket list.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Movie Talk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users