Looking back on 2008

artyjeffrey

Well, I'll be Captain Obvious and say that we're coming to the end of another year. With the conclusion of anything, one tends to look back and assess (I almost mispelled that, with humorous consequences). Anyways, looking back on 2008, there were some awesome releases, some of them new, some of them scores for which we've all pined for many a moon.

The Indiana Jones Soundtrack Collection

The Superman Movie Music boxset

El Cid

Batman: The Animated Series

and, because I'm lazy, "and more!"

So, what would you say was the most significant release this year? I can't remember a year when JW fans were so blessed. Well, 1977 was pretty good with SW and CEot3K.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Indy box, no question.

I also enjoyed the scores of Prince Caspian and the new Mummy movie and quite a few other releases.

Almost no reason to start this thread until we know what the Dec 16 Intrada and upcoming Prometheus releases are

Well there is a good chance the Intrada releases won't be what people here are expecting.

Unless Black Sunday or Spartacus is coming from Prometheus I don't think they will top what we already have.

Blazing Saddles!

Oh....and...erm....Indy....and Superman! (Man - what a double whammy!)

....and Masters of the Universe!!! mmmkay yeah!!!!

Didn't the Blue Box technically come out this year, too?

Good year...but 2007 is pretty dang hard to beat. Still, still, very hard to complain.

Didn't the Blue Box technically come out this year, too?

Good year...but 2007 is pretty dang hard to beat. Still, still, very hard to complain.

The Blue Box was released in 2008.

1982 was the last decent year.

1982 was the best year for film scores ever, and one of the best years for movies, ever

Genre movies, perhaps. High-point of 80's cultish movies, perhaps. But this 1982-greatest-year-for-movies myth has to stop. It's utter nonsense.

Blazing Saddles!

I agree.

Neil

Blazing Saddles was a more significant release than the blue box or the indy box?

Genre movies, perhaps. High-point of 80's cultish movies, perhaps. But this 1982-greatest-year-for-movies myth has to stop. It's utter nonsense.

Go watch your Altman!

That's a very thoughtful and kind thing to wish someone. Thank you.

Blazing Saddles!

I agree.

Neil

Blazing Saddles was a more significant release than the blue box or the indy box?

Well maybe not "Superman - The Music".

Neil

Ok year for new scores... a few that I thought were great, and loads that were merely average. I'm finding it hard to imagine how I will be pleased at the oscars.

Fantastic year for discovering older material - the Indy box, and I discovered a mountain of boots.

Yea it's so much easier to get boots these days than it was just 5 years ago it's silly. There's almost no need for the trade board any more

Cinderella Liberty, How to Steal a Million/Bachelor Flat, Blue Box, Indy Box, El Cid re-recording, Batman TAS. Yep, pretty fantastic year for releases

-Cinderella Liberty

-The Accidental Tourist

-How to Steal a Million/Bachelor Flat

-Duo Concertante

-American Tapestry (The Star Spangled Banner)

-Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull

-Indiana Jones boxset

-Superman boxset

-Tuba Concerto (Baadsvik, Singapore Symphony)

Hal Leonard Signature Editions:

-Jaws

-KotCS suite

-World Series "The Star Spangled Banner" arrangement

-Born on the Fourth of July

Definitely not a bad year for JW fans ;)

Have you ordered the BOTFJ Signature Edition yet? I'm curious to find out if the entire suite is in it.

Not yet, but I'm saving up money to get any of those. I suppose the score includes the 3 part suite as presented in the "Music from Stage and Screen" CD.

Nobody mentioned "Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend," that was a nice score to get. Not on par with some of the others, but still a very worthy mention.

Yeah, I liked it too. Had fond memories of the film and its music (though it's a bit too electronic for my taste). Bought the DVD afterwards, but that was a real disappointment....the worst picture quaility ever...

The Indy Brown Box and Deluxe Matrix are the two that stand out for me. The latter was completely unexpected. And I love it.

Almost forgot that; neglected that CD a bit because of the Indy box

We've really been spoiled by the labels the last few years.

Let's hope it continues.

It was a good year for Indiana Jones fan.

But a miserable one for former Indy fans.

Neil - who saw a 35mm print of Raiders last week

How did the snake reflection look on the big screen?

It was a good year for Indiana Jones fan.

But a miserable one for former Indy fans.

Neil - who saw a 35mm print of Raiders last week

How did the snake reflection look on the big screen?

You never see it.

The bouncing boulder as Indy and Marion escape from the Well of the Souls is another matter....

Neil